We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to Ile de Re

Stroud, United...
Level Contributor
326 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
First visit to Ile de Re

We are staying in Sainte Marie de Re for the early June Bank Hioday weekend (in the UK) and hoped others could reccommend things to do, places to see, where to hire bikes, preferred restaurants etc.

I look forward to your reccommendations.

13 replies to this topic
Stroud, United...
Level Contributor
326 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit to Ile de Re

Just got back from this trip and had a great time so if anyone else is looking on here for tips etc please feel free to get in touch.

La Rochelle
Destination Expert
for La Rochelle
Level Contributor
748 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit to Ile de Re

Thanks thats very helpful!

Dublin, Ireland
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit to Ile de Re

Hi there!

I am visiting for the first time soon, staying in St Martin de Re. I am travelling alone before joining a friend in La Rochelle later. I would appreciate any advice you can give me or tips. Any nice places to eat? Not a fan of typical french food as I'm a vegetarian and would love to try the Thalassotherapy treatments.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Rosie

Berkshire
Level Contributor
3 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit to Ile de Re

We are taking a family holiday at Bois Plage in May/June 2012. We are wondering if there are any public bus services in the Island and whether you can hire cars locally. Also how much the tolls on the bridge to La Rochelle are.

Berkshire
Level Contributor
3 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit to Ile de Re

We are visiting Blois Plage in May/June and would like to know if you can hire cars locally, and the availability of bus services around the island and to LaRochelle.

england
Level Contributor
143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First visit to Ile de Re

Hi, I am planning to visit Ile de Re in May and considering staying in either Ka Flotte or St Martin. Which would you recommend? Many thanks

Sevenoaks Kent
Level Contributor
108 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First visit to Ile de Re

St Martin is the larger town and is more focussed towards tourists. In May it will be comfortable in terms of tourist and quite picturesque.

La Flotte is prettier and smaller. It has a warmer feel to its bigger brother.

Either will be a good break at that time of year.

Car hire is not necessary if you are capable of riding a bike. Everyone from 2 years to 80 gets about on bikes. The island is very flat and purpose built cycle paths are everywhere.

Bus services are OK off season but the island does have a free summer bus service courtesy of the tolls raised on the mainland bridge. There is also a cheap link from the mainland over the bridge which will take bikes as well (June to August)

england
Level Contributor
143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First visit to Ile de Re

Thank you Gary, most helpful. Where to the local buses run to and from off season ie end May? We are looking at cottages in St Martin, La Flotte and Bois Plage which is perhaps the bottom of the list. Will have a loser look at La Flotte. Thanks again

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First visit to Ile de Re

I think car hire may be difficult on the Ile de Re. It is fine at La Rochelle Airport. The bridge over to the Island cost I think in high season €16 return. On the island, Ars en Re is a lovely little village with good restaurants. Have a good time

england
Level Contributor
143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First visit to Ile de Re

Thanks to everyone for your great tips. We have been thinking about going for years and finally made up our mind to go in May.

Reply to: First visit to Ile de Re
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sainte Marie de Re