We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stay in Lynchburg or Roanoke?

Which Lynchburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pace, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
stay in Lynchburg or Roanoke?

I will be meeting some family in this area over 4th of July weekend this summer and need some help in deciding where to stay. We want to vist the National D-Day Museum in Bedford and also Appomattox Courthouse National Park while we are there. How long does it take to drive to Appomattox from Roanoke if we were to stay there? Also, how crowded is it at the National D-Day Museum on 4th of July for fireworks?

Thanks!!!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,418 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stay in Lynchburg or Roanoke?

Lynchburg is sort of in between the D-Day Memorial and Appomattox Courthouse.

Why are you considering Roanoke? If your family is there it's not so much of a problem. Appomattox is about an hour and half from center of Roanoke. You can take hours at Appomattox Courthouse if you like. There's so much more to see than a lot of people think. The town itself has areas that are interesting to poke around in.

Pace, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stay in Lynchburg or Roanoke?

Meeting family driving from NY and we are driving up from FL. Do it every year to exchange my kids after they have spent time with grandma in NY. We usually spend one night in Wytheville and then head back our ways but this year my brother is coming also so we are staying a couple extra days. He & my son are Civil War buffs and want to see Appomattox. I had also found the D-Day Park and knew we would like that also. Can you recommend any hotels in Lynchburg?

Salem, VA
Level Contributor
324 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stay in Lynchburg or Roanoke?

I'd recommend the Hilton Garden Inn or the Wingate in Lynchburg.

If you have the time, I think your family may enjoy a visit to the Booker T. Washington National Park. You can find more information about the park on the nps.gov website. It is about 20 minutes away from the D-Day Memorial.

I would also recommend that you get a guided tour at the D-Day Memorial. The volunteers there are very knowledgeable and add a great deal to the experience.

Safe travels!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,418 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stay in Lynchburg or Roanoke?

We have stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn and the Wingate when reuniting with family also and very much enjoyed them. The Hilton Garden Inn is newer...about two years I think and very nice. The Wingate...see if you can get a room on the front, a 'view room', so you can overlook the city for a very pretty view. When we were at the Wingate we brought in pizzas and sodas, cups, ice and plates and the adults and kids had a great time in the dining area with some going back and forth to the pool right beside.

I didn't notice the train noise someone mentioned in the HGI review here on TA hotels.

Springhill suites is the newest one, and a higher level SS so we might try that one next time.

There are good ones that are not too expensive also, if these are not a fit for your group. Let us know.

You might also look into Ivy Creek b&b, a pre Civil war plantation (actually Revolutionary War history I believe). They have an indoor pool as well.

Lynchburg has a lot of history. It's historic tourism isn't built up as much as some places that depend more on it for their income and Lynchburg is a bustling city in other ways. So I don't know if you know about the history there too. During the Civil War there was some battle time seen but not as much as other places so there was not so much destruction. It was more a Confederate supply base. Lots of beautiful mansions in the historic districts. During parts of the 1800s Lynchburg was the second richest city in the whole country. Imagine. And lots of the grand old mansions and Belgian block streets remain in the historic districts.

There was a battle involving the Quaker Meeting House (where Union soldiers camped) and Sandusky House and Fort Early. Fort Early is open by appt it seems, not always open.

You can do a self guided or guided tour of the Meeting House:

qmpc.org/contents/meetinghousehistory.shtml

http://www.historicsandusky.org/

http://www.lynchburgonline.com/history.html

This is a good link that will save time and take you to a brochure we have enjoyed, Civil War Trails:

http://www.civilwartraveler.com/

Here is the Lynchburg page:

civilwartraveler.com/EAST/VA/va-southside/dr…

You might also be interested in Lee's Retreat Trail:

civilwartraveler.com/EAST/…retreat.html

Here's a better map of Lee's Retreat Trail...I used to have a site where it was all in one which I liked but can't find that now. I do still have the brochure.:

howstuffworks.com/scenic-drive-in-virginia-l…

The Lee vs. Grant Trail is also great for the Civil War buff:

civilwartraveler.com/EAST/…1864.html

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,418 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: stay in Lynchburg or Roanoke?

Wow, that was a lot of links:) We have found the info invaluable during our own tours, though, so...why recreate the wheel.

You know, I was just thinking about your July 4. I do know there are festivities of different kinds, food, entertainers, etc. at Jefferson's Poplar Forest, if that would also be of interest to you. Poplar Forest was Thomas Jefferson's getaway from the busyness of Monticello and sort of retirement home.

Also, for those who might not want to spend hours invovled in the Civil War things in Appomattox, there are cute little shops to poke around in on the Main St.

Pace, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: stay in Lynchburg or Roanoke?

Wow, this info is amazing! I am sure my son probably knows some of the history of Lynchburg. When we first decided to meet in that area, it was because I thought we could see everything in a day or 2. I quickly found out that was not the case! Thanks for all the info and we will definitely check out the historic part of town when we are there. Also would love to see Poplar Forest but don't think there will be time for that. I think I could spend 6 months thoughout the state of Va and still not see all I want to see!

Pace, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: stay in Lynchburg or Roanoke?

If that is the case, we may have to make sure we make it over to Poplar Forest, would so like to see that. Thanks for the other options since my 10 year old may choose to stay back with Grandma and do some swimming at the hotel and shopping in town. He is tired of learning about history, someday he will appreciate it!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,418 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: stay in Lynchburg or Roanoke?

fyi, the main street I mentioned I meant in Appomattox in case the whole family might go there but not all are as interested as others.

However, there is the Main St. in historic downtown Lynchburg with a great Community Market...farmers selling fruits, veggies, plants. Also some great food and restaurants inside.

Any of the three hotels mentioned are near the main "modern day" drag...Wards Road. There's a few shopping plazas with all the big box stores and restaurant row with most of the chains. There's a new movie theater in the mall, River Ridge Mall. It's a Regal and has stadium seating if your younger one feels like a movie. That Mall is not far from anything but is very close to Wingate.

July 4th I just remembered is a big time in Lynchburg for the baseball game...now he might like that. The stadium is packed. I believe the team is AAA and we've always enjoyed it. Actually we kind of liked it better when it was still a bit retro. It's been redone and modern now. More comfortable seating though. Then afterwards for the 4th there's great fireworks right there at the stadium.

Lynchburg, VA
Level Contributor
160 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: stay in Lynchburg or Roanoke?

You've gotten a lot of good information in the other replies that I won't repeat. If you like history and don't want to stay on Wards Rd (Every town has one of these....Target, Walmart, fast food, etc) Consider one of the historic B&B's (Ivy Creek Farm mentioned above) or the Craddock Terry Hotel downtown. Your 10 year old might enjoy Amazement Square (the children's museum) downtown. Another very interesting historic site in L'burg is the old city cemetery. It's actually a nice place for a picnic, and they have a scavenger hunt tour that is fun for kids. Other things your 10 year old might enjoy: Rise Up, which is an indoor rock climbing place (no previous experience needed) or Riverside park.

10. Re: stay in Lynchburg or Roanoke?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Lynchburg
Recent Conversations