We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We are moving PA. Lynchburg or Charlottsville? Help?

Which Lynchburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lancaster, PA
5 posts
Save Topic
We are moving PA. Lynchburg or Charlottsville? Help?

Hi

We sold our half a million dollar beautiful home and are looking to move away from the farm area and into clean air and more acreage. We, my parents and 5 daughters, are all adults with no need for a good schools but close to Medical Jobs.

We are very out doors people. Like to walk at night or day but like our privacy at home to garden...enjoy the sun...and family.

Any help on what is better Lynchburg, Charlottsville or Roanoke. Driving 20 min to 30 min. to a good job is not a problem.

Thanks!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,411 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We are moving PA. Lynchburg or Charlottsville? Help?

Lynchburg has two wonderful regional hospitals....fantastic heart unit, breast cancer unit (amazing), sleep disorder center, neo-natal intensive care, gastro issues...plus some doctors have centers in the fast growing Forest area...like gastro guys have one where endoscopics are done...and I think colonoscopies.

Charlottesville has a fabulous hospital center too.

Both areas are surrounded by wonderful suburbs, countryside and horse farms, the further you go.

Lots of outdoor activity, culture, galleries, history, family activities etc. in both.

Lynchburg is slightly less expensive than Charlottesville.

In Lynchburg we know someone who recently came from NJ and thought they were in heaven with the lower taxes and were able to buy an over 3000 sq. ft. newer house on nine acres for around $400,000.

Lynchburg has homes with mountain views, even in the city....it's nicknamed "Hill City". At many points outside the city, Charlottesville does too.

Both cities have airports.

You should come to get the feel of them. They're only about an hour and 15 minutes apart. Stay at b&bs, whose owners have usually chosen to be in an area and love it and are active in their area and aware of what's going on so that they can help you get acquainted with the areas. One way you can get a feel for them.

Lancaster, PA
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: We are moving PA. Lynchburg or Charlottsville? Help?

Thanks Explorer3 :) I think it is wise to send someone to check it out. We went to Roanoke and Smith Moutain Lake area and it was lovely but a little bit too isolating. So it is good to know Forest has medical oppur. and it is close to Lynchburg.

Thanks!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,411 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We are moving PA. Lynchburg or Charlottsville? Help?

Smith Mt. Lake was just in USA today in fact as one of the 10 places to get a houseboat for a vacation. It is a very pleasant, closeby getaway from the city/suburbs of Lynchburg/Forest. Very different laid back style. Yes, it has lots of retirees. It's kind of resorty and seasonal and after you leave the areas hugging the Lake....although there are many...then it can be narrow country roads for a long way, often even without a nice view. Many people feel it's a wonderful place to feel like you've gone to a whole different part of the country and it's only an hour, two, three hours away depending on how far away you live. Many people have weekend condos there.

The general Lynchburg/Forest area encompasses Campbell County, Bedford County and the City of Lynchburg.

Lynchburg, VA
Level Contributor
496 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We are moving PA. Lynchburg or Charlottsville? Help?

I grew up in Lynchburg, moved away for college, but returned because I think that it is such a nice area. My husband and I do not work in the medical industry, but perhaps you can check out www.CentraHealth.com which is the main site for Lynchburg General and Virginia Baptist Hospital (the 2 hospitals in Lynchburg). Lynchburg probably has a little over 175,000 people and with the outlying counties (Campbell, Amherst, Appomattox, and Bedford) you are sure to find suitable housing within your price range that can offer the amenities that you wish. (Another post mentioned Forest...which is in Bedford County which is the probably the most desired area to live in right now, but the prices will show that). We find the Blue Ridge Parkway a wonderful escape to hike, fish, camp and just get away from the hustle and bustle of city life. Also check out www.lynchburgmls.com for a look at what is on the market in the area right now. I don't think you would be disappointed with Lynchburg!

Lynchburg, VA
Level Contributor
496 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We are moving PA. Lynchburg or Charlottsville? Help?

If you decide that you would like to know a little more about Lynchburg real estate I can suggest a great agent! I'll check back to see if you do...

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,411 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We are moving PA. Lynchburg or Charlottsville? Help?

FYI, one reason Forest (Bedford County) is the most desirable for some is because the taxes are so very very low and yet the homes so very very beautiful, comparatively reasonable and the views amazing....and it's just one of the areas with acreage you want. People from the North understand all that! I speak as a former No'thunah. The children are disproportionately rated as regional, national, state stars in music, sports and academics in the areas that feed into the Forest schools. Since you want acreage, one of the several areas you would look into is Bedford County. Goode is past Forest.

The city of Lynchburg has older homes, understandably, and some pockets of new.; some gorgeous historic mansions in the six historic districts...millions elsewhere and now maybe around $150,000 and up for restored historic large homes, and around $500,000 for restored mansions. (During parts of the 1800s Lynchburg was the second richest city in the country, hence the mansions, some of which were used as hospitals during the Civil War....ummm, War of Nothun Agression...many of which remain.)

Even though you don't need a high school, it's good to know Lynchburg's E.C.Glass is one of the top rated in the country. That area has produced some Broadway, Country, Hollywood, Literary giants.

The lowest taxes are in Campbell County...unless you want to go further to Appommattox....but there are not as many upscale areas, although there are some.

You mentioned Bedford County....it's enormous. In fact, the Smith Mt. Lake you saw is in Bedford County. The County has a city, Bedford, which is cute and has a depot restaurant, library with cultural performances, nice historic homes, etc....again the views....all the things that people living outside the immediate area, in more of a country setting if you like, can enjoy.

Lynchburg has a symphony, galleries, all the 'big box' stores and restaurants now. It was on the tertiary ring but finally got all that...Startbucks, Penera's, etc. it's nicknamed "Hill City" as well as "City of Colleges". Lots of cultural, intellectual, youthful influence.

The counties are so close to one another that it is very common to live in, say, Bedford County, work in Campbell County and pass through the City of Lynchburg on your way.

Anyway, since you want acreage, you might look into Amherst County and Nelson County (both between Lbg and C'vlle) and Bedford County (Goode, Forest), Campbell County, Rustburg, even Appommattox. You should explore lynchburgmls.com for listings of the general area. (Realtor.com, so touted by many, is really not that great....slow getting listings on and slow, if at all, making changes and slow removing them when they've sold. ...although it does give you a general idea.)

We too have a great realtor...has overview of the Northern cities and hence a great appreciation of and preference for the Lgb/C'vlle areas. Don't know if you feel like sharing your email address. But if you do I could send you his info. At any rate, all the best, and as you explore deeper from a distance and find new questions, just ask. Also, as you explore the areas in Va. and go home and mull it all over, continue to ask.

All the best.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,411 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: We are moving PA. Lynchburg or Charlottsville? Help?

P.S. If you're exploring a wider swath across Virginia, have you looked into the greater Chesapeake, Va. area which is not far from Virginia Beach and Sandbridge Beach. Don't know if, since you're somewhat free as far as choices, you might like to be near the beach. Virginia Beach is actually a city, not just the beach, and is the fastest growing city in Va. Lots of amenities, nice beach....check the Va. Beach forum for some info if you're interested.

To confuse you further:) have you explored some of NC?

How about even less expensive SC but the area that is across the state line from Charlotte, NC area, where you can easily take advantage of the offerings of that large, wonderful city....and a bit further away from charlotte depending on what you're looking for.

Lancaster, PA
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: We are moving PA. Lynchburg or Charlottsville? Help?

Hey Explorer

Thanks for all your information. My parents are traveling right now to Charlottesville first to check it out. We like the location and will look into Greene area for a home with acreage. If that does not look good or affordable for a large home we will go to Lynchburg but Smith Mountain sounds good for vacations but not for living.

We did check out N.C. Chapel Hill area but the allergies are really bad their and air quality and comfort index is not better than Lancaster so a brief warm summer is not too much to handle for what looks like a beautiful area!

I can't wait to here what my parents find there.

I'll let you know. Thanks.

"Where my gonna live when I go home :)"

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,411 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: We are moving PA. Lynchburg or Charlottsville? Help?

Wonderful. Beautiful area. Not far from Mts. and DC.

Lancaster, PA
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: We are moving PA. Lynchburg or Charlottsville? Help?

HEY FINE FELLOW PEOPLE!

LAST UPDATE HOME search, Lynchburg verse Charlottesville.

My parents just got back from an exhausting search of northern VA(Charlottestown, Greene County area). They loved Charlottestown. You can see why it is the number one city in the US.

ADORABLE, CUTE, CLASSY, but when they looked for homes in that area there was nothing to fit our budget that would meet our needs.

The outlying areas were to isolating. A lot of bedroom communities. We realized that we don't want to be way out of civilization. WE like to take walk and see people too, so we will just have to wait on where to go.

Virginia is sure beautiful. If we could afford what we need in Charlottesville (large home, privacy, 1 acre not too far from shopping and a small town we would be there).

So thanks all for your information. Have a great summer!!!!!

Get answers to your questions about Lynchburg
Recent Conversations