We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

By bus from Bangkok to Trat

Sweden
6 posts
Save Topic
By bus from Bangkok to Trat

Does anybody know from where exactly in Bangkok the buses leave for Trat ? Is it possible to book ahead tickets for the bus ? Where to find the timetable ? We would like to catch the same day the ferry to Koh Chang. Can tickets be reserved for the ferry ahead? What are the costs ? We are travelling with children and therefore have to avoid any unnecessary waiting...

Thanks in advance

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
18,296 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: By bus from Bangkok to Trat

Buses for Trat leave from Ekkemai Eastern Bus Terminal, which is on the Skytrain line. The only way to book ahead is to go to the bus station and buy a ticket, like for that night's bus. The only time the buses get full is on Thai holiday weekends. It's difficult to reserve the ferry to Koh Chang - and no need to. At the bus stop you'll need to catch a songthaew to Laem Ngop, where there ferries leave.

Koh Chang, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Chang, Ko Mak
Level Contributor
3,732 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: By bus from Bangkok to Trat

The easiest way is to take the 7.45am or 9.45am buses from Ekkamai Bus Station, Bkk direct to the ferry piers. Price 250 baht. Get there half an hour before they leave and you should have no problem setting seats, unless it is a holiday weekend.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
735 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: By bus from Bangkok to Trat

I just did this trip last month. Be sure that you take the earliest bus possible if you want to make it to Ko Chang the same day. The bus takes about hours to get there. I used this site to help sort through all of the transportation issues, and look at bus schedules. http://www.koh-chang.com/Transportation.html.

You don't need to book ahead for tickets, but you should get to the bus terminal at least a half hour before your scheduled departure.

Finland
Level Contributor
983 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: By bus from Bangkok to Trat

I was also wondering, is there a site where I could see the buss timetable? Or is this still accurate:

www.ekohchang.com/Getting-to-KohChang.html

Some places say that the buss ride is 4h, some say it's 5h, some that it is over 6h... What might be closest to the truth?

Koh Chang, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Chang, Ko Mak
Level Contributor
3,732 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: By bus from Bangkok to Trat

If you're in a car then it's about 4 and a half hours drive from the centre of Bangkok to the ferry pier. By direct bus to the ferry pier just over 5 hours. If you go via Trat by bus then nearer 6 hours. Then add on 30 minutes for the ferry crossing and 15-45 minutes drive when you are on Koh Chang to get to your resort.

Koh Chang, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Chang, Ko Mak
Level Contributor
3,732 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: By bus from Bangkok to Trat

If you're in a car then it's about 4 and a half hours drive from the centre of Bangkok to the ferry pier. By direct bus to the ferry pier just over 5 hours. If you go via Trat by bus then nearer 6 hours. Then add on 30 minutes for the ferry crossing and 15-45 minutes drive when you are on Koh Chang to get to your resort.

Chai Chet, Klong...
Level Contributor
315 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: By bus from Bangkok to Trat

The transport.th website has been upgraded and was not working for a long time. It now seems to be working but is in Thai only.

Go here http://www.transport.co.th/

then select the 3rd item of the second horizontal menu link and at the bottom you should find the official BKK to Trat and Laem Ngop timetables, journey times and fares.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: By bus from Bangkok to Trat

I did this trip a few weeks ago. Caught the 9:30am ekamai --> Trat bus using cherd chai tour. This bus didn't actually take those going to Koh Chang all the way to Trat, dropped us off about 20 - 30 mins outside at a small hut with one orange songtaew out the front. Was a bit scary cause I wasn't expecting this and it seemed as if cherd chai were forcing us to use this particular companies songtaew as there was nothing else around.

We left Ekamai at 9:30pm and arrived at our accommodation on white sand beach around 5pm i'd say.

Chai Chet, Klong...
Level Contributor
315 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: By bus from Bangkok to Trat

actually, if it's where I think, that's not a bad place to be dropped off at, and I'm sure you're not forced to disembark there. If that place is the turning just before Kao Saming then it's only a 20 minute drive to the pier. Otherwise it's a further 20 mins to Trat, then another 30 mins to the pier.

Koh Chang, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Chang, Ko Mak
Level Contributor
3,732 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: By bus from Bangkok to Trat

Same as CocoDeeBo. If you cant get one of the buses going direct to the ferry piers and you take a but to Trat and are then given the chance to get off about 25km before you reach Trat to take a pick up truck taxi to the pier, then do so.

It will save you a lot of time and won't cost you any more.

Get answers to your questions about Ko Chang