We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Granada Trip Review... Amazing!

Which Granada hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
california
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Granada Trip Review... Amazing!

Nicaragua Trip Review

I’ve been meaning to write the review for a while, we came back a couple of weeks ago, and finally had some time.

We stayed in Granada at Casa Silas, and we couldn’t have found a better place. Rob & Klaudina are amazing hosts! The layout of the house is so nice, with open kitchen and open living room (both covered but open to the center area of the house pool. My son loved Silas (the house dog).

The breakfast was very yummy and filling.

Rob even accompanied us to a restaurant at night and picked us up a while later (so we wouldn’t get lost) we loved walking back at night. I can’t remember the name… sorry, but the meat was so tender, and everything delicious and very affordable.

I truly recommend you stay here! We can’t wait to go back.

About Granada:

The people were amazingly nice and welcoming, we loved not only the nice little streets, beautiful Spanish architecture, but also the amazing local food and of course the Nicaraguan locals are just so welcoming, they truly made us feel at home. I love to talk to locals, small chit-chat, and yes, it was obviously easier because we speak Spanish, but I did this even in Paris, were my French vocabulary was limited to about 5 words. I urge everyone I meet to meet the locals, converse with them, it truly enhances your experience. My son loved the people just walking around, going about their daily lives, so peaceful, no stress!, he made me promise we’d come back! I love that he is able to see the beauty of things in life that are not material.

We hired Rodolfo for the 2 days we were there, and wow! He went above and beyond the call of duty. We know we have a new friend in him. We toured the city, the beautiful churches, the market (I love markets, so he made sure we made it there, where I bought a gorgeous leather purse for about $45 usd among other things) also got to try a variety of amazing, exotic fruits that ive never heard of… we even got to try cocoa (from the pods as they grow from the tree)… He asked my son if he know what that was… and my son goes “yes, that’s cocoa… Wow, how did you recognize that?

My son: “From Charlie & the Chocolate Factory Movie” Ha Ha Ha! Who says television is bad for kids! 

Our last night, he took us to buy Fritanga, which we loved! We chose the pork, and wow! It was so well seasoned, tender and very filling. One order will feed at least 2 people.

Of course he also took us to see the Masaya Volcano… there was so much smoke, I got a little scared, I just wanted the picture and leave! Ha Ha! But we didn’t take off, he put my mind at ease, and it was great! Its just an incredible sight!

We also toured Las Isletas… I know there’s mixed reviews that I’ve read, but let me tell you we loved it…

It was very “Jurassic Park-Like” in a way… beautiful scenery, relaxing, great photo ops.

We got to meet one of the monkeys on the famous island, Rodolfo gave him some tomatoes… and Mr. Money gladly came on board to play a bit… it was so fun! We finished off in one of the island with a nice cold beer (and Fanta for my son)…

My only regret is that we didn’t spend more time there… at the end our our trip, we ended up spending 4 loonngg days in Samara Beach Costa Rica, and while the place was cute, it was 2 days too long… I’m not the type of person to lounge around in a beach and do nothing for 4 days… don’t know what I was thinking when I made my itinerary… We both agree we would have rather been in Granada.

I have a long list of Countries on my “Bucket List”, so I’m always excited with my next one and not very often I say “wow, I can’t wait to come back”… but guess what…

We really, can’t wait to come back!

Thanks to Rodolfo, Rob, Klaudina and all the wonderful Granada people!

If I left anything out, or you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask... I'll be adding pictures a little later!

Edited: 22 July 2012, 19:00
Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Granada Trip Review... Amazing!

I am glad that you liked your visit to Granada, it is just a little taste of what awaits you in the rest of Nicaragua, Tell Matt i say hi and that i will love to see him again here in Granada.

california
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Granada Trip Review... Amazing!

Thanks Rodolfo! Matt says hi and wants me to tell you he loved Granada, as did i. we'll probably do another trip soon!

for those interested, we flew with Copa, and they were great, we also got United miles (even better).

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
903 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Granada Trip Review... Amazing!

Excellent report! So glad you had a nice time...

Wine Country...
Level Contributor
64 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Granada Trip Review... Amazing!

I'm so pleased to see a recent review using Rodolfo. We contracted him several months ago to provide transportation from Liberia to Granada in August.

We are so excited for our visit to Granada and then to Ometepe. But, in the last week I cannot reach Rodolfo to verify our reservation.

Perhaps, Rodolfo, you will see my post and respond. We look forward to meeting you and experiencing Granada.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Granada Trip Review... Amazing!

Yes, i just replied to your email

mamamoney
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Granada Trip Review... Amazing!

Who can get me Rodolfo's number or email? We are two families ( at total of 7) . We are in Playa Hermosa, Guanacaste and would like to go to San Juan Del Sur and Granada for the next 2 days and would like if we could be picked up in Liberia tomorrow, August 9th returning to Playa Hermosa on Friday, August 10th.

We really want to go go and visit and we need assistance in getting there.

Please help!!

7. Re: Granada Trip Review... Amazing!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2012, 14:35
Alberta
Level Contributor
89 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Granada Trip Review... Amazing!

Thanks so much for your review, your itinerary looks similar to ours. We are staying in Granada for 3 days, going to SJDS for 2-3 days and then into Costa Rica. I would love a bit more information from your experience. I was thinking of going to Samara or there about for 2-3 days. We are than going to Puerto Viejo. With your great experience in Nicaragua, what would you choose to do in Costa Rica?

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
22 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Granada Trip Review... Amazing!

I just returned from 2 weeks in Granada. My wife, 2 children (6 & 8) and I spent 2 weeks there, 1 in San Juan del Sur and then 1 week in Arenal, Costa Rica.

I read lots of advice on this forum prior to traveling, so thought I'd post my blog/photos on here from my trip. I'll admit there's much more personal type observations than touristy stuff, but there is already plenty of info about Nicaragua to be found.

So...here's a link to my blog/photos. THERE ARE NO ADS ON MY BLOG!!! It's just something I did for fun. Go to "The Long and Winding Road 2012" and enjoy. Send me a note with any specific questions.

www.4fullers.weebly.com

10. Re: Granada Trip Review... Amazing!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2013, 10:18