We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route to I-81

new hampshire
Level Contributor
305 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Best route to I-81

will be taking 29 from north carolina but need to get back to I-81 to head north. last year we took 29 up to 64 and then over. This year looking to try something different. Any ideas?

thanks

14 replies to this topic
Virginia
Level Contributor
319 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route to I-81

Around Madison, 29 begins to head north east, so the distance back to 81 becomes greater. One option is to take 64 toward 81, but exit on US 250 to just outside Waynesboro where you would go north on US 340 to I 64 (then west to 81).

It's going to take longer, but it is a pretty route through the Shenandoah Valley. There are caverns at Luray and a couple of other places if you are interested in that.

Mentioned in this post
Madison
Madison
Wisconsin
Waynesboro
Waynesboro
Virginia
Shenandoah Valley
Shenandoah Valley
94 Reviews
Virginia
Luray
Luray
Virginia
new hampshire
Level Contributor
305 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route to I-81

thanks. what about leaving lynchburg and heading up 501 to buena vista and then to 81? looks like it might be a nice ride.

Virginia
Level Contributor
319 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route to I-81

Have not been on that highway so I can't give specific info. It is a 2 lane highway that traverses the Blue Ridge Mtns, so if you don't mind a curvy, winding road, it might be enjoyable for the scenery. Follows 2 different rivers and descends into several gorges.

I prefer the scenic byways myself and VA has some very nice ones that criss cross the mountainous parts of the state. If you are used to mountain driving, it could be worth a try.

Mentioned in this post
Waynesboro, Virginia
Level Contributor
210 posts
306 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best route to I-81

501 is an option if your want different scenery but it is 2 lane over the mountain with curves and more curves. If that does not bother you nice change. But to get from 29 to 81 will have to cross Blue Ridges somewhere. Another option would be to travel the Parkway if you have time.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
20,272 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best route to I-81

Greetings sunshine2go,

What date are you planning on driving through Virginia?

Kesh_grammy

Mentioned in this post
new hampshire
Level Contributor
305 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best route to I-81

we will be there on wednesday. we are going to go 29 all the way up toward 64 and veer off on 6 (I think thats the one) Then onto 81 and head north.

Waynesboro, Virginia
Level Contributor
210 posts
306 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best route to I-81

Yes Rt 6 to Rt 151 which run together for a few miles. Rt 6 branches off but stay on Rt 151 until Rt 250 W.

Rt 6 after branching off turns into a narrow curvy road. If you are looking for a place to eat Blue Mountain Brewery on 151 a nice place.

Mentioned in this post
Blue Mountain Brewery
Blue Mountain Brewery
930 Reviews
Afton, VA
new hampshire
Level Contributor
305 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best route to I-81

thanks for the info!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
20,272 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best route to I-81

sunshine2go,

Go w/ 6 to 151 over to 81.... avoid 29 North Charlottesville including Rio Road, major road construction.

Link below for 'On the Go in Virginia'

http://virginiadot.org/travel/

511 Virginia

www.511virginia.org/mobile/…

I hope this info helps.

Kesh_grammy

Mentioned in this post
new hampshire
Level Contributor
305 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply