We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help

South Haven...
Level Contributor
84 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Help

Good Morning :)

I am in the process of trying to plan a 10 day trip for my husband and I to get away and celebrate our 19th wedding anniversary and never did I realize it would be such a difficult task as there is so much to see and do in this beautiful country! I have put together a rough draft of what I have so far, however, I am looking for suggestions and tips, etc for those that have been there and done that. We are looking to experience a little taste of everything that we can while we are there.

Day 1: Arrive in Managua at 2pm. Stay at Nicaragua Guest House as we have an early morning flight out to Corn Islands and it's close for a cab ride as well as within walking distance to some eateries :)

Day 2: Early Morning Flight to Corn Islands... Boat ride over to Little Corn (Stay at Little B & & or Grace's Cool Spot) I originally had us staying at Grace's Cool Spot for certain as they offer a fishing charter trip as well as a sunset trip they were an interest to us and because the price was very appealing on the rooms. However, after reading I didn't realize the room I had picked up was not a cabana on/facing the beach so now I'm not sure if I just want to go to Little B & B

Day 3 & 4: Continue Stay on Little Corn

Day 5 & 6: Migrate over to Big Corn staying at Hospedjas Las Escapados

Day 7 & 8: Flight back to Managua, then find our way over to Ometepe. I would like to participate in a Homestay to experience the real culture of the people. (Hubby is kinda concerned because we don't know Spanish but I am told that we will be ok) I have Puesta del Sol or Los Ramos in mind, leaning more towards Los Ramos because it seems more real life to me, where as Puesta del Sol has more of a resort idea to me. Los Ramos also offers a tour that I am really interested in. (Please share if you have done a homestay)

Day 9: Continue our stay somewhere in Ometepe. I'm not really sure where or doing what. (is this night really worth it or would you move on to another location?)

Day 10: Migrate & Stay somewhere in the Granada area to participate in the Isles of Granada Kayak Tour or stay at the San Simian Lodge or Monkey Hut in Masaya so that we can experience the Laguna. (which would you recommend or do?)

Day 11: This is our final day in Nicaragua, however, we don't leave until 1:15 in the morning that following morning, so we won't be getting a place to stay instead I thought we would just stay active until it's time to head to the airport that evening. Activities for the day Masaya Volcano and the market for souviners, of course! then whatever else we find for the day to occupy ourselves :)

I REALLY wanted to stay one night at Mombacho Lodge as well, but I hate to cut some of the other must do's out of the itinerary so I guess that just means we have to visit again!! :)

Thank you for looking over my draft and appreciate any and all input you share :)

Level Contributor
34 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Help

Maybe cut short ur ometepe Leon is worth a visit too.

Chichiriviche...
Level Contributor
354 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Help

As you stay most of the trip on the islands there is afterwards not much more time to see the rest... The area around Granada, Masaya, Laguna de APoyo has a lot to offer i think you should stay in this area at least two nights...(Granada, Isletas, Laguna de Apoyo, White Villages, Vulcan Masaya, Handycraft Market Masaya and Mombacho) As you stay in Ometepe i woud no go to Mombacho as it is similar vegetation...But would think to shorten you stay at the islands or one day less on Ometepe...

Salta

new haven
Level Contributor
197 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Help

I'd skip Los Ramos. We went out there for a cooking class. It was fun and the family was incredibly friendly/entertaining, but way too long and they overcharged us. Maybe you can do the morning fishing with them. I bet that would be a great experience. I can't imagine sleeping there. it was unbearably hot, but maybe you have higher tolerance! We loved the kayak down the river in Ometepe- amazing wildlife. if you're not hiking the volcanoes, one night is probably enough on Ometepe. I also wouldn't miss staying in granada. So much to do and see for a couple of days in that area. If you stay at the Laguna, it's going to be much more difficult to get out and see the area. I would not miss visiting Masaya volcano either- we absolutely loved the night tour and walking through the caves and seeing the bats fly out in masses at dusk. if you want help organizing your time around granada, we used an awesome guide- Francisco. I'll give you his contact info. if you're interested. He was able to get us a private boat tour of the Isletas and gave us a private tour around Masaya volcano- much better than being with a big group.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
27 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Help

Just curious when your trip is, or if you have already gone how it went. I am also in the process of planning a two week vacation to Nicaragua/corn islands and am interested in jumping around a bit also. This is the first time I'm planning a vacation by myself, since our travel agent wouldn't book this since it's so non commercial, which we are so excited for! We are planning on going this february 2015. I'd be interested to know how your planning Is going or how your trip went since it sounds like we have a similar plan:) please email me!!!! Thank you, Serena

South Haven...
Level Contributor
84 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Help

Serena, we just got back last week from a fabulous vacation that ended up being 13 days and not in the order of what is in this itinerary at all..lol I messaged you :)

Granada Nicaragua
Level Contributor
962 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Help

I agree...too much time in the islands. They are nice but a beach is not necessarily unique to Nicaragua. cut 2days. I think...Ometepe could use 3-4 days as takes time to get there and back. Full discloser, I am not a big fan of home stays ...I think that is not necessarily time well spent for your trip. You can get and see a lot of the same by traveling about the country.

Granada or that area is a must. You can see the city in a day easy, see the islets (you will see more in a boat than a kayak, but could do both. Can go to visit Volcan Mombacho where there is a lot to do, coffee tour, visit the unique cloud forest, do zip lining (bold or easy tyro). Hike the trails and see a lot of wildlife and local life. Could stay in Granada one night and at the Mombacho lodge one night (pretty much off the beaten track but close to Granada) and get a lot done that you will miss if you spend all that time in then islands.

South Haven...
Level Contributor
84 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Help

Home stays get such mixed ratings, but I have to say after just getting back from our trip to Nicaragua and doing a 3 day home stay on Ometepe....it was one of our main highlights in our trip that will forever be etched in our hearts. Our only regret is that we didn't stay with the family longer.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
131 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Help

We are just beginning the planning of our trip and would love to hear how yours went! Can you post your itinerary and what you liked/hated,etc?

Thanks,

D

wellington
Level Contributor
92 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary Help

Keen to hear more about the Ometpe homestays please eg Puesta del Sol, Los Ramos and any others as will be there in December.

Muchas gracias

Portsmouth, NH
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary Help

Both the Monkey Hut and the San Simian are located in the Laguna, adjacent to the lake. A better choice for about the same price would be the Apoyo Resort and Conference Center which is located between the other two. The rooms are huge, the staff friendly and they have two restaurants, one on the lakefront and a smaill breakfast restaurant up high with the best view of the lake. They have the biggest beach on the lake with a pier and a floating dock I stayed there in July and they were building a third restaurant which is supposed to be a brick oven pizza place. The rooms have fans and AC. I was on my way to San Simian but stopped by to check this place out and never left.I agree with the other posts about Corn Island. Little Corn is exotic and relaxing. Good snorkening and diving, but I wouldn't stay on Corn.