We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Managua or Granada???????

toronto
14 posts
Save Topic
Managua or Granada???????

Hi, we are a couple that has plans on traveling to Nicaragua for the first time...during our stay we definitly want to take spanish language classes and also maybe do some voluntary work of some sort to help out where needed. What area would be the better choice, Managua or Granada? Which area is better also when traveling with a child? Does anybody out there have any bad experiences w/a particular school or homestay? Plse, any info would be appreciated,thnx!!

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Managua or Granada???????

Granada will definetely be better than Managua. For a spanish school i recommend School Xpress and to volunteer i will recommend La Esperanza organization

toronto
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Managua or Granada???????

Thanks Rodolfo...why Xpress school though, what makes that school and Granada a better choice. Are you from Nicaragua? Also, have you, or any others heard of Roger Ramirez's one on one Tutoring spanish school. Do the teachers at Xpress speak English, i find that when explaining the reasoning of a language, you need to be able to express that in the students first language...

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Managua or Granada???????

I can tell you based on my experience and visits, I would agree Granada will be the better choice - it is far more approachable of a town. Ultimately, if you feel you really want to approach Managua, it's only about a 1 to 1 1/2 hour bus ride at a pretty low cost if you take the microbuses (other options available too, of course).

Unfortunately, I cannot give you much suggestion on a specific school or homestay.

Evanston, Illinois
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Managua or Granada???????

Hi agent Triple3! :-)

I'm also considering a Spanish-learning excursion to Granada.

Another student suggested the One on One Tutoring Spanish School. I've perused their site and think their courses and activities sound interesting. What I especially like about this school is that they offer volunteer opportunities, and a chance to interact with children at an orphanage. I had a few questions about the homestays, so I e-mailed today and am just awaiting their response.

Here is their web site: www.1on1tutoring.net

When are you planning to visit?

NorCal
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Managua or Granada???????

Hands down Granada. I don't think it is even a contest. Granada is spectacular in many ways. Managua is where you arrive and leave ASAP.

NorCal
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Managua or Granada???????

Hands down Granada. I don't think it is even a contest. Granada is spectacular in many ways. Managua is where you arrive and leave ASAP.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Managua or Granada???????

People in Granada has a lot of experience in Spanish classes, Xalteva spanish school, one on one tutoring, school xpress. and also the city is way much more safeter and nicer than managua better if your traveling with kids, and for spanish school i would recomend Xalteva spanish school because their profit goes to help the kids around also they have homestay and volunteer your time with them.

good trip.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
143 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Managua or Granada???????

Hands down Granada. Check out Gloria for Spanish lessons:

spanishschoolcatarina.com/Modality.html

I have taken lessons from her for 3 years whenever I am in Nicaragua.

toronto
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Managua or Granada???????

hi! So you've heard of them...plse let me know any other info i may have missed on their site...they do seem pretty good and reasonably priced. Not sure exactly when we'll be going,but sometime soon though!

10. Re: Managua or Granada???????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2011, 06:16