We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Coming into NICA for ten days...Need Help

will be in Nica in ten days and will use Granada as our base...Would like to explore the country during that time and would love to spent some time at the beach...Which town is closer to Granada.

Managua
Level Contributor
641 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming into NICA for ten days...Need Help

You're going to stay in Granada for 10 days??

I think you may get bored!

Probably the easiest to get to from Granada is San Juan del Sur, not a great beach, but the beaches just north like Majagual, Maderas and Gigante are:

…typepad.com/photos/…index.html

Masaya is the nearest major town to Granada.

Visit the volcano, artefacts market, pottery town of San Juan de Oriente and get a great view of Laguna de Apoyo on a tour from Granada.

Contact Ramon who is a bi-lingual, licensed tour guide at granadatours@waytogonicaragua.com

Managua
Level Contributor
641 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming into NICA for ten days...Need Help

ahhhh, I misread it, you're going to be HERE in 10 days!

delray beach FL
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming into NICA for ten days...Need Help

San Juan Del Sur and the local beaches are beautiful. I just got back and loved it! Here is a local contact that will give you a ride or plan any excursions that you might need. He is proessional and speaks perfect english.

rodolfo.nicaragua@hotmail.com

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming into NICA for ten days...Need Help

I will be in arriving on March 16 from Guatemala and have ten days in Nicaragua and will start off in Granada...Need help in what to do besides Granada...Definitely do not want to stay in Granada for the whole time...I was thinking about Little Corn Island and other islands

Managua
Level Contributor
641 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming into NICA for ten days...Need Help

I love Corn Islands, I'd recommend a trip there.

Maybe Ometepe too!

Selva Negra is a cloud forest in the coffee growing mountains.

Footprint and Moon are good guidebooks.

Some more info here:

http://www.waytogonicaragua.com

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Coming into NICA for ten days...Need Help

What are the distance between Granada and the following places: Ometepe, Selva, Leon. I hope you do not mind because I may have a million more questions to follow...I really want to spend some time at the beach nearest to Granada, and would also love to see the volcanoes...

Managua
Level Contributor
641 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Coming into NICA for ten days...Need Help

I'm happy to answer questions.

But a guide book or a search through this forum is the best place to start your research as you'll find most basic info is all there and more importantly give you a feel for the country and you'll get a lot of different points of view.

For instance, it doesnt matter what the distance is from Granada to Ometepe as its an island in the middle of a lake.

So you need to know how to get there and how long it takes.

From Granada you drive to Rivas, then San Jorge- about 1 hour & half- to get the ferry which takes about 1 hour to Ometepe.

Granada to Leon you can drive on the Inter American highway, about 120km from Granada to Leon.

Selva Negra is about the same distance from Granada.

Corn Islands is about a 1 hour flight from Managua so probably best to tag it on the end of your trip.

You'll see volcanoes everywhere in the 'Land of Lakes & Volcanoes' but Masaya is easily accessible on a tour from Granada and its 'smokin'

Ramon also does a tour to Mombacho Volcano that towers over the Granada skyline, it has a very beautiful cloud forest nearing the summit and wonderful vistas.

Or get him to take you out on the lake in Granada and see it from the water:

…typepad.com/photos/…mombacho.html

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Coming into NICA for ten days...Need Help

Thank you for your assistance...Truly appreciate it

Managua
Level Contributor
641 posts