We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving from Pittsburgh to Lynchburg

3 posts
Save Topic
Moving from Pittsburgh to Lynchburg

Help? We are moving to Lynchburg soon and we can't decide on a neighborhood/town. Is Bedford better than Lynchburg? We would like neighbors, but not right in our back yard. Which areas are nice with mountain views yet close to shopping?

Lynchburg, VA
Level Contributor
499 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving from Pittsburgh to Lynchburg

Lynchburg and Bedford are very different towns. Lynchburg city is has about 175,000 people and growing. I would wager a guess that Bedford City is less than half that amount. When you take into account all of Bedford County than that is where the population is. Lynchburg has been on the up and coming recently so shopping, etc are right at your fingertips. Bedford on the other hand; though you might have better mountain views, shopping is close to none. Perhaps you would like the perfect cross between the two which is Forest. With the onset of Wyndhurst (Lynchburg/Forest's first real community within a community) brings a lot of the finer things of a big city to a smaller rural area. Only problem (which I saw is a concern to you from your other post) is price. My husband and I are in the process of looking for a home as well, and for us it is very overwhelming price wise. Don't look to move to Forest for anywhere near a price under $125,000. Unfortunately the price of living here is extremely higher than (what I have witnessed) the employment wages/salary in this town. It has been that way for years. This may not have given you the best information, but perhaps this gets you a little more in touch of the Hill City. I can try the best I can to answer any specific questions you might have.

-Elizabeth

Lynchburg, VA
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving from Pittsburgh to Lynchburg

Hi, just wanted to give you some info and correct some misinformation. The population is just over 65,000 here in Lynchburg. As for the best neighborhoods, they are Rivermont, specifically the upper end, further from downtown, and Boonsboro. Rivermont is a historic district so don't expect a big discount. Also, Amherst, Bedford, and Appomattox are very different from Lynchburg in just about every imaginable way. Hope this helps.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,515 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving from Pittsburgh to Lynchburg

Looks like they moved around April '05. At any rate, for anyone looking for info in the future, nice with mountain views and still closs to shopping would be general Forest area, although some of the homes in the historic districts of Lynchburg are on hills which allow them to capture mountain views in some places. But...you'd need to be out a bit further since you don't want someone in your backyard. Forest's fastest growing population? 3-13 year olds.

Virginia
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving from Pittsburgh to Lynchburg

I have relatives in Bedford and Lynchburg. Bedford is growing, but still very "small town". Lynchburg has a very nice, major shopping mall. You can probably get mountain views in both places. You would have more opions for real estate choices in Lynchburg.

5. Re: Moving from Pittsburgh to Lynchburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

We're sorry - the TripAdvisor staff closed this topic because TripAdvisor does not facilitate discussions about relocation or real estate purchases because these topics are not considered to be travel-related.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2007, 19:44
Get answers to your questions about Lynchburg
Recent Conversations