We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Martin or Le bois Plage de Re?

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
St Martin or Le bois Plage de Re?

We are about to book our first holiday on Ile de Re for late August 2012, and can't decide between self catering properties in St Martin or Le Bois Plage as we haven't been there before. We are a family of 5 including 3 kids aged 9, 7 and 5. We intend to drive and bring bikes to get around. Got a feeling St M lovely for adults (restaurants, cafes, watch the world go by) but Le BP better for kids as nearer beaches? Any insight welcome!

Ile de Re, France
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Martin or Le bois Plage de Re?

I live on Ile de Re, and I would suggest you look for a self catering villa in Le Bois Plage, the nearby beach of Gros Jonc, is wonderful, sandy and great for swimming, the beaches on the North side of the island (St Martin) are very stoney, except for Rivedoux, and where the oyster farms are,

and so not so suitable for children. Le Bois Plage is also the perfect centre for cycling as all cycling piste centre here. You will have a wonderful holiday it's a delightful island all year round. Bonne vacances! Ian Dean

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: St Martin or Le bois Plage de Re?

Thanks Ian - a useful insight - I will no doubt follow your recommendation!

letterkenny
Level Contributor
39 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Martin or Le bois Plage de Re?

Hi Ian, Do you of any campsites where I can check in on a wed to a wed (for 2 weeks) in Mid august. Just booked flights and now finding it hard to get accommodation. Most sites do the Sat/Sun changeover.

Thanks

London
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: St Martin or Le bois Plage de Re?

Hello Ian!

Would you please recommend a bed and breakfast, or guest house with half board for my family and I? We are a family of five as well. Children ages 8.7 and 4. We would rather not have a self catering house, but a nice guest house with pool, and half board or breakfast. Also, we would like to stay in an area with easy walk to restaurants and shopping. We don't mind driving to the beach because we usually have so much stuff with us. Thank you for your help!!!

La Rochelle
Destination Expert
for La Rochelle
Level Contributor
747 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Martin or Le bois Plage de Re?

Hi Ian,

I'm a DE for La Rochelle, and its good to know we have an english speaker living on Ré to give sound advice to forum visitors.

I have plenty of advice on LR as I live in town, but know very little about about The Ile de Ré itself apart from getting there! .

Maybe you should think about being becoming a DE for the Ile de Ré as the posts regarding the island often take too long to be answered.

Maybe see you around sometime!

Edited: 16 April 2012, 14:54
Ireland
Level Contributor
42 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Martin or Le bois Plage de Re?

Hi Ian,

We are a family of 5 (3 children aged 9, 6 & 4) heading for La Grainettere campsite in August (this is our first ferry & drive holiday so fingers crossed!) Do you have any recommendation for Do’s or Don’ts when we get to Ile De Re?

(or anything we will need to bring etc)

Many thanks

Ile de Re, France
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Martin or Le bois Plage de Re?

Your children are the perfect age to enjoy Ile de Ré, you are in the ideal spot for sandy beeches, although pay attention to the incoming tide as the waves can get quite large, although great to learn to surf. I hope you are bringing your bikes as your children will enjoy the freedom of the cycle pistes that circum navigate the island, the rentals are ok if you have no room. If the weather turns, a trip to the aquarium in La Rochelle is well worth a visit. Picnic on the beach is the ideal ile de Ré day, although the island is very busy in August the natural beauty will delight you. Bonne vacances Ian

La Rochelle
Destination Expert
for La Rochelle
Level Contributor
747 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St Martin or Le bois Plage de Re?

Avoid peak times on the roads when driving as they can get congested, and keep an eye out for cyclists as often the cycle paths have to cross busy roads. Apart from being a bit sensible where transport is concerened the Ile de Re is idyllic! Have fun..

Cork
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St Martin or Le bois Plage de Re?

Is there a bus service from the airport to Bois Plage En Re on Ile de Re? Even the name of the bus company would be great, thanks and I can research further

La Rochelle
Destination Expert
for La Rochelle
Level Contributor
747 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St Martin or Le bois Plage de Re?

You would need to get 2 buses. Details from rtcr.fr. Also Les Mouettes run services on the islands, one of their services might stop at the airport.