We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

teaching

Level Contributor
81 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
teaching

i really not sure if i am allowed to post this question.I am a certified Math teacher from the USA. We just got back from Central America and i would love to go back this month and teach for the rest of the year. Any help would be nice. Thanks Ray

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,467 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: teaching

there are many American schools in Managua as Lincol, American Nicaraguan school, Colegio Centroamerica, Aleman Nicaraguense, and a couple of universities such as Keiser university and INCAE bussines school. which all of them have their classes in English so give them a try to see if it works.

Hopkins, Belize
Level Contributor
1,536 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: teaching

Keep in mind when you get hired here, you will be paid in local wages.

The Academia Europea here in managua will hire you on the spot if you are white, and a native english speaker (racist? yes...but thats the way it is). But they will want you to work a standard work week which is monday through saturday, and they will pay you about 4.50 an hour, that was the highest hourly pay i personally found in the academies.

Lincoln academy will pay you 1000 dollars a month if you work the 6 day work week full time. Notre Dame as well. Keep in mind, both of these are religious schools and you will be required to teach various religious beliefsand aspects as part of your teaching.

Places more prestigious like the American Nicaraguan school might pay more, ive never personally gone to those like i have the others, but they require more in the way of degrees, etc.

Keep in mind there are hundreds, if not thousands of people who come here with the idea of teaching english. Its not a market where you can make demands. So basically, they offer something, and if you dont like it, well too bad, they will get someone else.

Some school can maybe help you to get private tutoring, etc. Which you can reasonably expect to get around 6-8 dollars an hour.But this is even more competitive as this is the position that most people want since its more flexible and pays more. So its very hit or miss.

I know dozens of people personally who have came here to teach english. the majority of which dont end up doing it when they realize what they are working for.

Its very easy to get a job teaching english in Managua. but its very difficult to get a GOOD or even DECENT job teaching English, as far as american standards go.

3. Re: teaching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2014, 05:19