We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning

Florida
Level Contributor
24 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Warning

Unfortunately, I feel the need to tell of my upsetting experience of late. Let me start by saying I have lived in Granada for over 3 months and have enjoyed my life here. On Friday, Feb. 3rd, I was walking down Calle Santa Lucia at 2 in the afternoon. It was raining a bit and as I stepped down off the side walk a man on a bicycle came around the corner and grabbed my bag which was over my shoulder. The momentum of his bicycle and my firm hold on my bag threw me to the ground. He then proceeded to try and wrestle my bag from me as I laid on the road. I would not let go and the strap on my bag is a heavy reinforced one so it did not brake. I started to yell and he realized I was not going to give up and he rode away. I did not get a good look at him only that he wore a white baseball cap. I have now been told that when it rains the people go inside and robbers take this time to hit as there are fewer witnesses. So the point of sharing this is IT CAN HAPPEN IN BROAD DAY LIGHT!!! Stay VIGILANT!!!

13 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Warning

I am sorry to hear that. Can you tell me if you were by yourself or with a group? I will be there soon and I do plan to carry pepper spray when I go out ( day or night). Most important, glad you are ok. Is that street near the market? Or the main park?

Florida
Level Contributor
24 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warning

Yes,I was by myself. The street "calle Santa lucia" is north of both the market and the central park but is known as a safe street and I have lived here for awhile and until now never worried about it. Are you bringing pepper spray? The best thing to come out of this is I no longer carry a bag. Good advice! Have a wonderful time here, it's a cool place.

London
Level Contributor
24 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Warning

I'm very sorry to hear about what happened to you. We will be in Granada in a few weeks but this sort of thing can happen anywhere. Whenever I am abroad i try not carry a bag. Credit cards/debit cards are kept in zipped pockets. If I do carry a bag the strap is across the body. I admit it is hard to carry everything without a bag so extra vigilance is the key. I will watch out when its raining so thanks for the advice. Take care and best wishes.

ontario
Level Contributor
39 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Warning

I loved Granada so much, I bought a vacant lot at the development-Vista Lagos. When I was there 5 years ago, I had just finished another American style breakfast at Cathy's Wafflehouse. I heard some yelling & noticed a fellow go flying by on a bike dangling a camera from the handlebars.The thief had obviously just grabbed it from an unsuspecting tourist. The whole scene lasted less than a few seconds. I have travelled extensivley throughout Central America & this is the only time I witnessed petty theft. I recommend that you wear inexpensive jewellry & carry as little cash as possible. I always wear a neck pouch with my cash, credit cards, passport, etc. stashed in a safe place. I also keep phototcopies of everything in case I do lose anything.

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Warning

this kind of event was mentioned in an earlier post. I think it is a possibility anywhere there are tourists on any continent. I have had some problems in Europe but not in Latin America. Bags, purses, swinging cameras and expensive jewellry are targets. I am always glad when I have put my stuff away after arriving

6. Re: Warning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2014, 14:16
Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Warning

I'm so sorry you had such an experience. I just left Granada today after two weeks of walking extensively in the areas quite close to there. My impression was that it was actually in one of the better areas, if not the best. It's located just a very few blocks from the Calzada which is the tony part of town. I never picked up any predatory vibe whatsoever, especially not knife wielding assailants.

I am curious to know if by " we were held up" that you mean two girls. At a ripe old age it still never ceases to amaze me how some men can be so vulgar and at times violent to the ladies. We guys take being left alone for granted.

I was deeply impressed over all with the gentle and soft spoken nature of the Granadinos. In spite of significant poverty and the visible effects of a devastating alcoholism there is a solid majority who are rising early and doing their very best.

Thank you for posting this advisory. Perhaps you should consider posting a review of the hotel on TripAdvisor which includes a description of this daylight robbery. My experience with TripAdvisor has shown me that hotel managers all over the world read these reviews, especially of their own place of business. A bad review can cost them dearly so, even though this crime couldn't be construed as the hotel's fault, they might demand better police protection for the street thus saving another guest from the same misfortune.

Edited: 14 December 2012, 01:41
8. Re: Warning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 22:18