We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok - Koh Chang night bus

Which Ko Chang hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
210 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Bangkok - Koh Chang night bus

Hi.

I found a night bus from Bangkok to Trat, but I wonder how safe it is. Has anyone done it? Is it advisable? If the bus leaves Bangkok at midnight (24:00), that would make it in Trat around 5am, if the drive is still 5 hours long. When is the first mini bus to Laem Ngop?

A bit of background: my flight will arrive at 22:00 to BKK and I want to get to Koh Chang as soon as possible, since I'm quite limited with time. That's the reason I don't want to stay in Bangkok for a night.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Koh Chang, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Chang, Ko Mak
Level Contributor
3,621 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangkok - Koh Chang night bus

I haven't seen any reports of anyone having problems on the night bus from Bangkok. So you should be fine.

From Trat bus station you could take a pick up truck taxi to one of the ferry piers. If there aren't any other passengers then you'll have to hire it privately. Around 350 - 400 Baht.

Go to Ao Thammachat pier - not Centrepoint. If you arrive at Centrepoint early morning you'll find that there are just one or two or no other foot passengers - as most people coming from Bangkok or elsewhere wont be on the boat until lunchtime at the earliest.

When you reach Koh Chang the pick up truck taxi wont leave unless it is full or you pay for private hire - which will be around 700 Baht or so. Ao Thammachat is busier and so far more chance of getting a songthaew early morning for a sensible price.

Ko Chang, Thailand
Level Contributor
195 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangkok - Koh Chang night bus

Have used the night bus, the other way, from Trat to Bangkok (the airport bus station) several times and not had a problem.

As of a few days ago, the information desk was saying the last bus from Ekamai, the eastern bus terminal to Trat is at 22.30. the first at 5.00am. If you near Sukhumvit Road, maybe use the BTS to nip up to Ekamai in and check beforehand.

One thing to bear in mind at this time of year (rainy season) is the baggage goes in the bus hold and both myself and others I know have had taken it out at the other end soaked, as seemingly the rain gets all the way through. If you have a waterproof cover, remember to use it!

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
210 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bangkok - Koh Chang night bus

Thank you for these replies.

I'm planning to use this bus in late October, so there should be fewer rain already (well, let's hope so :) )

One more question: are there many stops on the way? Is a road very bumpy? Will I be able to get some sleep in the bus?

4. Re: Bangkok - Koh Chang night bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 10:17