We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to Area

Which McGaheysville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
E��
Level Contributor
43 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
New to Area

My wife and I are going to be visiting Massanutten in September. We've never been to this area before. We would enjoy visiting Civil War sites, the caverns, Slyline Drive, and possibly the Lynchburg and Appomattox areas. Any other ideas would be welcomed. Thanks.

6 replies to this topic
PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New to Area

I would recommend a day trip to visit Charlottesville and Monticello.

The arboretum at James Madison University in nearby Harrisonburg is nice.

You might also want to consider a drive to Staunton to visit the Woodrow Wilson birthplace and the Frontier Culture Museum.

Level Contributor
2,002 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New to Area

Wow the options are numerous depending on your interests.

Wineries, breweries, hikes, theater, intimate War of Northern Aggression history, music...

If you can narrow that a bit I can be more helpful.

E��
Level Contributor
43 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New to Area

Thanks for the ideas. How about wineries, breweries, and "intimate War of Northern Aggression history." Thanks.

Ruckersville...
Level Contributor
479 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New to Area

An additiional suggestion for you is to visit New Market, Va, Especially, the Balltefield and visitors center. I would then travel north on I-81 to the next exit and visit Shenandoah Caverns and America on Parade ( display of past tournament of Roses Parade floats) You may also want to check out the Meems covered bridge (rt 720) AND THE CONFEDERATE CEMETERY in the town of Mount Jackson.

E��
Level Contributor
43 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New to Area

Thank you for your ideas. I have been out of town for quite a while. We are leaving 9/14. I hope to use your ideas.

Lynchburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
5 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New to Area

The D-day Memorial in Bedford, VA is truly an amazing place to visit. The D-day Memorial and Thomas Jefferson's Poplar Forest are close to the Lynchburg area, if you make it to L'burg.

Reply to: New to Area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about McGaheysville