We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Koh Chang from either Siem Reap or Phnom Penh

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
To Koh Chang from either Siem Reap or Phnom Penh

Hi everyone,

My initial travel plan was to fly from HCM City to Siem Reap, spend four nights there and then hire a private car (for four) to drive to Koh Chang.

Due to a Jetstar flight cancellation at the start of our holiday, the new flight has added an extra three nights to the trip.

Therefore, I was thinking about spending three nights in Phnom Penh. Considering my flight from HCM to Siem Reap is already booked, I can only change the date in which we fly (i.e. I can not change the destination). So I have to fly HCM to SR.

As a reality check, would it work out OK going HCM to Siem Reap (flight), Siem Reap to Phnom Penh (flight), Phnom Penh to Koh Chang (car).

Based on my review of the forums, it would seem that approx. 1 day should be allowed for either Siem Reap to Koh Chang, or Phnom Penh to Koh Chang.

Can anyone advise the difference in travel time and any other considerations. The drive will be around 15 December so I assume that the flood waters will not be an issue. Fair?

Thanks and regards,

Roachford

Ko Chang, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: To Koh Chang from either Siem Reap or Phnom Penh

That doesn't matter. The fastest buses from Phnom Penh go through Sieam Reap anyway. It's an additional 2 hours. And maybe 5$ more. With a private car, it's easiest and add just a little bit more than 1 hour.

For a private car best booked in advance through a Thai agency.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: To Koh Chang from either Siem Reap or Phnom Penh

We did the SR to Koh Chang trip in January, catching the 7am coach service from SR to the border, being herded across the border then finding out only a mini bus was waiting on the other side. the bus was full in seconds and we were left stranded and told that another bus would arrive shortly. The next bus arrived about 1 hour later and again our party of 6 missed out. We had a deadline of 5pm to catch the last ferry to KC so opted to hire a minibus from the Thai border to our hotel in KC. My advice is to go with the private car option but make sure they can cross the border into Thailand. Enjoy KC.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: To Koh Chang from either Siem Reap or Phnom Penh

Thanks for the advice Gayletee.

I take it you made it to the Koh Chang ferry by 5pm?!

I'd be happy with 7am to 5pm. Mind you I have been advised that even with a private transfer you still have to swap cars at the border.

Cheers

Koh Chang, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Chang, Ko Mak
Level Contributor
3,936 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: To Koh Chang from either Siem Reap or Phnom Penh

The last ferry is at 7pm from Ferry Koh Chang or 7.30pm from Centrepoint. even in low season, this has been the case for years .

You always have to swap cars at the border- although some travel agents might not tell you this in advance. They will also get you to pay upfront, so there is nothing you can do about it when you discover that the Cambodian driver will just take you to the border.

* There are NO transfers that use the same vehicle from Siem Reap to Koh Chang *

If you were coming from Phnom Penh to Koh Chang you would be crazy to go via Siem Reap, check a map and you will see why. If you don't want to use the regular bus, either arrange a private transfer or book a taxi from PP to the Cham Yeam / Hat Lek border, then cross the border and either take a shared minibus to Trat, if tour groups haven't already bagged all the seats, and then pick up truck taxi to Koh Chang or for around 2,500 Baht you will find a driver willing to take you privately to the pier for Koh Chang.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: To Koh Chang from either Siem Reap or Phnom Penh

Thanks for your advice, Ian.

I also thought you would be crazy to travel from phnom penh to koh Chang via siem reap. A Thai travel agent advised the same, suggesting that PP to KC may even be approximately half and hour shorter.

It's not a problem swapping cars at the border and I can understand why it is necessary. I'll just make sure my iPod is fully charged and prepare for a long day of diving. Really looking forward to seeing more of the country mind you!

Cheers

Edited: 31 October 2011, 21:36
6. Re: To Koh Chang from either Siem Reap or Phnom Penh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2012, 04:16