We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation

Vancouver, Canada
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Transportation

I am a single male 70 yrs old in excellent health. This is my first visit to France and I speak no French. I am staying in Bonnieux. Should I use a car or train to visit the Provance region?

6 replies to this topic
Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,126 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation

Bonnieux and many of the small towns and villages in Provence are not at all well served by public transport. It's designed with the needs of local commuters in mind, not tourists. Small villages are not going to be served by trains, only buses. Unless you just want to hang around the village, relax and maybe do some light hiking then you really must have a car to visit this region.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,162 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation

Wonkey....you really do need a car to visit this region. You have picked a good base...Bonnieux is lovely, but be prepared for some walking. There are lots of "ups and downs" in the village. Lots to see in the immediate area.

Vancouver, Canada
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation

Many thanks! Very helpful...

Vancouver, Canada
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation

I am a Canadian and I will be driving from Paris to Bonnieux end of June. I have never been to France and speak no English. Can you please recommend a small village or town to stay at between Paris and Bonnieux. Thank you.........Dale

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,162 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation

Wonkey...I would take the TGV from Paris to Avignon. It is a 2.75 hour trip. Pick your car up at the Avignon TGV station and drive the last 50 kms to Bonnieux.

Vancouver, Canada
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation

Sounds like a great idea as it seems I will need a car for getting around in Provance. Many thanks.......

Reply to: Transportation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted