We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far is Newport News to Hampton (driving time)

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
725 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
How far is Newport News to Hampton (driving time)

My husband and I are planning a weekend in Virginia for the Hampton Jazz Fest, I was able to get a room in Hampton, but also noticed better rates in Newport News, and I hear its a beautiful city to visit. Would it be worth the drive?? We are only planning to attend one of the shows for the jazz fest, and the rest of our weekend will be at leisure.

Thanks

Newport News
Level Contributor
54 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How far is Newport News to Hampton (driving time)

Newport News is the neighboring city to Hampton. For the majortiy of the accomodations in Newport News, you're talking about a 5 mile drive to the Hampton Coliseum, where the Jazz Fest will be. DEFINITELY worth the drive, given the short distance. There are a few more accommodations in Newport News a shorter drive away, but we're talking 7-10 miles at the most. But just keep in mind traffic. I'm not sure how close to the Coliseum your accommodations are, you didn't say where you were staying, but traffic in that immediate area during Jazz Fest will be a bit crazy.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
725 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How far is Newport News to Hampton (driving time)

Thanks for your reply,

Right now we are currently booked at the Country Inn and Suites in Hampton (address is 1551 Hardy Cash Drive),

I am also looking at possibly booking the Holiday Inn in Newport News. Not sure yet!!

I know my husband will not like driving too much once we get there. But if Newport News is not far from Hampton, that would be okay.

Thanks for your suggestions/tips

Louise

Hampton Roads, Va
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How far is Newport News to Hampton (driving time)

If the cost is similar, I would stick wt Country Inn. It may be a good bit easier to get to the Jazz Fest from Hardy Cash than from J Clyde Morris.

Newport News
Level Contributor
54 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How far is Newport News to Hampton (driving time)

There is a Holiday Inn & Suites and also a Holiday Inn Express in Newport News. Both are nice. The Express is probably too far away. But the Inn & Suites would be a perfect choice for you. They are right off I-64 (exit 258B), and there is an exit a few miles up for the Coliseum, which would put you pretty much right there where you need to be in a straight shot. I think it would be much easier to get to the Coliseum via interstate, than Hardy Cash Dr, because it's a straight shot & you don't have to maneuver around street lights & the general city traffic like you would via Hardy Cash. Also, if the Holiday is sold out, the Point Plaza is right across the street, & is owned & operated by the same management company & is also very nice.

5. Re: How far is Newport News to Hampton (driving time)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 14:24