We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rehearsal Dinner in Lyuchburg

toano
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Rehearsal Dinner in Lyuchburg

Saw the post from 2007 on Rehearsal Dinners in Lynchburg. Need to plan one for June 2011. I'm from the Williamsburg area and know nothing about Lunchburg. How'd it go?

Mentioned in this post
Lynchburg
Lynchburg
Virginia
Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,820 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rehearsal Dinner in Lyuchburg

Are you trying to find out from the person who posted the original 2007 question? You could try to pm him/her by clicking on the name and clicking on send message.

Lynchburg, VA
Level Contributor
193 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rehearsal Dinner in Lyuchburg

Congratulations to the couple! I am obviously not the original poster, but could give you suggestions if you let us know what kind of place/menu/sizeyou are looking for. How formal? Indoors or out? Some of the places listed in that original post (eg Meriwethers ) are no longer open. Grace isn't open as a restaurant right now, but I believe they are still doing special events (same chef).

toano
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rehearsal Dinner in Lyuchburg

Sorry for the misspelling of the city in the title. I would take suggestions from anyone. We will be staying at the Holiday Inn Select on Main. I was kind of interested in staying downtown so there wouldn't be a lot of driving involved. It will probably be about 30 people and I don't think we are looking formal, but nice. Inside I would imagine so then we don't have to figure a contingency for weather. I don't know about Lynchburg but the eastern part of VA gets hot and muggy. I've looked at Craddock Terry on line and am having trouble finding City View. Believe it or not, my dog ate my notes on some of the other places so I will have to search for them again.

Mentioned in this post
Lynchburg
Lynchburg
Virginia
Craddock Terry Hotel
Craddock Terry Hotel
900 Reviews
Lynchburg, VA
Lynchburg, VA
Level Contributor
193 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rehearsal Dinner in Lyuchburg

Options for downtown:

Craddock Terry is definitely a nice place...good atmosphere and good food. They were recently renovated to be a bit more casual/lower cost than they had been in the past. They are probably still one of the pricier options.

My favorite restaurant downtown is dish. It's a small restaurant, so I don't think they could do more than 30, but you would have the whole restaurant to yourself. Might be worth calling them to check on maximum number of people. Bull Branch is also a very good restaurant. The decor is more casual, funky, ecclectic, and doesn't hold a lot of people. Again, you would need to call to see about capacity.

There are some nice places for events downtown, if you didn't mind getting a caterer. These include: The Academy of Fine Arts, Riverviews, and The Parlor.

I know there is a new place that opened in the old Bank of the James building. I assume that this is City View. I believe that they just opened, which may be why you are having a hard time finding anything on line. I haven't been there, but plan to go with some friends next week and could let you know how it is (though I believe we are going to dinner at dish, then drinks at this place so will know more about atmosphere than food).

Mentioned in this post
Craddock Terry Hotel
Craddock Terry Hotel
900 Reviews
Lynchburg, VA
Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,820 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rehearsal Dinner in Lyuchburg

West Manor is now West Manor Events and is really expanded. Along with West Manor they now own Trivium, also in Forest, and City View. Here's their website:

http://www.westmanorevents.com/

Crystal George does photography for them...her work is lovely and so worthwhile to record the essence of any event, not only the wedding itself.

You might also give a look at Waterstone Pizza, which I don't think is aptly named at all since it is so much more than just pizza. And definitely not a pizza joint. It is the lower level of an old old building (now the Craddock Terry hotel) with massively thick walls and tall windows and all enormous stones that look fabulously hand done ages ago. I think 30 would about fill the place. It's not cavernous in any case. And it may be you could rent the entire facility.

There is a bar if one is interested as well and local beer from their brewery, although I haven't tasted it. I was there a few times in the spring the the flowers were fabulous in front. Looks like lots of parking and the whole redone waterfront area is at your fingertips a few yards up. Beautiful long rain garden, a square, etc. When we were there, they were building a deck on the restaurant for more space.

Mentioned in this post
Craddock Terry Hotel
Craddock Terry Hotel
900 Reviews
Lynchburg, VA
Lynchburg, VA
Level Contributor
193 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rehearsal Dinner in Lyuchburg

We stopped by City Views for drinks after already going out for dinner. We took a look at the menu, which looked interesting and definitely worth a try, but can't comment on the quality of the food. Our waiter said that they are doing a lot of special events there. It is on the 20th floor of the Bank of the James building, so as much of a city view as you will find in a town of this size. The atmosphere is kind of lounge/nightclub. There's one section with white sofas and pillows, area for a dance floor, and a dining area. I wouldn't describe the dining furniture as particularly luxurious...it's metal with molded seats. I don't know if that's the same furniture they use for special occasions.

7. Re: Rehearsal Dinner in Lyuchburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Lynchburg