We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM Charges

Which Ko Chang hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
ATM Charges

Can anyone confirm if the ATM(s) on White Sands charge for withdrawing money? Thanks

Koh Chang, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Chang, Ko Mak
Level Contributor
3,607 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM Charges

You'll get charged a fee every time you make a withdrawal. Same as anywhere in Thailand. See this thread for more info: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293915-i3686-k607… ( There arent any 'fee-free' AEON ATMs on Koh Chang. )

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM Charges

Thank you Ian. As we are going to be charged by the ATM provider can you confirm what the current exchange rates, £, the bureaus are giving at the moment. Thanks.

Koh Chang, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Chang, Ko Mak
Level Contributor
3,607 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM Charges

See: bangkokbank.com/bangkokbank/…fx_rates.aspx But rates do vary from bank to bank a bit, if you are exchanging a lot of cash it pays to check out a few banks.

Chai Chet, Klong...
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM Charges

Krungsri/Ayudhya (there's one in white sands) seems to be giving the best rate for at the moment for exchange of notes.

London, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM Charges

I will be staying on Lonely beach in a few weeks. I know that LB only has the 2 ATMS at the 24/7 shop. To avoid the ATM fees I was thinking of bringing travellers cheques.

Where are the nearest banks that offer exchange at a decent rate? Also when days/opening hours are they in operation? I know there were not any near LB 2 years ago, when I was last there.

Koh Chang, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Chang, Ko Mak
Level Contributor
3,607 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATM Charges

There's no banks in Lonely beach, so unless you have a scooter you'll need to take a pick up truck taxi to find a bank where you can exchange travellers cheques. The nearest is a small bank Kai Bae - next to 7-eleven at the north end of the beach. Or possibly the exchange office in Bangbao - but not sure they take TCs though.

So unless you plan on exchanging a lot at once, factoring in the cost for getting to the bank plus the time it takes, may well make just wandering over to an ATM more worthwhile.

Ko Chang, Thailand
Level Contributor
195 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ATM Charges

The fee is normally 150bt to take money out from your bank account. The baht is not as strong as it was, so bits of good news there for exchange rates.

You can also do travellers cheques at the purple bank opposite the 7-11, just past the temple in Klong Prao. Bit more of a trek from Lonely Beach, but why not do it whilst out and about having fun, rather than making a special trip?

Regards

Christy

London, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ATM Charges

Ian, thanks for the reply. Its just that ATM charges are getting silly now, 180 Baht for a mastercard and my once fee free UK bank is now charging 3% per transaction. That works out to a hefty kick in the wallet each visit. Travellers cheques cost 33 Baht to cash, at least that was the case 2 years back? So if I get £100 denominations, it can really save some Baht.

Christy, yeah I was thinking about hiring a moto to sightsee during the day and looking to exchange Cheques while out on the road. Any idea what opening hours are and if they are open at weekends?

Cheers!

Ko Chang, Thailand
Level Contributor
195 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ATM Charges

Banks are 08.30 to 15.30, Monday to Friday, but one or two in White Sands are for sure open all weekend. Exchanges are more flexible and open later, weekends as well

Enjoy your trip

Christy

London, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ATM Charges

Cheers for the info Christy!