We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging Recommendation

lexington, KY
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging Recommendation

I am planning a trip to the Creeper Trail and would like some advice on lodging. Here is the criteria I would like to fulfill:

1. Prefer a cabin/lodge versus a B&B (or just something more private than a B&B).

2. Within walking distance from the Creeper Trail (1/4 mile or so - would prefer right on the Creeper Trail).

3. Within walking distance to a creek or river where we can tube (again - 1/4 mile or right on the river).

4. Two separate beds (doesn't matter if they're in the same room).

Any advice?

And - is one day on the Creeper Trail enough? To do one day on the trail and another day tubing?

One other question - while I don't expect a lot of nightlife in the area - are there any watering holes in Damascus or Abingdon where we could hang out in the evenings? Live music, etc. for 40-somethingers? If not, no big deal.

Thank you so much!

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,835 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging Recommendation

I rode a bike on the Creeper Trail and believe that a day is plenty. We stayed in Abingdon, so I can't tell you anything about cabins, etc in Damascus although we saw several along the trail. But check damascus.org for lots of links to cabins, B&Bs, restaurants.

As for a place for live music, try Withers Hardware in Abingdon.

Here's my Go List:http://www.tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i802-Life_in_the_Slow_Lane.html

lexington, KY
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging Recommendation

Thank you for your response. I forgot about Withers - I was there last year for lunch and didn't realize they had music. Great suggestion.

Thanks and thanks also for sharing your go list. Great info.

3. Re: Lodging Recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 05:27
Get answers to your questions about Damascus