We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rides/taxis on the island?

Finland
Level Contributor
983 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Rides/taxis on the island?

I am bit worried...

Some people are saying that transportation between villages (like White Sand - Klong Phrao)is VERY difficult. That there are almost NO taxis to get and only way to get around between different villages is to rent a scooter (but we don't have a driving licence)...

Any comments about this?

Are we stuck to Chai Chet area if we choose to stay there? How can we get to White Sand beach for dinner in the evening (+back to Chai Chet area)? Or Bang Bao?

Queensland...
Level Contributor
3,015 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rides/taxis on the island?

Hi Jone,

Our experience with hailing down the songthaews when in Koh Chang in January was this.

We waited on the side of the road & hailed one down.

From Klong Prao to Bang Bao we shared it with another guy who was already in the songthaew.

Coming back from Bang Bao to Kai Bae we had to wait with everyone else until the songthaew was full,which is fair enough. The do not drive fast & when you are in the area you will know why.

Kai Bae back to Klong Prao we again waited at the side of the road ,a couple of full sonthaews went past us.

A lady asked us if we wanted a lift on her bike but when we said we were going to Klong Prao she got on her mobile & a couple of minutes later an empty Songthaew pulled up next to us.

We never went to Bang Bao at night but did stay in White sands after Klong Prao & we did see songthaew around early evening.

However when we were leaving Oodies Bar White Sands around 1 am then the main road was pretty deserted.

This was only our experience. I hope someone else can give you more info. CJ

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rides/taxis on the island?

Chucky - loved it about the lady calling a Songthaew for you - the Thailand I love ! ( probably a brother or friend but who cares )

Too long since for me to know the Songthaew prices but perhaps you could 'share' as I am sure many would want to know the prices these days.

Chai Chet, Klong...
Level Contributor
315 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rides/taxis on the island?

this time of year you'll have no problem. I see loads of people waiting just a few minutes on the main road in Chai Chet.

Chai Chet to Whitesands/the pier - 60 baht

Chai Chet to Bang Bao - 120 baht (probably need to change at Kai Bae or Lonely beach)

prices per person for a fullish taxi.

In low season expect much longer waits though.

Koh Chang, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Chang, Ko Mak
Level Contributor
3,732 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rides/taxis on the island?

From Chai Chet to White Sand wont be a problem. You'll be able to find people to take you home. Last week we had guests go to White Sand beach to watch the Chanpions League game. They got back a songtaew to take them back at around 3am without any hassle . . . and we're a mile off the main road down a dirt track. Also from Bangbao it's no problem so long as you dont come back very late. You can still get a songtaew at around 9.30-10pm, some other of our guests, a Danish family with young kids, did this last week when they went to Bangbao for an evening meal.

Just don't expect to pay the usual daytime rate. It will be more expensive. But still way cheaper than a taxi home in Finland.

Ko Chang, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rides/taxis on the island?

Taxi between 6 am and 10 pm no problem at all. After sunset add an extra 50 Baht, from Bang Bao you can double the fare. After 10pm it might be difficult to get back from Bang Bao.

After 11pm going back from White Sands, the driver might ask you 500 Baht for the trip to Chai Chet. There are Taxis in White Sand at least till 2:30 am, when everything is closed.

If you are not an experienced scooterist, don't get tempted to rent one. Driving on the island is a difficult task with many accidents every day.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
3,015 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rides/taxis on the island?

lol Monica, Yes i know what you mean. We always meet nice people along our way thru Thailand.

The cost of the songthaew's were caught that day was as follows:

Klong Prao to BangBao was 100 bht each.

BangBao to KaiBae beach the guy charged us 100 baht each. Our friend questioned this as she thought it was too much but we realy didn't mind & paid the fee.

Kai Bae beach to Baan Rim Na at Klong Prao beach the guy only charged 50baht for the three of us.

We can't wait to visit Koh Chang again we really did enjoy our time there. CJ

7. Re: Rides/taxis on the island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 02:18
Get answers to your questions about Ko Chang