We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koh Mak or Koh Kut/Kood for 5 nights?

UK
Level Contributor
108 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Koh Mak or Koh Kut/Kood for 5 nights?

We are trying to choose between Koh Mak and Koh Kood for 5 nights in March. We have visited Ko Chang before but never either of these and we just want to know which of these two islands has the most to occupy us. We have thought about spliting our time but we are moving around quite a lot during our 3 weeks in thailand so we decided it would be nice to stay in one place for 5 nights.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks

Bilthoven, The...
Level Contributor
135 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Koh Mak or Koh Kut/Kood for 5 nights?

Hi Sandh_uk, I just came back from Koh Mak. We stayed there for 1 week. It has two main beaches. The one with Cococape and Koh Mak resort is the most quiet beach.

You can canoe, Bicycle and hike (1 route) and ofcourse enjoy the many massage places. Motorbikes can be rented for about 250 Baht a day.

Snorkeling is possibly but don't expect to find lots of colourful coral. Just a bit of simple pieces here and there. Turtle beach has the most coral.

Chai Chet, Klong...
Level Contributor
317 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Koh Mak or Koh Kut/Kood for 5 nights?

Koh Mak has more to occupy you, in that it has more cafes and shops etc and has roads you can easily take motorcyles around. On Koh Kood, your're relying on your resort to provide you with transportation around the island, as in the south in particular the roads are no more than dry mud tracks. Koh Kood has waterfalls, KOh Mak none as it's a flat island. Each island has good snorkeling off the beaches, and boat trips can be taken from each.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Koh Mak or Koh Kut/Kood for 5 nights?

Hi

We have stayed at Makathanee resort - lovely chalets with a pool and jacuzzi. It is on the beach with a beautifull sunset. You can also walk along the beach to other resorts. Just behind the resort are a few nice restaurants - Aimee is the best. Just up the road is a German guy, Claus, who runs a ice-cream shop, rent your motorbike from him. His price is only 250 Baht where Makathanee askes 400 Baht.

They are building at Cococape and a few people were very upset with all the noise. Well, they should be finished by March. I think the snorkeling is maybe better there. Although it is only about 1km from Makathanee. The island is very small but is nice to rent a motorbike and the roads are good as well.

Also visit Stop Noodle - a little restaurant where all the locals eat. The best and cheapest massages are at the "centre" near to the school at I think it is called mrs Pong. Can't miss it.

Enjoy

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Koh Mak or Koh Kut/Kood for 5 nights?

Hi

Forgot to tell you - do all your bookings through Colin from Cocodeebotravel. He did everything for us in December - from the taxi from Bangkok to the reservations at the resorts.

He even phoned us at the resort to find out whether we were fine and if we were happy with the resort. Never has a travel agent phoned me before to find out whether we are happy at the resort.

I can really recommend him!

5. Re: Koh Mak or Koh Kut/Kood for 5 nights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 15:20