We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel near Amtrak station

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
177 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel near Amtrak station

I`m trying to find a clean, safe hotel near the Amtrak station. Any suggestions? We'll be arriving around 8 pm. Is there anything in a walking distance with kids and luggage?

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,657 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel near Amtrak station

Yikes, no. A quaint setting where at one time one could drive down by the tracks to pick up or drop off but not now that it's modernized.

Maybe someone could tell you if there are cabs there ... even one or two to greet trains. If not, I'll call and see.

The neighborhood isn't bad but can be if-y imo. And it is a very very long walk to a hotel at any rate.

I think since the b&bs in Garland Hill have sold and closed the closest place to stay would be Holiday Inn Select downtown. However, if you're taking a cab you could really go anywhere.

Where do you need to be near?

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,243 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel near Amtrak station

There are no hotels in that area. I would take a taxi to another part of town. Personally, I would not walk around in that area at night with kids OR luggage. It may or may not be dangerous, but the immediate vicinity is commercial/industrial with very little night time activity.

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,243 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel near Amtrak station

When I lived in Lynchburg, I used to take a train fairly often that returned around 10 PM, and there were always several taxis that came as the train was coming in. They have radios so can call for more if needed.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
177 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel near Amtrak station

Thank you all.

What I really need is to rent a car, but at 9 pm I guess the only option is to take a cab to an airpor rental. I thought that, maybe, we could spend the night next to the station to take things easier after spending 8 hours in the train.

I was already informed in this post that there are not so many taxis around the station ... 22Tango said there are usually some. Should I show up and hope for the better, or better safe than sorry and arrange a taxi service? Does anyone know how I can contact taxi companies over there to get a quote to the airport?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel near Amtrak station

Hopefully a Lynchburg Local or Knows-it-All can answer this better than me, but a lot of the car rental agencies will meet you/pick you up.

Not sure if any are available there that time of night. I recently rented a car through Enterprise, and they came to my home, picked me up and took me to the rental shop to sign the paperwork and I went on my way.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,657 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel near Amtrak station

I called the train station. I've been there several times when it was charmingly old and I think three times since it's been renovated/restored. There are some shops around it now. From that area you go out to the road and it's only residential. Usually one might find hotels near the train station but Va's and the US's rail system is not as connected for travel to cities and towns thereby having some little accommodation at every station as in some other countries. Someone just told me today that that might be in the works though.

In fact, here is a photo of the station. It is taken from the residential street looking down at the station and a few shops:

www.city-data.com/picfilesc/picc3465.php

Actually Lynchburg was the second richest city in the country during parts of the 1800s and early 1900s. (New Bedford, Mass. was the richest) It was all about doing something and then passing it on to sell via waterways and rail. So in the late 1800s/early 1900s Lynchburg was well into riches of tobacco and into manufacturing. It was time to make itself a modern, cultured city.

The station dates to 1912. It is called the Kemper St Station. Before it was built just in the early 1900s alone two more colleges were founded; the wonderful Academy of Music opened and attracted top performers; the city's first public library opened, a magnificent building, Jones Memorial Library, now a historic building privately owned. A hospital was built. There were already trains for commerce down by the James River and warehouses and, well, Commerce Street. And on the outskirts a train station for passengers was built in 1912.

I recalled the days not too long ago when a train that was supposed to arrive at 10 p.m. regularly in Lynchburg might get there at 11 ot 12 or 1:30. So I called the station and the stationmaster was very nice and assured me that Amtrak has a much better record now for reliability. The train that gets in at 8:30 - is what he said the time was - is especially on time.

I recalled the days before the restoration in 2000 when the station was only open and staffed late at night for the potential arrival of the 10 p.m. and then through the night for the early morning train...5:30 or 6 or whenever at those times. It was closed during the day.

Now it seems there's regular staffing. The stationmaster said when you get off the train if there is no cab there just go inside and tell them and they'll call one for you.

So, now two things. You would need to determine a hotel to go to.

And/or you would need to determine if a car rental agency will bring a car to you at the railroad station. Doubtful since Lynchburg is not a big late night city...but I'll call a few in the morning and let you know.

And, even if you do get a rental car that night, where do you want to go? A hotel? or on your way someplace else?

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
177 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel near Amtrak station

Thank you so much for all the information and specially thank you explorer3 for going through all this trouble. I first went to the US in 1982 and the first thing that really impressed me was the hospitality and truthful kindness I found everywhere in the States. I havent been back for 15 years now but it really moves me to see that this welcome attitude is still there. I very much appreciate it. Thank you.

Or intention is to get a rental car to drive along the Blue Ridge, so we'll probably spend that night in Lynchburg or on the road to the Blue Ridge.

Lynchburg, VA
Level Contributor
160 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel near Amtrak station

Agree with Explorer that the early train, because in originates in DC and has so few stops, does tend to run on time so hopefully you won't have a late arrival.

The closest hotels are downtown (probably a mile away). I would not try to walk it at night. The Holiday Inn downtown says on their website that they offer a free shuttle from the train station. Or you could get a cab (I would probably arrange one ahead of time). In that case, you would just need to figure out car rental in the morning.

Alternatively, if one of the car rental companies will come pick you up and take you to their office to do the paperwork, I would imagine that you would wind up down by the airport, in which case you might want to find a hotel down in that part of town.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,657 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel near Amtrak station

HanschenKlein, so glad you have had good experiences with people in the U.S. We're happy to help you.

I spoke with a nice young man at Enterprise Car Rental which has three locations in Lynchburg. They will pick a person up and take them to their office...but close at 6 p.m. most days. They will gladly pick you up from your hotel the next morning, though. Here's their info:

Enterprise: 434-385-7511...3913 Old Forest Rd.

If you go to the one at the airport their info is: 4308 Wards Rd. ...434-239-5785.

Hours are 8-6 Weekdays; 9-12 Saturday; the Old Forest Rd one is the only one of their offices open on Sundays: 1-4 p.m.

The Lynchburg Station is Kemper Street Station and their number is:

434-847-8247.

I talked to a friend in Lynchburg who has relatives who come by train sometimes who get cabs over with no problem. Sometimes one is there already; sometimes the stationmaster calls for one.

For a hotel overnight you would need perhaps some sort of late night meal and breakfast...and without crossing a major road on foot.

Holiday Inn Select says, as Mountaincachers advised, they have a free shuttle service from the station. They said to call them when you arrive at the station. They operate from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. If your train is delayed for any reason, just get a cab.

Holiday Inn Select's number: 434-528-2500. You may give them a little notice and let them know your size family and amt. of luggage so they can have the big van or whatever:)

Holiday Inn Select does have a restaurant that opens for dinner. They are open till 10 p.m. The hotel doesn't offer free breakfast but you can purchase breakfast at the same restaurant. This hotel also has a rooftop pool

There are a few other hotels beside a restaurant (so no risky roads).

Quality Inn has an outdoor pool and an Outback Restaurant (dinner food)not far. They used to have a restaurant in the hotel but now just do breakfast. But their breakfast is free and very good...Belgian waffles, eggs, southern biscuits and sausage gravy, etc.

Sleep Inn has their "free deluxe breakfast". It is next to an Applebee's Restaurant for dinner which is probably open till at least 10 or 11.

The newer Hilton Garden Inn has a sort of access road...or a road along the highway which is less used than the highway and that can be used to walk to a nearby barbeque restaurant and a Bob Evans for all meals.

Super 8 is near a Macadoo's Restaurant and a Hardees and a sandwich/ice cream shop, Sundaes, and I think one might carefully walk to Candler's Station shopping plaza nearby.

There is a Day's Inn across from the River Ridge Mall...but that can be risky crossing that highway on foot. with a family I think.

You might also look into Federal Crest Bed and Breakfast...or any of the b&bs..., which would of course include breakfast and you might ask them about some sort of provisions for an evening meal or snack.

I hope Mountaincachers comes back with some more ideas.

Look into the hotels and see what you think. We can get more info on any one you are interested in if it's not online.

Lynchburg, VA
Level Contributor
160 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel near Amtrak station

Explorers, you are very thorough, so I don't have much to add. There are some great B&B's in Lynchburg (and obviously breakfast would be taken care of), though some may have policies regarding age of the children.

I guess it just depends on whether you want to try to get the car that night or not. If you are most interested in just getting to the hotel, I would take a cab or shuttle to the Holiday Inn Express and then have Enterprise pick me up the next day. If you go with that plan, I would use the Old Forest office as there will be less traffic and it puts you closer to how you would drive to get to the Blue Ridge Pkwy. There are several good restaurants either for dinner that night or breakfast the next morning within an easy walk of the hotel (or you could eat in the hotel restaurant)

If you want to get your car that night so that you could leave first thing the next morning, I would take a cab to one of the hotels by the airport and get a car that night.

Get answers to your questions about Lynchburg
Recent Conversations