We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ile de Re to Beziers

London, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Ile de Re to Beziers

Hi,

We are a couple with 2 young children aged 8 and 5 and, after staying for a week in Ile de Re in Mid August we will be driving down to Beziers with 7 nights at our disposal. I have looked at some of the lovely wineries / B&B's in and around Bordeaux but would welcome any suggestions on places we should be visiting en route, things to do and what may be a sensible route to take.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks,

Oliver

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ile de Re to Beziers

There are innumerable routes you could take, but if I understand correctly that you have 7 days to drive from Ile de Ré to Béziers, I'd probably drive to the Dordogne Day 1 and spend 2-3 days there exploring the prehistoric sites, canoeing, etc. (loads of things to do there for kids of yours' ages), then head over to Rocamadour and the Gouffre de Padirac, ending up in Cabrerets for one night so next morning you can see the Grotte de Pech Merle and St-Cirq-Lapopie. Then, either:

1. keep going south on the D roads through St-Antonin-Noble-Val, Cordes-sur-Ciel, Castelnau-de-Montmiral, and end at Albi. Next day, after visiting Albi, south again on the D roads through Graulhet, Lautrec, Puylaurens, Revel, and Castelnaudary, ending at Carcassonne. Next day to Béziers.

or

2. southwest to Figeac, then Villefranche-de-Rouergue, then Rodez. Next day, take a spin around the Gorges du Tarn and spend the night in Ste-Enimie. Next day head back west a bit and get on the A75 and go over the spectacular Millau Viaduct. Get off at exit 53 and visit the Grotte de Clamouse, then get back on the highway and head for Sète. Spend the next morning there, then go into Montpellier for the day and continue on to Béziers or spend a night in Montpellier and zip over to Béziers in the morning.

You could make this much simpler, of course, but with 7 days you would have the time to see a ot of wonderful sights, like those above, along the way.

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ile de Re to Beziers

Thank you very much for those brilliant suggestions. It is very much appreciated. Are there any particular areas in the Dordogne you'd advise we should base ourselves for the first few days ?

Oliver

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ile de Re to Beziers

If you want to do the usual things in the Dordogne (caves and other prehistoric sites, markets, canoeing/kayaking, castles...), I'd base in or somewhere near Sarlat. If this is a trip in high season, you might find parking in Sarlat itself to be a hassle, so perhaps someplace like Montignac or Le Bugue or St-Cyprien. Some of the smaller villages along the river (Beynac, La Roque-Gageac, Domme, Limeuil...) also get very crowded in high season, and the road along the river bank is narrow and gets congested, so even though they're beautiful you might want to steer clear of them in July and August. Then there are some really beautiful small villages that few people know about, like St-Géniès and Tamniès and St-Chamassy, but of course because of their size there may not be much in the way of accommodation.

Hope this helps.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ile de Re to Beziers

St Cirq has given you BRILLIANT suggestions for your trip, in both itineraries. Lots of lovely places, and Albi is a great city, plan to spend a good day there. However if you decide to use the second itinerary over the (rather scary) Viaduc de Millau, you might consider the very short side trip from Millau to Roquefort. Lovely scenery, interesting village and although the cheese might be too sophisticated a taste for your kids, they would probably enjoy a tour, you are taken down into the cheese caves. Not the real, functioning ones that are very highly protected for food security, but a former cave that people can visit. We enjoyed our tour at Papillon, and especially the cheese tasting afterwards! The entrance is via a modest shopfront in the main street of Roquefort, which is a small village.

Edited: 08 January 2014, 01:35
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ile de Re to Beziers

I totally agree, Balisand, with regard to the scare factor on the Viaduct de Millau ( I still prefer the old way into town) and the cheese tours (my kids hated them -I loved them, but there you go!)

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ile de Re to Beziers

Thank you very much guys, we are planning the trip now and will let you know how we get on !

7. Re: Ile de Re to Beziers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2015, 05:21