We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

changing money

bristol uk
Level Contributor
820 posts
Save Topic
changing money

I will arriving into Managua at 8pm Sat 30th April.I have a transfer to Grenada,what is the exchange rate for US,.As i will be originating flight from London via Houston,do they change British pounds or is better to take dollars.Is the exchange rate the same in the airport as outside and also are there plenty of places to change money in Grenada as my first full day will be a Sunday.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: changing money

At the Managu aAirport they have a new stand where they change all types of currencies but i am not sure if it open at that time of night. In Granada there is plenty of places to change, easily in the streets where you will see the (Coyotes) people that are lincnsed to do so and the rate excahnge should be C$22.00 per dollar, it is going to be a few cents more but for easy math use C$22.00

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: changing money

RodolfoNicaragua is right. Changing money on the street is very efficient and legal. Sounds scary but that's how it's done. Guys standing on street corners with huge wads of cash in one hand and a calculator in the other. I would use my own calculator just to confirm. We changed money like this in Grenada and also in Leon. Take undamaged only USD. (no torn or marked bills) You will get the best rate from the guys on the street and I'm pretty sure they prefer 50's or 100's.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,469 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: changing money

Look at my diary where I talk at least twice about this issue

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g580113-i11278-k40…

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,469 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: changing money

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g580113-i11278-k40…

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
143 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: changing money

You can also change a little in Houston. Not a great exchange rate but they will buy it back for the same rate on the way back. You probably will only need a few cords, USD is gladly accepted most places but sometimes they won't give you the best exchange. Not sure about British pounds..I would go USD to cords.

bristol uk
Level Contributor
820 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: changing money

thanks for feed back,will take US instead of pounds,i was in Costa Rica late last year so i presume its the same procedure.

GA
Level Contributor
35 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: changing money

Street changers in Granada gave a very favorable exchange rate. They seemed less concerned with the "pristine" quality of the bills than did other merchants with whom we used US$. Vendors & restaurants around the plaza checked the quality of the US bills before accepting them.

boston,ma.
Level Contributor
547 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: changing money

It's funny you mentioned that. We had one of our tour guides ask us for another bill because of our US bills had a small ink mark on it. That certainly wouldn't happen up here!

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: changing money

I do not recomend change any currency at the stands at the airport the exchange rate is worse than stop in a grocery store that only sells candies LOL. ( they exchange you 19 cordobas to 1 Dollar now a day when is 22 to 1), so keep following the same reports from the other travellers.

Just make sure that the bills are clean and do not have any tear, nicks very old paper bills.

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: changing money

Hope these guys are around on Sundays. I arrive late on a Sat night.

Been through the clean US note thing before. Had some rejected in China and the weirdest was was payment for something on a reed island in Peru!