We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chalet Isba Meribel (SkiTotal)- Not a 5 diamond experience

Which Meribel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Truro, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Chalet Isba Meribel (SkiTotal)- Not a 5 diamond experience

Chalet Isba is a chalet in the town of Meribel, owned by Ski Total and marketed by IgluSki. The property is not currently listed on TripAdvisor, so I'm posting here in the hopes interested parties can discuss the property (until it gets listed, which I've asked for).

In March 2013 we booked a holiday via Iglu Ski at Chalet Isba in Meribel. We were recommended this 5 diamond chalet by our Iglu advisor, however were very disappointed by the chalet, the food and the service throughout the week. We have stayed in similar chalets every year for quite a number of years, and this was the most disappointing chalet we've ever stayed in. Based on the Ski Total website, we had expectations of 5 star food and service. However, the chalet description did not match up with reality:

- Food was very average, coffee cold, and extras were pitiful.

- £35 to accommodate allergy, but got children's cereal and ate worse than regular guest meals.

- Room with "balcony" didn't mention the balcony was shared by all guests, so curtains closed at all times. Worse than not having a balcony.

- Chalet staff lukewarm, no menus, no honor bar, no extra towels for jacuzzi, many little things added up.

All of these things mentioned would have been acceptable if the chalet was marketing appropriately and priced accordingly. We were sold a five-diamond experience, and got significantly less. We got an official response from Ski Total, and it was just shy of a template response. Don't be fooled, this is not a 5 diamond chalet.

Brighton, United...
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Chalet Isba Meribel (SkiTotal)- Not a 5 diamond experience

Sounds typical of larger companies, you should try Alpine Action in Meribel, book with them direct, their chalets and staff are all excellent. We highly recommend, we have travelled with them for the past 4 seasons, in Meribel and La Tania.

Oz en Oisans, France
Level Contributor
612 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chalet Isba Meribel (SkiTotal)- Not a 5 diamond experience

Agree with Smarties - also try the independents.

There are many listed on sites like Owners Direct and Homeaway.

Owner operated have an interest in the guests wellbeing and want you to return.

The extra charge for dietary requirements is interesting but in our view unacceptable.

Edited: 29 June 2013, 10:37
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Chalet Isba Meribel (SkiTotal)- Not a 5 diamond experience

We regret that ‘petr0’ was disappointed with the Chalet Isba, which he feels did not live up to the recommendation from his travel advisor at Iglu. Catering in the chalet throughout the season received largely ‘good’ and ‘excellent’ reviews from guests on the feedback forms completed at the end of their holiday, so it is regrettable that ‘petr0’ does not feel that his own personal expectations were met on this occasion.

Our Guest Relations team has corresponded with ‘petr0’ addressing a number of the points raised above and would be happy to do so further.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chalet Isba Meribel (SkiTotal)- Not a 5 diamond experience

hello Ski Total, i am part of a booking due to stay in this chalet shortly. can you please provide me with a breakdown of what the chalet hosts prepare in the way of meals.

i would also be very grateful if you could cover a few more of the points 'petr0' has mentioned, such as the lack of towels, condition of chalet and previous chalet hosts experience.

thank you in advance.

Oxford, United...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Chalet Isba Meribel (SkiTotal)- Not a 5 diamond experience

We too have experienced Chalet Isba Meribel back in February 2013, and also booked through Igluski. The chalet is not at all as described, and is certainly not a platinum 5* chalet.

Our room was a tiny twin, overlooking the bank to the side of the road. The food was appalling in every respect, and certainly could not be described as cuisine. One meal in particular was inedible. The chalet was described as convenient for the lifts, involved clumping down the hill to the piste, and then skiing to the main lifts, but as it is not possible to ski uphill getting back is a little more difficult. During our week the wait for the courtesy bus was in excess of 30 minutes, but Ski Total said one of the vehicles had broken down, and anyway the service is complimentary so not guaranteed? The hottub was insanitary and broken for 4 of the 7 days we were there. The staff were not engaging, probably because of the budget and conditions they were forced to work under.

Another joke is that the chalet is adult only, but to Ski Total this means over 12 years old? really? Can they consume alcohol? should they be party to adult conversations? quite ridiculous.

I complained to the resort rep, which achieved nothing despite being promised an improvement in food and the hottub. I complained to Ski Total head office on my return , who basically explained why the various problems occurred, and told me the food had been checked and was fine? After much haggling I just could not waste any more time trying to make them understand my disappointment, and their responsibility so accepted a nominal refund. Ski total promised to review their marketing blurb, but are still making the same false claims.

When I tried to post a negative review on Igluski it was blocked, the reason given being that I had accepted compensation from Total ski so was not entitled to leave feedback.

DISGRACEFUL!!!

Truro, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chalet Isba Meribel (SkiTotal)- Not a 5 diamond experience

At least you got some kind of compensation! I guess I should have battled with them more. All I got was a 'sorry you feel that way' non-apology.

In the end, I've learned from other posts and responses to me that you shouldn't have high expectations of Ski Total's offerings, and got some good recommendations for other providers for future ski chalet trips.

High Wycombe
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chalet Isba Meribel (SkiTotal)- Not a 5 diamond experience

Has anyone stayed here in 2014? We were on the point of booking when I saw this thread!

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chalet Isba Meribel (SkiTotal)- Not a 5 diamond experience

Whiteleaf87 I have just returned from staying at Chalet Isba for Xmas week and whilst some of the comments made by Petr0 in 2013 are probably still valid, overall it's not too bad. The good points are:

The location is definitely good, easy to walk to/from local bars and shops on the Main Street when not wearing ski boots. The bus stop is a couple of mins from the chalet if the Ski Total shuttle isn't operating. The hot tub works well and water changed and kept clean, sauna also works, with fluffy bathrobe and slippers provided.

The negative points: The complimentary wine is the worst wine I've ever had. The white is completely undrinkable as is one of the two reds, the other red ok if you're desperate and then there's a rose which I didn't bother trying. Three parties staying and we all ended up buying our own wine!

The chalet shuttle finishes too early (9.30am) as breakfast is still being served then. It also needs to start half hr earlier in the afternoon at 4.00pm especially when lifts are closing early due to weather conditions. It means guests are having to hang about and wait.

The reason the food isn't a good as it could be is partly because the kitchen doesn't have a grill, nor a microwave which works and not even a toaster. I was told by staff that management have been told and items requested etc, but done nothing to rectify the problems.

The staff were very pleasant but, apart from the chef who knew what he was doing, experienced 'seasonaire' and was a lovely cheerful chap, a lack of confidence and inexperience due to the young ages of the girls showed up as they didn't interact fully, there was no sense of a fun Xmas spirit, but merely acting as waitresses. In addition room cleaning didn't seem to be their forte either as our bathroom wasn't cleaned properly for 4 days ie w.c. Mirror, floor etc.

To use the cinema room guests need to bring their own DVDs and there is a music system but for this guests also have to supply their own music which isn't made clear on Ski Total web site or anywhere else.

There are no board games, cards or any used books provided, all of which I've had in other chalets.

In summary, not a horrendous experience and if I had to return there then so be it, but out of choice I would use a smaller independent chalet company when returning to Meribel.

High Wycombe
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chalet Isba Meribel (SkiTotal)- Not a 5 diamond experience

Thank you so much Rosie - this reinforces the reservations I had - 'on paper' it looks so good BUT .........

Btw, we often go the Tarentaise area - if you ever look at going there I can't recommend Chalet Rassel highly enough (have no personal interest - just saying on the basis of one good turn deserves another)

Thank you again :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chalet Isba Meribel (SkiTotal)- Not a 5 diamond experience

Thanks for the heads up everyone, was thinking of booking the whole chalet this year for Xmas Week 2015, will hold off for now and keep looking, any recommendations for an 18 person chalet in a snow sure resort would be appreciated. Cheers all

Get answers to your questions about Meribel