We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what is great about Lynchburg -looking for nice town to stop

Roselle Park, New...
Level Contributor
2,482 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
what is great about Lynchburg -looking for nice town to stop

we will be going to Myrtle beach for one week. After that we will be going to Raleigh for a night and was considering staying in the Roanoke area. I came across the town of Lynchburg on these boards. Is this town worth stopping and is there anything for kids ages 3, 5, and 13.

Is this town similar to Charlottesville in any ways and are there any mountain views.

Mentioned in this post
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Raleigh
Raleigh
North Carolina
Roanoke
Roanoke
Virginia
Lynchburg
Lynchburg
Virginia
Charlottesville, VA
Level Contributor
115 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what is great about Lynchburg -looking for nice town to stop

No, Lynchburg is nothing like Charlottesville (LOL!). I've lived in both cities and love them both, but can't imagine what you'd do with kids in Lynchburg (unless they're into cemeteries -- that's my favorite attraction there -- extensive rose collection, historic buildings & even in gift shop in the old historic L'burg cemetery).

I think I saw another post that you had about Lynchburg vs. Harrisonburg and attractions on I-81... I'll answer that one next!

Mentioned in this post
Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,904 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what is great about Lynchburg -looking for nice town to stop

If you like baseball, Lynchburg is home to the Hillcats, a single A club in the Pittsburgh Pirates franchise. Tickets are only $7 and it's a fun evening. The marketing crew does a good job with little games and stuff between innings. The snacks are cheap. But if the Hillcats aren't in town, there's really nothing much for your kids. Head on to Lexington or Harrisonburg.

Mentioned in this post
Lynchburg
Lynchburg
Virginia
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
Lexington
Lexington
Kentucky
Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,829 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what is great about Lynchburg -looking for nice town to stop

Ginger, thought I'd post here as well the post I did for your question about Lynchburg and Harrisonburg [typos and all:)]

The younger kids would probably love Amazement Square. We've taken kids from 10 down and they really enjoy the several floors of things to do, including a slide that goes down a few of those floors. There is even stuff for 2 year olds.

It is downtown and it might be that there is a festival by the river then and a famous country singer. They had one last year. A country singer I mean, Randy Travis. They do have several festivals a year.

They also show movies on a big white space on a big old building wall....free.

You can rent bikes by the river at a shop called something like Blackwater and ride them to the city island, Percival's Island. It is small but very lush, quiet, nature galore and a path. People walk there, take their dogs and ride bikes. The trail is something like a mile and a half long. If memory serves, that is each way. www.ci.lynchburg.va.us/Index.aspx?page=520 for map and directions. We have just gone from the railroad track area along the river. and warehouses, which are now restored or being restored into lofts and businesses.

AND the kids might LOVE to watch the trains go by. You should get a bite to eat at Depot Grille. It is built partially out of railroad cars. You sit at tables or big booths whose seats are reclaimed church pews. Once or twice during every meal I've had there a train goes by and all the kids, big and little, rush to the windows and doors and dad holds them on his shoulders so they can see the train.

The Depot Grille is along the James River with the old track in between.

You'd need to reserach or call the city about the movie and festial schedule. They do also have special events at Amazement Square as well as the usual fun.

There are parks and swings kind of on the other side of town, but Lynchburg isn't very large so it's not too far.

While you're downtown you might want to drive through a few of the historic districts. During parts of the 1800's Lynchburg was the second richest city in the country and it's houses were not burned during wars so there are tons of amazing mansions.

The baseball games are fun, too. Funnel cake, great burgers, good old fashioned fun. We have met many people who actually follow the field teams during their vacations. There was something extra special about the old field. There is a new one the last year or two, skyboxes and all , but still homey. I remember one guy, perhaps in his 50s, who was spending his summer following the field teams in quaint fields and looking around afterwards and smiling delightedly and saying to himself and anyone who was around him, "I can't believe I'm seeing all this, I can't believe I'm here."

We have friends there and there's tons for resident kids to do.in Lynchburg as in any city They can be as busy all day and evening with sports, music, school activities if their parents allow. Fortunately, there is that wave sweeping through the country promoting peace and centering and time to oneself. I remember day dreaming. But that's another topic:)

Mentioned in this post
Lynchburg
Lynchburg
Virginia
Amazement Square
Amazement Square
253 Reviews
Lynchburg, VA
Depot Grille
Depot Grille
643 Reviews
Lynchburg, VA
Roselle Park, New...
Level Contributor
2,482 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what is great about Lynchburg -looking for nice town to stop

chicken lady - thanks for the information

explorer 3- thanks also for the detailed information. I will definitely look into these things and Amazement Square.

Mentioned in this post
Amazement Square
Amazement Square
253 Reviews
Lynchburg, VA
Lynchburg, VA
Level Contributor
194 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what is great about Lynchburg -looking for nice town to stop

OK, I realize that I am posting a very late response here, but just couldn't leave this alone. I was amused to read from chickenlady that there doesn't seem to be much here for kids, because I've never found a shortage of things to do here with my son. Actually, the Old City Cemetery that she mentions is a great place to go with kids. They have a restored train depot there, goats that kids love to see, and a pamphlet scavenger hunt for kids that's really pretty fun. You might not have guessed that it's a great place to take kids, but in fact, it's a great place to go on a pretty day.

I wholeheartedly second the endorsement of Amazement Square. It is a fantastic kids museum...way better than almost every other one I have visited (including Charlottesville, Richmond, Manhattan). Out of town guests who we have taken there have always been impressed. The entire Blackwater Creek trail is great for biking/hiking.

Some newer attractions which may appeal to kids: Rise Up Rock Climbing in downtown Lynchburg. Ice Skating at the Lahaye Center at Liberty.

We have some great city parks, such as Peaksview and Riverside. We're looking forward to the opening (hopefully summer 09) of the sprayground (zero depth splash park) by the Lynchburg Junior League in Riverside park.

Of course, there is all the usual stuff, like Putt Putt or rollerskating, that I suspect you can find in most places.

Mentioned in this post
Old City Cemetery
Old City Cemetery
221 Reviews
Lynchburg, VA
Amazement Square
Amazement Square
253 Reviews
Lynchburg, VA
Richmond
Richmond
Virginia
Lynchburg
Lynchburg
Virginia
6. Re: what is great about Lynchburg -looking for nice town to stop

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Lynchburg