We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to watch Wallops Island rocket launch

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to watch Wallops Island rocket launch

Any local advice? Where is the best place to watch the April 17th Antares rocket launch from Wallops island? Should I go to the visitor center at the flight facility, or is it better in Chincoteague?

Thank you.

Chincoteague Island
Destination Expert
for Chincoteague Island
Level Contributor
501 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to watch Wallops Island rocket launch

We are all very excited about today's launch! Personally, I think watching from Curtis Merritt harbor at the South end of Main Street would be a good spot. Many friends who live in Atlantic like the view from Wishart's Point Road. Here's the link from NASA's Facebook page:

Launch details are here: nasa.gov/centers/…antares.html Information includes a visibility map (from where you should be able to see the launch weather permitting). The visibility map: nasa.gov/centers/…29.jpg

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,832 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to watch Wallops Island rocket launch

I was watching the live stream here: http://www.ustream.tv/nasahdtv#/nasahdtv and the launch was just scrubbed. No official word on new launch date, but possibly in a couple of days.

Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to watch Wallops Island rocket launch

Launch currently scheduled for Saturday at 5PM at the earliest.

Window extends to the 29th - but Orbital is putting chances of Saturday launch at 85%

Chincoteague Island
Destination Expert
for Chincoteague Island
Level Contributor
501 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to watch Wallops Island rocket launch

Due to upper level wind restrictions the #Antares launch has been scrubbed for today. The next launch attempt will be Sunday, April 21st at 5 p.m. EDT.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,832 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to watch Wallops Island rocket launch

I didn't get to watch it, but it launched Sunday. If things go to plan, that was the first of many yet to come!

6. Re: Best place to watch Wallops Island rocket launch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2014, 07:17