We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live music

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
326 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Live music

My wife and I are due in Koh Chang Tuesday 15th for 16 nights. We have no intention of staying put in the hotel so any recommendations for restaurants and particularly bars with live bands playing would be greatly appreciated. We'll be hiring a car for the most part, exploring the island, so please post any out of the way beach favourites.

Take care one and all, look forward to seeing any of you out there over the next few weeks, Dr Mike.

Koh Chang, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Chang, Ko Mak
Level Contributor
3,655 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Live music

Cant be of much help I'm afraid . . .. Oodies is the best known place on Whitesands for live music. Cant really go wrong there.

The Irish Pub on Whitesands are currently advertising for Folk Singers, I'm sure visitors to KC are dying to see the Thai equivalent of an old beared guy in a fisherman's smock, with his finger in his ear singing an acapella tale of how rough it was building the Manchester ship canal.

Some of hotel bands / singers (and I use both of those terms loosely) are worth experiencing just for the sheer awfulness. My favourites are Chang Park's wandering minstrel and Tropicana Resorts 3 piece, Yamaha organ driven, combo. Schmaltz at it's tackiest.

Keep an eye out for flyers up advertising one off band nights in small bars - usually when the owners friends are on the island.

Chai Chet, Klong...
Level Contributor
306 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Live music

I like the Tantawan bar in WhiteSands where there's usually a Thai guy who play blues guitar somewhat in the style of Eric Clapton.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
145 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Live music

My wife and i have just returned from Koh Chang having spent 8 nights there and that was too long, but 16 nights is way way too long.We knew it was going to be low key but there is very little to do there. Through the day you cant get on the beach because of the high tide except at lonely beach where they have not yet built up to the waters edge.We stayed at the Klong Prao Resort the bungalow was great, lagoon on one side and the sea on the other fantastic, but the staff (what ever happend to the land of smiles) were the most unfriendly we have come across in Thailand after years of visiting the country.It seems the whole island is being over run by Russian package tourists who may i add are very abrupt and rude.

We have visited many places in Thailand including Koh Samui,Koh Lanta ,Koh Hong,Krabi,Chaing Mai to mention a few and sorry Koh Chang is the worst by a mile(sorry Ian i know you will not agree but that is our honest view)

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,940 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Live music

Hey Coco, Eric Clapton is my husbands hero ..so looking good. CJ

Koh Chang, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Chang, Ko Mak
Level Contributor
3,655 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Live music

Asiadaft - not much to disagree with. 16 days is a long time on KC, but there again it depends what Dr Mike is looking for. I know people who get bored here after 3-4 days and others who love it simply because it's a place to do nothing for a couple of weeks.

The tides have been higher than usual in late December and when this happens there isnt much beach for a few hours in the daytime. ( If you want to be sure of missing the highest tides when on holiday I'll post the tide tables for 2007 )

No comment on the staff at the resort - unlikely that they're all unfriendly, but also you were here at the busiest time of the year and if you had to deal with hoards of "rude & abrupt" Russians it may well rub off on you too.

Sure, there are Russians here but far more rude and abrupt Brits & Germans here. As with any tourists, if you get a group of 100 on a tour and they'll keep to themselves and regardless of their naionality, you'd probably steer clear of them if you were traveling on your own.

Got a nice bottle of cognac from Dagestan a couple of weeks ago so I cant say too many bad things about Russians other than some who are on their first trips abroad, dont speak English remind me of Borat. Whilst many others are just regular people who love to travel the same as anyone else.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
145 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Live music

Nice one Ian.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
326 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Live music

Thanks to one and all for their views, both positive and negative. Travelled quite a bit across the Far East myself, but other people's input is always greatly appreciated. Just got back and will be posting a review (if you're interested) in the next few days.

Pattaya it ain't, but I'd prefer to cut off my own bits and feed them to the nearest passing stray beach dog, rather than visit the type of Thailand that Pattaya represents. Suffice to say found plenty of music, great restaurants, out of the way beaches, friendly people and didn't get bored at all. The car hire opened up the whole island and the mainland south of Trat down to the Cambodian border (take your passport).

Take care, Dr. Mike.

8. Re: Live music

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 23:17