We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koh Chang Weather in September

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Koh Chang Weather in September

Anyone had experience or knowledge of Ko Changs' weather in September? Where best to head for beaches in Thailand that time of year?

Mentioned in this post
Koh Chang, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Chang, Ko Mak
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Koh Chang Weather in September

September is still the rainy season and so the weather is unpredictable. Maybe some lovely days, maybe some truly awful ones. Most days will see some sunshine but it's pretty impossible to predict with any degree of certainty. If you need the sun and arent prepared with a Plan B in case you are stuck in the middle of torrential rains for a few days then maybe Koh Chang isnt ideal.

See the other weather thread that's running now and you'll get an idea of how changeable the weather is. The first 10 days of this month were excellent, the last 10 days have been on the whole very wet.

Samui and other southern islands are drier in September

Mentioned in this post
Koh Chang Resort
Koh Chang Resort
133 Reviews
Ko Chang, Thailand
Ko Chang, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Koh Chang Weather in September

There used to be seasons very different than the ones you have in London. As far as I am concerned, in London you either have rain or you might have rain or you have rain very soon or you just had rain.

On Koh Chang you had a dry season from November through End of April with just no rain at all. The last 2 years we had rain here and then starting middle of January. And then you had a wet season, that is still the same.

And then we had September with the worst floodings of the whole year.

In my experience and what I have heard from others, expect all of September grey with a whole lot of heavy rain falls. If rain then stops for a day or 2 call it good luck.

There is a very different monsoon in Samui usually starting in November. I would strongly recommend you make it to Samui if you want to do something else but enjoying many open air showers, floodings and mudslides. However you will save a lot of money since you will not need an own bathroom, just leave your hut; prices for such accommodation starts at 100THB and maybe you can eventually enjoy a mild shower while laying on the bed.

Usually the sea is quite rough and there are heavy winds in September on Koh Chang. Diving will be imposssible and most boats in the Marine Park don't operate.

Mentioned in this post
Koh Chang Resort
Koh Chang Resort
133 Reviews
Ko Chang, Thailand
Hong Kong
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Koh Chang Weather in September

very useful info for me as i have planned to visit Ko Chang on Sep 30 - Oct 6. However, i feel a bit disappointed after reading the comment about the terrible weather in Sep. In fact, i would like to join the local tour spending a day on snorkeling and sea kayak. Can somebody tell me if it is still possible? If not, i guess i need to think about a backup plan. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Ko Chang
Ko Chang
Trat Province, Thailand
Ko Chang, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Koh Chang Weather in September

Hi Bluetooth

it is a matter of good or bad luck. Nobody can predict the weather beginning October.

Many tours will start operating not earlier than end of October and the same with dive shops. Some run all year long, so if the weather will allow, you can do your trip. Kayak no problem at all, many are rented through resorts and most will be open.

Chai Chet, Klong...
Level Contributor
320 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Koh Chang Weather in September

Plan to come here. Even now, there's folks here and we're in the middle of the "rainy season", but today and yesterday were gorgeous days. A week ago the weather was dreadful, people were here, and they decided to head off somewhere else... a few hours away, they'd be in Samui or some place. Point is, you can get away from KC quite quickly and easily if something (like the weather) is not to your liking, as we're only 5 hrs from Bangkok.

As it happens, my recollection is that Sep 06 was bad, but 07 and 08 were pretty good (rainy season ended early those years).

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
6. Re: Koh Chang Weather in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2010, 06:17