We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone else think Granada is over-rated?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone else think Granada is over-rated?

People gush about what a great city Granada is, but I think they haven't been to Antigua, Guatemala, which is pretty much a nicer version of the same type of city.

Granada is a visually attractive city. It's also a mob scene, with tons of vehicle traffic belching diesel fuel and honking like it's China. I wouldn't pick a hotel anywhere near the Central Park because of noise, smog, and congestion.

Granada makes a good base for Nicaraguan travel. There are many competing tour companies offering good deals on exciting excursions. It's also a good place to take care of any needs you might have. But the city itself?, as a tourist attraction? Meh... One day was enough for me.

Mentioned in this post
Granada
Granada
Granada Department, Nicaragua
Antigua
Antigua
Sacatepequez Department, Guatemala
D'ak Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Nica Green
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours
Nica Green Travels
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Adventour Nicaragua
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
West Vancouver...
Level Contributor
6 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Anyone else think Granada is over-rated?

No, I've never understood what everyone gets so excited about. I also agree that Antigua is much better!

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
549 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Anyone else think Granada is over-rated?

I was in Antigua in March 2011 for about 5 hours on 2 different days (first with a guided tour from Gate 1 Travel) and then in Granada about 2 weeks ago.

Both days in Antigua were weekdays (Wed and Fri), so maybe I didn't experience the mass of vehicular traffic.

I found Antigua charming, safe, beautiful. nI definitely would like to go back and it is a great excursion from Guatemala City.

Granada I also found to be beautiful, but infrastructure redevelopment seems about 10 years behind Antigua. Many more buildings are in need of or under renovation. There are not as many museums. More poor people. But also cheaper hotel rates (I highly recommend Patio de Malinche) and lots of good, reasonably priced eateries. The market was big and bustling.

The tourism around Granada is great, especially the nature and is also quite accessible. Masaya, Apoyo, Mombachho, Las Islas, Ometepe, etc.

See my report on Nica, I was ripped off within 5 minutes of my arrival in Granada. It can happen anywhere, but it happened there, so be vigilant.

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Granada
Granada
Guatemala City
Guatemala City
Guatemala Department, Guatemala
Isla de Ometepe
Isla de Ometepe
Rivas Department, Nicaragua
Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,117 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Anyone else think Granada is over-rated?

Anyone noticed that if you touch the highlighted link for Antigua in these posts you do not even get the CA Antigua..you get the island of.

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
British Columbia
Level Contributor
38 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Anyone else think Granada is over-rated?

We found it really loud there. I loved the beautiful churches and buildings but my hubby couldn't get out of there and back to quiet San Juan fast enough. He didn't like the traffic, hoards of people, honking cars, and lack of ability to see the horizon,( certainly in the area that we were in anyway.) and the really obnoxiously loud show with the kids with drums and dancing big doll. I appreciated that it was a type of local tradition but every half hour or so it seemed really added to the loud and chaotic feel. Each to their own I guess and in all fairness we only spent 24 hours or so there and didn't explore the freshwater lake which I hear is a really great experience.

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Anyone else think Granada is over-rated?

^ Yeah, the drumming kids! It was kinda neat when I first saw it, but try enjoying an al fresco meal with someone pounding a drum 4 feet from you.

Any time I ate on that main street with all the restaurants - I forget what it's called (Calle Atrevesada?) I asked for a table indoors, WAAAAAY in the back, to get away from all the annoyances on the street. This turned out to be a great move, because many of the restaurants had beautiful, romantic, open-air courtyards in the back witn nobody there. I guess most people prefer getting jostled and inhaling smog while they eat!

I inquired about that, and it's actually not a local tradition (not for Granada, anyway). That comes from Leon.

Anyway, I agree with you and your husband - pretty architecture, but all noise, traffic, and crowds.

Too bad you didn't see the lake. It's beautiful.

Edited: 28 March 2012, 17:05
Mentioned in this post
Granada
Granada
Leon
Leon
Leon Department, Nicaragua
Great Falls...
Level Contributor
95 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Anyone else think Granada is over-rated?

I think Grenada is fair enough, if you're visiting the country tis probably 'the' city to see as Managua doesn't hold a candle in comparison. But as EarlJones wrote, it may be overrated. It is a good base from which to go exploring other fairly nearby sites (Mombacho, Masaya - Volano and town/market, the lakes, the islands on the big lake, horse buggy ride, cathedral etc). I wouldn't spend more than 2-3 days there but that's me (and probably EarlJones!). And now that I've been I needn't really go back. I would like to see Ometepe mind you!

Mentioned in this post
Managua
Managua
Managua Department, Nicaragua
Isla de Ometepe
Isla de Ometepe
Rivas Department, Nicaragua
Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Anyone else think Granada is over-rated?

Maybe overated if you are a tourist and stay by the park. I stayed with a host family near Casa Xalteva. The neighbourhoods were a real community. You needed to walk a few blocks before hitting the tourist side.

I heard Antigua was full of language students and that was it. I felt like a member of the community while in Granada, I loved it

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Granada
Granada
Condo Hotel Xalteva
Condo Hotel Xalteva
278 Reviews
Granada, Nicaragua
Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
843 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Anyone else think Granada is over-rated?

I've been to both cities (Antigua in '07 and Granada in '11) and loved them both. Antigua is a bit more elegant and historic but Granada has a lovely central square, a nice pedestrian promenade (the Calzada) and is close to huge and incredible Lake Nicaragua, where you can get a 2 or 3 hour boat tour for $18-$20.

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Granada
Granada
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
19. Re: Anyone else think Granada is over-rated?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 20:19