We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kings Dominion or Busch Gardens with small kids - 3 and 5?

New York
Level Contributor
52 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Kings Dominion or Busch Gardens with small kids - 3 and 5?

Hi, I am wondering which is the best park tovisit. I haven't been to either park for a few years and don't really remember them. Busch Gardens looks like it caters mostly to older children, but you never know. Thanks for the advice.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
732 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kings Dominion or Busch Gardens with small kids - 3 and 5?

Your kids may enjoy Kings Dominion more. There is a heavy Nickelodean presence at the park, so lots of childrens rides and shows with characters from Nickelodean. Busch Gardens does have more family attractions, like a train ride, many shows and a lot of animals, so if your kids aren't familar with Nickelodean shows, they may like it here more.

Virginia
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kings Dominion or Busch Gardens with small kids - 3 and 5?

I think Water Country is a great place for kids of that age if you are coming for a williamsburg vacation getaway - - there is a resort right next door to them as well with a big pool and you can buy tickets for one day or more and as the kids need there naps - walk back and forth. We did it last year with three kids! And it was still a VACATION! Really enjoyed it. We have since bought a timeshare there and now can gave it to my parents for a week in June...which of course we will go stay with them as well.

New York
Level Contributor
52 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kings Dominion or Busch Gardens with small kids - 3 and 5?

Where exactly is this resort you are talking about ? Williamsburg or near Water Country ?

New Jersey
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kings Dominion or Busch Gardens with small kids - 3 and 5?

We are considering going to Kings dominion and staying at a friends house who lives about ten minutes away from Busch Gardens. Is Virgina Beach anywhere close by either park?

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,856 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kings Dominion or Busch Gardens with small kids - 3 and 5?

lj&cmommy, the beach is about 1.5 hours from Busch Gardens and 2-2.5 from Kings Dominion.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,853 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kings Dominion or Busch Gardens with small kids - 3 and 5?

Kings Dominion is quite a bit smaller than Busch Gardens. Means fewer attractions/rides as well as less walking. Might be better for the younger set.

New Jersey
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Kings Dominion or Busch Gardens with small kids - 3 and 5?

My husband does not want to pay a lot of money to go to Busch Gardens if there isn't really much there for the children. I can't answer that because I have never gone. Will it be worth our while to go?

Maine
Level Contributor
756 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kings Dominion or Busch Gardens with small kids - 3 and 5?

I went to both Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens two years ago (without kids) and my overall opinion would be that Busch would be better. I wouldn't say that either are really geared toward smaller children but I just thought that Busch had more of a variety to offer, some animals, shows, and rides. I dont really recall a great amount of kids rides at Kings Dominion but then again we were there for the coasters so maybe I just wasn't paying attention to that. I would think that overall Williamsburg would be a much better destination as there are other nearby attractions for the kids, Water Country, mini golf, go carts etc. We made a trip down to VA beach one evening when we were there just to walk the beach. Do not try that drive during rush hour it was not fun. Of Course they are not that far apart you could always go to both :o)

cortlandt manor, ny
Level Contributor
51 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kings Dominion or Busch Gardens with small kids - 3 and 5?

I took my then 6yr old to Busch Gardens last year. He felt like it was one big shopping area. Too much walking and not enough rides. Kings Doninion is on our list for this year-it seems more kid friendly. Have fun

Virginia
Level Contributor
381 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kings Dominion or Busch Gardens with small kids - 3 and 5?

Little kids will like Kings Dominion's Nickolodeum theme like the other poster said, but Busch Gardens has a kiddie area of rides about the same size as King's Dominion's. Busch Gardens is a much nicer theme park.

If you are going in the summer, the bonus to Kings Dominion is that entrance to the rides means entrance to the Water park area. Busch gardens keeps the parks seperate and charges seperately for both.

I like Busch Gardens better and think it is a nicer park for the parents too. My kids who are older are just happy to go to any of them. Bring a stroller.

Get answers to your questions about Doswell