We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tropicana or AANA?

Which Ko Chang hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Plymouth, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Tropicana or AANA?

Hi, my partner and I (including my parents) are planning to go to Koh Chang mid this year. I've been investigating and reading reviews of hotels and it seems that the offer is very big. However, from all the hotels I have checked I think Tropicana or AANA will do the job for us.

Can anyone advice regarding the following?

Are there any markets withing walking distance?

If not, is it easy to get taxies?

Is it easy to find street food around these hotels?

Do they have a nice beach?

If we want to go diving or do the elefant activities, is it easy from these hotels?

Thank you!

New York
Level Contributor
108 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tropicana or AANA?

just stayed at AANA last week for 3 days (too short!)

They are somewhat isolated, about 200 m away from the main road. However, they offer free shuttle to White Sand beach at 10 am (return at 1 pm), and 5 pm (return at 8pm) for those interested in venturing outside.

The beach is not immediately next to the hotel but 2 minutes down the river. The hotel offers free boat ride there or a kayak (for each room) that you can use to get to their 'private' beach, Sunset beach. You can use the kayak to explore the whole area for FREE, which is a nice touch.

The spa/massage are overpriced at the hotel, so I would recommend getting them in town at white sand beach or down the road. The restaurant was good but also slightly pricier than in town, but it is nice to dine by the river.

They also have a free and brief (10 minutes) firefly boat tour down the river every night.

They can arrange for elephant rides (500 baht for 1 hr/900 for 2hr), which we did. It is only a short truck ride away and very worth it (recommend the 2 hour version). Not enough about the diving trip. But they will all pick you up from the resort so no worries.

The 2 pools were quiet and pleasant when we were there.

We found the whole resort quaint and relaxing. We booked a regular room (comes with a river view balcony) which was just enough for us. I don't think the more expensive rooms provided much more, except maybe slightly more space. All the amenities are the same, except some rooms have dvd players (not a big deal).

Ko Chang, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tropicana or AANA?

There isn't much around Aana Resort, from Tropicana it's about 300 - 400 meters to the main road, then to the major shop area another 300 - 400 meters, then another 300 meters to a market which is 3 days a week, and actually there is not much you would want to buy.

There are sometimes taxis waiting just at the parking lot or at the main road, that is no issue wherever

When it comes to street food, there is none around Aana and a whole lot close to Tropicana.

The Tropicana stretch of beach is about the best in Klong Prao, so no doubt, and the 2 pools are very nice. The spa and the pool bars are overpriced, same same.

Whatever activity you want do, most will pick you up at your resort.

After all, for the same money, I would choose Tropicana..

New Plymouth, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tropicana or AANA?

Thank you guys

4. Re: Tropicana or AANA?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 16:16