We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi travel from SJDS to Granada

W Yorks
5 posts
Save Topic
Taxi travel from SJDS to Granada

We are on a cruise which docks at SJDS in November. How easy will it be to get a taxi to Granada, how long will it take and what will be the approx cost for the trip each way. From Granada how far is it to the Mombacho volcano and will it be easy to get a taxi there. Any other advice regarding things to see and do appreciated. We are there for a whole day!

Managua
Level Contributor
641 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi travel from SJDS to Granada

You can see Mombacho Volcano from anywhere in Granada, but I think visiting that and Granada in 1 day from SJDS is pushing it a bit!

But it is do-able.

You can get a taxi, if there's a few of you it can make sense.

Adelante in SJDS to transfers for about $25 each I think, a taxi should cost you $30.

I'd just visit Granada, have lunch, you could do a 2 hour tour of Las Isletas perhaps, great view of the volcano and a short taxi ride from the town.

More info here:

htp://www.thegranadablog.com

Managua
Level Contributor
641 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi travel from SJDS to Granada

Sorry the link is here:

http://www.thegranadablog.com

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi travel from SJDS to Granada

There is acompnay that work together with the cruise ship that will offer tours but it will be a huge group of about 60 people per bus.

Other people do it privately by hiring a local guide and transportation to see the places of interest. I will go staright to Granada and see the most important sights and see the Masaya Volcano on the way back to San Juan del Sur.

W Yorks
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi travel from SJDS to Granada

Thank you. There will be four of us so taxi would be cost effective. How long will it take to get to Granada.

W Yorks
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi travel from SJDS to Granada

Thank you. How would we go about hiring a local guide and what would this cost.

We can do an organised trip from the cruise ship but would prefer to do our own thing if possible and cost effective.

Managua
Level Contributor
641 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi travel from SJDS to Granada

Masaya isn't 'on the way' back to San Juan del Sur, but it's possible to do the volcano, market etc and back to SJDS, a taxi for 4 people will be cost effective!

A friend of mine Ramon is a bi-lingual licensed tour guide does good rates, good guide.

Details here:

…typepad.com/masaya_nicaragua/volcan-masaya/

Managua
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi travel from SJDS to Granada

I can do the trip for you. I run a concierge service here in Nicaragua for investors, tourist and trips in general. You will ride in confortable 4 wheel drive vehicle with a/c and a fluent english speaking driver. If you want more information please contact me at info@nicacharters.com or jose@nicacharters.com

San Juan del Sur
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi travel from SJDS to Granada

Hi Lucy

You can use www.iskratravel.com, they can to do this tour for you.

Good Luck

San Juan del Sur
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi travel from SJDS to Granada

Hi,

Welcome Nicaragua

it is really nice to help you find some options for your best. Iskra Travel is a local mini tour operator,offering trips to many places in Nicaragua, so they have a Van what is the best choice for you and can take you to Granada walk around the central park, visit the churches and cathedrals with an exquisites colonial construction, the museum of the convent of San Francisco, the old station of the railroad, also can take a tour by the great lake of Nicaragua around 350 islets originated by a volcanic eruption many years ago and visit the Mombacho volcano, the price for this is $50 per person in case there are more than 4 but we can make a reasonable price for you. try them info@iskratravel.com

NY
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi travel from SJDS to Granada

Hello there, I had the same question before i got to nicaragua in the PRINCESS STAR cruise last year.

Let me tell you, you can do lot of thing in one day once you get to SJDS if you prepare a really good itinerary. We didnt want to buy a tour package from any of the tour operators we were offered to buy from because we wanted to do it in a smaller group more private, it was my wife, my two teenagers sons, two friends and myself.

We have have been to costa rica many times and a friend of us who has been t nicaragua many times told us about the way to arrange a tour once we got to SJDS, Fisrt of all:

-Make sure the ppl you contact or hire is very responsible and will make sure to return you to the cruise on time, a lot of tourists have missed the cruise because of the driver irresponsability.

Plan a very good One Day Itinerary, i did visit RIVAS, our tour guide arranged a city tour around the first city south of Nicaragua Rivas only 25 minutes away from san juan del Sur, they took us around beautiful old churches, typical market and we saw kind of the everyday life of nicaraguan ppl there.

After that, you can visit Granada is 1 hour away from RIVAS. In granada you have to put in your list of Must do: A visit to the 357 little islands that were form by the mombacho volcano, make sure they take you to the monkeys island. - A tour around the city, to see the beautiful colonial building.

You can also visit a wondelful market in masaya called the "HANDICRAFT MARKET" AND in your way back a quick look to the Catarina "Lookout", we did all this in one day and it was 50U$ per person, i told the guys in the cruise and they were amaze about the price cuz in the cruise they arranged a tour and it was 100U$ per person and they only visited Granada.

It was one the the best days of our vacations, we also did learn about the culture and the history of the country, because our tour also included a Professional Tour guide who speaks a perfect english, i will repeat this experience hundreds of time, "One OF A KIND EXPERIENCE" we were so lucky.

Another thing: Once you get to the port a LOT of "tour Guides" will approach you trying to sell you a tour, at some point it is so annoying so i will highly recommend to arrange you tour before you get there.

ENJOY YOUR DAY IN NICARAGUA!!!! YOU´LL LOVE IT.