We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok to Koh Chang and back

Which Ko Chang hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
B L
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
275 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Bangkok to Koh Chang and back

So I want to go to Koh Chang in lieu of hanging in Bangkok at the beginning of my trip which is on the 9th of February especially with all that is happening in Bangkok. However, I already have already purchased my flight from Bangkok DMK to Chiang Mai which leaves at 12:35pm on the 14th of February.

So the plan was to take the Lonely Beach Express Bus to get to Koh Chang quickly on the 10th of February. bussuvarnabhumikohchang.com/lonely-beach-exp…

I would like to take an airplane but it is pretty expensive.

So if I take the Express bus, I will have 2.5 days in Koh Chang. Since I need to catch my flight on the 14th, I was hoping to take the last bus out of Koh Chang at 17:00 on the 13th so at least I can have an extra half day, making it 3 days total in Koh Chang. Do you know how long it will take me to get back to Bangkok? And sorry if I am confused or have this wrong, do I have to take a ferry from Koh Chang to reach that bus at 17:00, meaning I actually have to leave Koh Chang even earlier? Also, is it safe to assume there is no way I can leave Koh Chang in the morning of the 14th to catch my flight from DMK to Chiang Mai? Is this a unwise idea given the travel time to get to and from there given the duration or would it be worth it?

Thanks!

Koh Chang, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Chang, Ko Mak
Level Contributor
3,625 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangkok to Koh Chang and back

If you decide to take the Lonely Beach express minibus then when you buy the ticket, get a return for 800 Baht at Suvarnabhumi Airport. The minibus will drop you off at your hotel on Koh Chang when you arrive here.

When you are on Koh Chang, call up to confirm the return date & time and ask them to pick you up from your hotel. You pay an extra 100 Baht for that.

The 17:00 time is the time the minibus leaves from the makeshift bus station in Klong Son at the north of the island. They will pick you up from your hotel around 30 - 60 mins before this. So you dont have to worry about ferries etc. Just be waiting in your hotel reception at the time they tell you to.

You should be at Suvarnabhumi airport around 23:00

Even if you took a private transfer and were on the first ferry off Koh Chang on the morning of the 14th you wouldn't get to DMK in time for a 12:35 flight. Dont think about trying that, leave on the 13th.

B L
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
275 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangkok to Koh Chang and back

Thank you Ian! If I decide to pay the change fee and change my flight from DMK to Chiang Mai what time do you think I can change it to and make it safely if I left Koh Chang on the 14th instead on the first bus out? They have a 1:45 flight and and 3:45 and a 4:45. Do you think I can make any of those or is that still risky?

Koh Chang, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Chang, Ko Mak
Level Contributor
3,625 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bangkok to Koh Chang and back

Still risky, even with the last flight . There's a minibus that will take you to Don Meuang but you won't get there till after 16:00.

You could try the early morning minibus to Suvarnabhumi, run by Siam Beach minibus picks up from hotels from 6am onwards gets to the airport around 13:30 and then take a taxi from there to Don Meuang.

Or get to the ferry pier early and take 300 Baht public minibus to Bangkok then taxi. If you are on a minibus by 9am then you should be able to get to Don Meuang for last flight but no time for any delays en - route

4. Re: Bangkok to Koh Chang and back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 January 2014, 12:05
Shenyang, China
Level Contributor
4 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bangkok to Koh Chang and back

Hi Ian, I'm very appreciate to your help about my question on going to Koh Chang.

Koh Chang, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Chang, Ko Mak
Level Contributor
3,625 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bangkok to Koh Chang and back

No problem BukeW. Happy to help.

7. Re: Bangkok to Koh Chang and back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2015, 05:20