We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiring a Motor Bike in Koh Chang - is it safe?

2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hiring a Motor Bike in Koh Chang - is it safe?

Hey all,

We are heading to Koh Chang at the end of next month and we love the freedom that a set of wheels give us. But after reading a lot of negative comments regarding the road condition in Koh Chang, I am getting pretty worried. Is the road condition there quite hair raising for motor bike riding around the island? My other half is used to handling small CC motor bike but even the most experienced rider cannot do so much when the road condition is not up to scratch. Please advise, as otherwise we may have to opt for renting a car instead which is NOT my preferred mode of transport for a beach holiday. I await your response. Thanks in advance, guys!

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiring a Motor Bike in Koh Chang - is it safe?

there are lots of horror storys regarding bike hire on here if you have a look at the faq,s on the right theres advice

you probably won,t be insured by your trav insurance

you will be asked to leave your p/port DON,T!

you need a licence to ride the bike

you need an international permit

you will have to pay a lot of bht for ANY scratches and can be scammed

the list goes on

try your hotel ,some hire bikes out, that may be the best option

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,520 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiring a Motor Bike in Koh Chang - is it safe?

Ive been twice to Koh Chang hired a small scooter on six of the days. I'm not experienced on a bike but had a wonderful time.

There are some steep hills and inclines but just take your time. I found the other road users very courteous and the eastern side of the island there was very little traffic. I would not ride a bike in the dark or if it rains but other than that it was a pleasure.

We hired ours each time from White sands beach from four different places and were never asked for passports, driving licenses being sufficient. Koh Chang is a very laid back island and I have never heard of any scams with scratches etc

This was in total contrast to riding a bike on Koh Samui where I found many other road users to be aggressive or drunk and traffic like you would see in a city in many parts of the island. I only hired a bike for one day on Samui but saw three accidents

Koh Chang, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Chang, Ko Mak
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiring a Motor Bike in Koh Chang - is it safe?

It's safe right up to the time you have an accident. :-) If you are sensible then you will be fine. Just ride with the thought in your head that everyone else on the road is out to kill you. So best not to get in their way and not to expect them to obey any western notion of road rules. If you ride at night bear in mind that even if you haven't had a drink the chances are most other people on the roads have.

Main thing to check when renting a bike are the tyres & brakes, make sure they aren't bald and do work. You'll be thankful for this on some of the steeper roads -ie the big hill near White Sand beach and the stretch of rollercoaster road from Kai Bae to Bangbao.

I ride a scooter in the daytime regularly and never had any accidents. As 'RoverEngland' says it is good fun - and the best way to see the island especially the east coast which even in High Season has very little traffic.

But at night I always prefer the comparative safety of a pick up truck.

Ko Chang, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiring a Motor Bike in Koh Chang - is it safe?

Riding a bike on Koh Chang is definitely great fun, I enjoy it every day.

The problem might not be you and your driving style but everything else.

If you pass a vehicle in front of you, bear in mind, it can turn anywhere without signal anytime. There are thousands of dogs on the road and they don't care about vehicles. If you see one slow down, do not do an emergency braking, you might overdo your front wheel and fall. There might be potholes in the road, so go as fast as you can clearly see the road conditions. Be very careful when it starts raining, your tires have no grip at all. There might be sand in every curve. A truck going in the opposite direction might just pull out to pass a vehicle. And last but not least if you're too slow you might get hit from behind.

All of this is not fictional.

Get a bike or 2 and have a great time, it's a lot of fun. Don't hand 'em out your passport but a copy of it. There are many rental shops that will accept it. You can also offer them a deposit. Most will accept an ID of some kind, you might be asked to show your drivers license and they do helmet checks frequently.

Edited: 13 October 2012, 03:44
Mont Tremblant...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiring a Motor Bike in Koh Chang - is it safe?

Hey Andy53...

You sure you've been in Thailand mate ?

You don't need a license nor an international license to rent a bike in KC or any other Island for that matter which is the main reason people injure and even kill themselves for the simple fact they think learning to drive a bike in Thailand is cool and cheap...

You insurance will cover you if you have a bike license and you were sober at the time of the accident.

If you read the contract well and check all damages before you leave the shop you won't have any problems with scams on KC.

If you do have damages, most of the time caused by inexperienced driving, expect to be overcharged, but once again, you have no business on a bike if you have zero experience ! Especially true in KC, some of the roads could be deadly for newbies...

And once again, I challenge anybody to rent a motorbike without leaving a passport or a huge security deposit...

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
186 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiring a Motor Bike in Koh Chang - is it safe?

thailandstef, Andy53 is quite correct in what he says. Been there, done that and got the "T"shirt (excuse the pun!!) A laminated photo of yourself with your passport details has been sufficient for us since we were also made to leave our passport at the scooter shop in Kata in 2010.This worked in Krabi last year. My mate who was with us was fined in Patong for not having an international drivers licence.You should have a licence anywhere in the world to drive any form of vehicle. I agree with what you say about people thinking its fun to ride a scooter, and then crashing because they have not done it before. Ha ha, seen them with the road rash. Cheers.

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiring a Motor Bike in Koh Chang - is it safe?

hi all,

thailand stef, ive been visiting thailand since 1980,and used to hire big bikes, btw i ride bikes here in the uk you need a proper licence to ride the bike that you hire and an int driving permit or you will have NO insurance cover

if you read the details of cover its all there in black and white

8. Re: Hiring a Motor Bike in Koh Chang - is it safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 13:18
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now