We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

THings to do at McGaheysvill in May/June

Which McGaheysville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
Level Contributor
50 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
THings to do at McGaheysvill in May/June

Staying a week at Woodstone thru RCI. Was planning on Williamsburg but by the time vacation time was approved there were no more rooms.

We are all in our 20s, just looking to get of NYC and thought woodstone would be great quiet scene. Here is the plan so far:

Luray Caverns

Tubing

Wine tasting

ANy other suggestions?

Would Busch Gardens and Virginia Beach each on their own seperate days would be something doable? I see its 4 hour drive one way 0_0 too much?

any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated

I've missed you all on TRIP ADVISOR!

5 replies to this topic
Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
28 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: THings to do at McGaheysvill in May/June

Wow, I've lived in VA my whole life and never heard of McGaheysville...so, thanks for this post because I now know its where Massanutten is 'technically' located. In any event....you've definately chosen an area of the state that will be different than NYC. You're in the Blue Ridge mountains of VA and there are a number of scenic area's in the Mountains to sightsee. The Shenandoah National Forest (Skyline Drive) is nearby and there are a number of National Parks to picnic, hike or just drive through the rural areas. If hiking is your thing - several paths will take you to waterfalls.(Check out the Nat'l Park Service website for this park system for fee's to drive on Skyline Drive.)

You've suggested a visit to Luray Caverns, that is a neat site to see a cave and some underground sights; however, that's not a full day activity. If wine tastings are your thing...you're in a good area to map out several wineries in the area to visit. See the state tourism site to like to winery tour information. Many have free or low cost tastings, restaurants, etc. to enjoy.

Busch Gardens is a great theme park, winning awards for beauty. It's in Williamsburg, VA which would be about a 3 hr drive from Massanutten. So, an overnight in Williamsburg / Richmond or Va. Beach would be good. I'd suggest spending at least 2 or 3 days of your trip in this area if you're planning to do both the beach and Busch Gardens. The reason, the theme park can take a whole day to enjoy and get your money's worth.

Let me know if I can help with other questions.

Edited: 18 April 2012, 04:39
NYC
Level Contributor
50 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: THings to do at McGaheysvill in May/June

thank you so much for the suggestions. I was definitely thinking of doing an overnight stay around williamsburg or virginia beach to be able to get to both. I know a 4 hour drive back and fourth is going to exhaust me.

I definitely wanna visit the SKYLINE DRIVE and do visit some wineries. We are going with two NYC teens (granted they are about to be 20) and I want to make sure they dont get bored.

If you think of any other sites worth visiting then please do share. I don't mind driving an hour or two away from our resort (in any direction).

I even thought about doing day trip to DC on the bus. Gotta do my research if its worth it.

Virginia
Level Contributor
41 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: THings to do at McGaheysvill in May/June

I have stayed many times at Massanutten, and there are many things to do on and off the mountain. Take your hiking shoes; there are several trails along the ridge (from easy to a good hike) offering wonderful vistas and good exercise. There is a wonderful pottery about 12-15 min. away (take rte. 33 east; it's just on the other side of the mountain); nice selection of pottery; opportunity to see the craftsman at work, a very interesting fellow, very personable and a chance to mix with a "local." You can visit here, then return to the top of the mountain to access the Skyline Drive. Luray is a good trip; be sure to include the auto museum next door. About an hour away, just down I-81S in Staunton is the Shakespeare Theatre; visit www.americanshakespearecenter.com for info; a tour of the theatre is nice, even if you do not include seeing a play. Also near Staunton is the Frontier Culture Museum; see www.frontiermuseum.org; you can do the theatre and farm museum in one day. The post about B.G. in Wmsburg is helpful; a visit to Va. Beach from there is about one hour, though a bit chilly for the water this time of year. I have a 19 yr. old, so I'm acquainted with teens. Feel free to ask if you need more help. Enjoy your trip.

Edited: 28 April 2012, 15:19
Saco, Maine, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: THings to do at McGaheysvill in May/June

Monticello

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: THings to do at McGaheysvill in May/June

I would definitely second the recommendation to visit Monticello and Charlottesville. We made a day trip of that the last time we stayed at Massanutten.

We also visited the arboretum at JMU in Harrisonburg. If you like ice cream, stop by Kline's Dairy Bar, also in nearby Harrisonburg.

Reply to: THings to do at McGaheysvill in May/June
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about McGaheysville