We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koh Chang, Phi Phi or Krabi?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic

Hello - Am going to Thailand 14th January with my husband. Only got 6 nights to play with. Want sometwhere nice, not too overdevelped but still got a bit of life with a choice of restaurants, bars for the evening and a beach during the day. Nothing too wild but not too quiet either.

Very confused....and getting more confused by the second.

Any advice much appreciated

Blowout

Mentioned in this post
Koh Chang Resort
Koh Chang Resort
133 Reviews
Ko Chang, Thailand
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Pizza King Express
£, Pizza, Italian, European
Restaurant & Metzgerei Baum
£, German, Barbecue, Deli
Mordi e Fuggi
££ - £££, Italian, Thai, Pizza
Koh Chang, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Chang, Ko Mak
Level Contributor
3,845 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Koh Chang, Phi Phi or Krabi?

Koh Chang would fit your requirements & so would Krabi. But you can do Phi-phi as a day trip if you go to Krabi. 6 days on Phi Phi is a bit of a waste of time as you wont get to see much other than the backpacker shanty town and a small beach. Stay around the Ao Nang area or Nopparat Thara beach if you want somewhere a bit quieter.

On Koh Chang maybe the bungalow resorts on Kai Bae beach or somewhere on Klong Prao beach which is a bit quieter but has posher resorts.

Mentioned in this post
Koh Chang Resort
Koh Chang Resort
133 Reviews
Ko Chang, Thailand
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Ao Nang
Ao Nang
Krabi Town, Thailand
Kai Bae Beach
Kai Bae Beach
538 Reviews
Ko Chang, Thailand
Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Koh Chang, Phi Phi or Krabi?

I would go for koh chang too - phi phi is overrun with drunk american 20 year olds.

The southern beaches on the krabi coast are quieter and laid back, the ones closer to Krabi town have a few large resorts and are busier. Koh Chang though I think would suit you - I just had xmas there (KaiBae beach) - plenty of space on the beach and 2-3 dozen bars and restaurants behind the beach to choose from later on.

Mentioned in this post
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Koh Chang Resort
Koh Chang Resort
133 Reviews
Ko Chang, Thailand
Kaibae Beach Resort
Kaibae Beach Resort
123 Reviews
Ko Chang, Thailand
island-explorer-82
Level Contributor
614 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Koh Chang, Phi Phi or Krabi?

Im confused between Koh Chang and Krabi as well.

Confused if i should do Koh chang- Siem reap (too much travelling) OR the Lanta-Krabi Combo in Jan.

Like scenery, mountains and beautiful postcard perfect & clean beaches, good places to eat, maybe some go0d options for dining & diving.....

Krabi seems to have a better variety of resorts than Chang seems more "tourist friendly". Also for an island like Chang where not many people visit it seemed a bit expensive to me....

Koh Chang seems more rustic & off the beaten path...but i dont know which has better beaches and a better overall bundle...

any ideas would be appreciated...

Mentioned in this post
Koh Chang Resort
Koh Chang Resort
133 Reviews
Ko Chang, Thailand
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Lanta
Lanta
48 Reviews
Ko Lanta, Thailand
Koh Chang, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Chang, Ko Mak
Level Contributor
3,845 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Koh Chang, Phi Phi or Krabi?

If you want some variety then do Siem Reap & Koh Chang. Quite a few people do that now and combine a week on a beach with some culture and old ruins. Travelling isn't really a big issue. It's a full day's drive from Siem Reap to Koh Chang but you'll get to see a bit of the countryside and how real people live rather than just seeing the tourist areas.

Combining Krabi & Lanta is kind of like ordering French fries and a baked potato with your meal. They are both good, but essentially the same thing, so you might as well choose one or the other.

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
Koh Chang Resort
Koh Chang Resort
133 Reviews
Ko Chang, Thailand
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Lanta
Lanta
48 Reviews
Ko Lanta, Thailand
london
Level Contributor
391 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Koh Chang, Phi Phi or Krabi?

Hello,

I've been to Thailand seven times and spent time in all the areas you mentioned. Koh chang is my favourite at the moment as Phi Phi is stunning but very touristy and Krabi much the same (not as beautiful as phi phi). Koh Chang is really lovely and still fairly unspoilt (really like lonely beach). The other benefit is that you can drive down from bangkok, which takes out the hassle of internal flights.

Also worth looking into some of the island in teh Trang province as they are lovely too.....

Anywhere you go in thailand is beautiful - all the islands have something slightly different to offer, but they are all lovely and have a similar feel.

The only island I wasn't keen on is Koh lanta (beachwise and scenery) but thats just me being fussy.....

Mentioned in this post
Koh Chang Resort
Koh Chang Resort
133 Reviews
Ko Chang, Thailand
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
6. Re: Koh Chang, Phi Phi or Krabi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 18:18