We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Nicaragua? - A few questions

London, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Nicaragua? - A few questions

I am a total newbie on Nicaragua, but have been interested in it for many years having studied the US-Sandinista conflict in the 90s.

I was thinking of going there on my honeymoon. It seemed to me a good option as it seemed to offer a combination of history, sun, beaches, nature and also hopefully Latin dancing (which my other half is very keen to do) and scuba diving which fascinates me.

A few questions. I would like to ask the following if someone on this forum would be so kind:

1) What would be the ideal time to spend in the country from a casual tourist's perspective? I was thinking of 10 days (and also visiting a neighboring state or two), or maybe twice that. As I live in London and it is a big distance to come so I was thinking of making a decent go of it.

2) I was wondering if someone could suggest a brief iteninary of must see places for a first visit (I definitely want to see Managua and Granada for sure). I did a search for this but did not find a satisfactory result.

3) If we were to do an extended stay in one particular place, what are the opportunites for doing an intensive Latin dance course or dive with a scuba school.

Many thanks in advance for any help offered.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
190 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Nicaragua? - A few questions

Congrats on picking an awesome place for your honeymoon! I would definitely do at least 10 days just in Nicaragua. To get started, I would honestly go get the book Moon Handbook: Nicaragua. Although their European guides aren't as strong, they have the definitive travel guide to Nicaragua. None of the others like Lonely Planet, etc., come even close.

There is a good bit of info on their website as well, including several trip itinerary suggestions: moon.com/destinations/…discover-nicaragua

I would also post this on the gotonicaragua.com forum at gotonicaragua.com/forum.

i don't know anything about scuba or Latin dancing in Nicaragua, but overall the route for first-timers usually includes Granada, San Juan del Sur, Ometepe and Leon. We love the beaches outside Leon but for scuba I'm thinking you want to do Corn Islands. That is a big trek and basically a whole different part of Nicaragua, as it's in an autonomous region and not as easily accessible as most of the other tourist spots that generally are on the West coast.

Start with those two resources is my recommendation. Best of luck!

Edited: 17 February 2013, 02:24
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in Nicaragua? - A few questions

I agree on the Moon guide suggestion. I found it invaluable for planning my trip last year.

I can't really help with much of your question because we avoided the beach and spent most of our time around Granada, Masaya, etc.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,339 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in Nicaragua? - A few questions

Just for the records the US- SANDINISTAS conflict was not on the 90´s was a bit earlier and the US-NICARAGUA "conflict started it since the 1850's with Byron Cole and William Walker, until 1986 Ronald Reagan Iran Contra Affair NO OFFENSE.

And if interesting in some day trips or itinerary hopefully this works.

Day 1: Visit to the colonial city of Granada including a boat ride on the little Islands of Granada at Lake Nicaragua.

Day 2: Day trip to the city of Masaya, visiting the first national park of Nicaragua Masaya Volcano, Masaya art craft market, Catarina view point, San Juan de Oriente pottery town and canopy tour at Mombacho volcano.

Day 3: Transfer to Ometepe Island. Lunch at Moyogalpa and later walking tour in charco Verde. Enjoy the rest of the afternoon in your hotel.

Day 4: Full day trip on the island visiting Finca Magdalena, Finca El Porvenir, Playa santo domingo la piedra inculta trail, Altagracia y el ojo de agua. Or hike one of the two volcanoes Maderas volcano or Concepcion volcano. Or hike at San Ramon Waterfall.

Day 5 and 6: Transfer to San Juan Del Sur and enjoy of the beach.

And here you can enjoy about some diving and also dancing lesson as well of Granada with out the diving

Byron

London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in Nicaragua? - A few questions

Truly, many, many thanks for all of you who so kindly gave up your time to answer me.

Cincinnatalie - I will certainly purchase the Moon guide. I have already order the brand new edition from Amazon. Thanks very much for the link to the forum, whcih I will certainly check out.

Byronortega - I am well aware that the Reagan / Contra attack on Nicaragua was in the 1980s. I meant I wrote my dissertation on this topic in the 1990s. Many thanks for the suggested itinenary. Will definitely look at using this as a basis for my trip, although I am looking at maybe doing three weeks in Nicaragua, or possibly two weeks with a few days in Guatemala.

One more question. Is there a good travel operator I can use to try organise this that is not going to pull a fast one on non Spanish speaking foreigners?

Thanks again for your help and advice.

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
913 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in Nicaragua? - A few questions

Hola Watcher_of_the_pies:

My guests enjoy our "soft landing" service with airport pickup by a friendly face and a night or two near but not in Managua. They also get a lot out of my half-day tour of Managua if that is of interest to you.

Other nearby must-sees nearby are the Masaya Volcano and most folks also like to stop to pick up some unique souvenirs at the Artisan's Market in Masaya before going back home.

I would like to also mention San Juan de Oriente, one of the Pueblos Blancos in-between Masaya and Granada. I recently took guests to a wonderful pottery studio where the artisan showed us his whole process, including throwing a pot!

Lots of choices to be sure. Have a great luna de miel and best wishes for your happiness!

Cheers,

Mike @ Farmstay El Portón Verde

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1 post
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon in Nicaragua? - A few questions

Hey there!

Did you end up planning your trip to Nicaragua?

If you are in the search for a reliable travel operator I'd definitely recommend ORO Travel!! This is a tourisitic pioneer company in Nicaragua and they are very trusty and have excellent services. You may want to contact them at information@orotravel.com or visit their website www.orotravel.com

Saludooooos!

Mike

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
58 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon in Nicaragua? - A few questions

Besides other touristic places already mentioned, visit these historic sites if you want to see fragments of Nicaraguan history: Heroes y Martires museum in Leon, Coyotepe in Masaya and Laguna de Tiscapa in Managua. As for Latin dancing (salsa), go to Fandango in Managua. For Scuba diving, Little Corn Island is the best.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
166 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon in Nicaragua? - A few questions

Don't forget Laguna de Apoya

9. Re: Honeymoon in Nicaragua? - A few questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2014, 07:18