We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the quickest way to get to Koh Chang from Bangkok?

Which Ko Chang hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Durham, NC
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
What is the quickest way to get to Koh Chang from Bangkok?

I fly into Bangkok at the end of this month and our group (of 4 people) is interested in going to Koh Chang for the week. I see posts online about the bus going into Trat and that it is a 5 hour journey. Is there any quicker way that is reasonably priced? I do not want to fly into Trat. Thanks!

Koh Chang, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Chang, Ko Mak
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the quickest way to get to Koh Chang from Bangkok?

The shared minibuses take about the same time as the regular bus, slightly quicker but unless 30 mins - 1 hour of your time is particularly valuable it isn't going to make much difference. Figure on 750 baht/person or so for a ticket. Buy them when you are in Bangkok at your hotel or a tour agent.

Private transfer by road is also possible, gives you the flexibility to leave at a time to suit you and is a door to door service, so you;re dropped at your hotel on KC. 5,800 baht for a van booked through a reliable tour agent on Koh Chang.

Could also try getting a taxi driver to bring you - this is possible, and depending on your haggling skills, you should be able to get someone to bring you from your hotel in Bkk to the ferry pier for 3,500 baht. (It helps if you know directions to get to Koh Chang as the taxi driver might not have been here before either and they sometimes come the scenic route, following Highway 3 all the way, rather than the shortest, quickest route - Highway 7, 344 then onto 3 at Klaeng.)

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the quickest way to get to Koh Chang from Bangkok?

Thanks Ian, I think we'll just take the public bus. But I have one question about the return. Our flight leaves at 4:30 PM on Saturday the 31st. A friend of mine who traveled there before said we might have difficulty in catching a bus back to the airport. Can you give me information about getting a bus from Koh Chang back to the airport in Bangkok so we can make our flight? Thanks, Chris

Chai Chet, Klong...
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the quickest way to get to Koh Chang from Bangkok?

for a 2pm check-in, I'd only recommend a private car or minibus leaving KC by the first ferry. Or, the morning flight from Trat (but for that you'd still be leaving KC at around the same time). Car 4000 baht, minibus 5000 baht.

Koh Chang, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Chang, Ko Mak
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the quickest way to get to Koh Chang from Bangkok?

Same as CoCoDeeBo. You'll need to arrange a private transfer to be at the airport by mid afternoon if you want to be sure of arriving at the airport in time. Or take the morning flight from Trat - Bangkok.

The only possible way by public transport would be for you to catch the first ferry at 0630 then head to Trat town and try to be on a bus going to Bangkok by 0830. Not sure if it would stop at the airport or not though.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,145 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the quickest way to get to Koh Chang from Bangkok?

Over Christmas I took a standard green and yellow taxi from outside my hotel in Bkk to the ferry terminal for Koh Chang for 2200 baht. The drivers first asked for 3500 but quickly agreed to 2200.

On the way back I got the same deal from a taxi driver who was waiting at the ferry terminal.

It was 4 hours door to door and very convenient - no carrying bags on the skytrain to the Ekkamai bus station etc.

Koh Chang, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Chang, Ko Mak
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the quickest way to get to Koh Chang from Bangkok?

2,200 Baht is dirt cheap. A definite sign that tourists are thin on the ground this high season. The cheapest I had heard before was 3,000 baht which apparently took a lot of haggling and talking to several drivers.

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the quickest way to get to Koh Chang from Bangkok?

Thanks! This info is great. I think we will take the bus there and take a taxi back. Thanks for the advice!

8. Re: What is the quickest way to get to Koh Chang from Bangkok?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 13:15