We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Granada late November

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
295 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Granada late November

Hola, I am doing my first learn Spanish and volunteer session for 3 weeks at the end of November with Casa Xalteva. I will take half day Spanish and volunteer with the kids in the pm. Just wondering if any fellow Norte americanos will be there. I am from Comox BC on Vancouver Island . Bit nervous about the homestay part .

Celebration, Florida
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Granada late November

Don't be nervous. You'll have a great time. Nicaraguan families are extremely friendly and will go out their way to make you feel comfortable

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Granada late November

Thanks, I have volunteered with kids before but so used to staying in hotels when away. I know these families are preselected and used to foreigners but still worry about getting in their way

Celebration, Florida
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Granada late November

The fact that you're nervous about getting in their way means you'll be fine. One way to win over the family is find out if they have kids and bring toys for them. It doesn't have to be big just something small from target or walmart. That would be a good ice breaker when you first get there :)

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Granada late November

I will not know what ages til about 3 weeks.

I have volunteered with alla ges of kids before and usually bond quite fast.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
143 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Granada late November

My 24 year old niece and a 17 year old neighbor both did home stay volunteering this summer (10 wks and 5 wks) and both princesses loved it but they did miss their hot showers. They connected with several other volunteers there as well and spent their weekends traveling in a group exploring the rest of Nicaragua. One was used to strictly 5 star travel and the other had not traveled much. Both loved it and want to go back. Hope this helps.

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Granada late November

Thanks glad the girls had that experience. I actually am not comfortable at 5 stars because I do not like to be served. Much rather bond with the staff.

I have worked with teenagers at youth shelters and kids with various behavioural issues at group homes and generally bond well with kids.

I did hear about the cold water and yes I like it warm too,

I gather there are a lot of fellow travellers there, my last assistant at work in Edmonton has a friend whose girlfriend is going to school there.

Will be nice to meet other people but of course I am going for the locals.

When I saw your friend Seattle,you reminded me I should get to Burien again sometime to visit an old friend.

7. Re: Going to Granada late November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2013, 22:54
Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to Granada late November

Thanks. I have already committed to the home stay. I am hoping they have kids. This venture is more about working with the kids and of course the Spanish. I am not going down as a tourist. I prefer to bond with the locals. However I will see how it works out in case I want to go for a longer time..

9. Re: Going to Granada late November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 03:16