We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Granada Hotel & Charities

Which Granada hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
27 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Granada Hotel & Charities

I am visiting Granada on new year's eve for five days. I am torn between booking at Patio De Malinche, Hotel Dario, Hotel Plaza Colon & Casa San Francisco - price is not an issue for me. I am more interested in a comfortable bed, clean room, hot water & AC & a good location. Which one should I reserve at?

Also, are there any reputable charities in Granada?

Managua
Level Contributor
641 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Granada Hotel & Charities

IMO Patio de Malinche or Plaza Colon, but i haven't stayed at the other hotels.

Esperanza on the main 'walking street' by the cathedral, Calle Calzada, is an excellent organization helping local kids with education.

Good to see someone trying to find out how to help constructively as the tourists giving the street kids money is damaging to the local social structure as well as the kids, many of whom you can see in Parque Central late at night high on glue paid for by 'well meaning' tourists!!

http://www.thegranadablog.com

Dingle, Ireland
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Granada Hotel & Charities

There is a hotel which combines good service and charity: It is a new Dutch project and is worth being checked out!

http://www.hotelconcorazon.com

Cheers!

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,178 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Granada Hotel & Charities

Plaza Colon is fantastic -- definitely comfortable bed, clean room, hot water, AC, and for a good location it's directly on the main plaza across from the cathedral. They have their own generator in case of occasional electric blackouts. If price is not an issue, ask for a room on the second floor with a balcony overlooking the park.

Detroit
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Granada Hotel & Charities

Re: Hotel Concorazan

We have already made reservations...but we will be sure to check out the restaurant in our upcoming visit. Nice website - thanks for the tip.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
27 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Granada Hotel & Charities

Thanks for all the info. Will look into the charities.

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Granada Hotel & Charities

I too had found the website for Hotel Concorazon. Has anyone stayed there? I too would like to support a good cause.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Granada Hotel & Charities

I really liked Casa San Francisco when I stayed there last year. Great owners & staff, great room with a cute little balcony, restaurant on-site and about 2 short blocks from the main plaza. They have a small pool and a nice little courtyard where they serve delicious breakfasts. I would stay there again.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
180 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Granada Hotel & Charities

Donna Tabor of Granada has founded several charitable projects, the little Escuelita Yo Puedo School for young children of poor families (and has 2 or 3 volunteers teaching), the Veterinary clinic for stray cats and dogs, including spaying and neutering, is one of the founders and a director of the first library Yo Puedo Leer in Granada, among other projects. She can be contacted at 852-0210, also e-mail at donnatabor@cablenet.com.ni

I suggest you contact Donna, perhaps before you leave, and get an idea of how you can help in a very direct way.

9. Re: Granada Hotel & Charities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 23:19