We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Graduation wkend hotel

Washington,DC
Level Contributor
21 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Graduation wkend hotel

Just got word my niece will be graduating May 10th and of course the hotels are booked. Any ideas for nearby location to stay a night? Coming from northern VA. Appreciate any ideas!

7 replies to this topic
Lynchburg, VA
Level Contributor
193 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Graduation wkend hotel

Did you try the bed and breakfasts too? VRBO? Things tend to book the year before for that weekend.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,892 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Graduation wkend hotel

Bedford is not far and offers a couple budget-level hotels like Days Inn and Super 8.

A little further drive (about 20 miles) down US 29 is the town of Altavista which has a Comfort Inn and Days Inn. Then a little bit further down US 29 is the town of Gretna which has a really nice Hampton Inn. I've stayed there numerous times.

Mentioned in this post
Bedford
Bedford
Pennsylvania
Washington,DC
Level Contributor
21 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Graduation wkend hotel

Thanks for both replies - I'll check out Gretna! Appreciate the ideas!

Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,576 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Graduation wkend hotel

I think the good news is that, according to the sources online, only Liberty University is graduating on May 10.

There are 3 other local colleges- and some years 2 or more have graduated on the same day.

And that makes finding a room next to impossible in those circumstances.

Here is a link to the list of hotels that still had rooms as of 1/31/14: liberty.edu/media/1270/Hotel_Availability_1-…

You might try Alta Vista, VA as well as Appomattox, VA, Amherst, VA. and Lovingston, VA.

Also, good news that Hollins in Roanoke, Virginia Tech and UVA are all graduating a week later- NOT on May 10, so you might look for rooms as far as Charlottesville and Roanoke if you can't find them closer. (You can bet there will be no rooms available anywhere for the May 17 weekend when all those colleges graduate on the same day O.o .)

If I am assuming correctly that your niece is graduating from Liberty, then you will want to arrive early Saturday morning- the graduates begin processing at 8:45 am.

Our son graduates that day too and we plan to be there by 8 am.

Mentioned in this post
Roanoke
Roanoke
Virginia
Lynchburg, VA
Level Contributor
193 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Graduation wkend hotel

I also just heard that there is a bed and breakfast in Lovingston, which wouldn't be too far away.

Washington,DC
Level Contributor
21 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Graduation wkend hotel

I'll check it out, thanks

Virginia
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Graduation wkend hotel

There is a new Quality Inn still under construction by Liberty and the mall. I haven't heard the completion date, maybe check Quality Inn online and see if you can book.

Reply to: Graduation wkend hotel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lynchburg