We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Busch Gardens/Kings Dominion/Newport News

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
144 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Busch Gardens/Kings Dominion/Newport News

My husband, my 3 1/2 year old sons and I will be coming to Virginia in June. We will definitely be heading to Busch Gardens/Water Country USA and are also debating a trip to Kings Dominion.

We are only planning to stay 4 days/3 nights. Is it too much to plan to go to both Busch Gardens and Kings Dominion in one trip? Also, from NYC, which is further, Bush Gardens or Kings Dominion? If we stayed in Newport News, would that be inconvenient for both places or would we be better staying closer to Kings Dominion? Also, besides the amusement parks, any other activities recommended for two 3 1/2 year old boys?

Finally, I need a hotel where we can have a suite so that the boys can go to sleep in the bedroom and my husband and I will not disturb them with the tv.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Newport News
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Busch Gardens/Kings Dominion/Newport News

I would recommend going to Busch Gardens and Water Country. I know the two theme parks offer package deals to go to both parks during your time here. You could easily stay in Newport News which also has a lot to offer your boys. The Virginia Living Museum is a great place for them. You could spend almost a whole day there and they have a cafe where you could eat lunch which is great.

Fort Fun at Huntington Park is a huge playground that your boys would love! They have shelters there for picnics and is located on a beach.

Kings Dominion is a little over an hour from Busch Gardens and is closer to NYC.

Some hotels in Newport News that offer suites are Budget Lodge, Comfort Suites Airport, Coutnry Inn & Suites, Crestwood Suites, Econo Lodge Ft. Eustis, Hampton Inn - Victory Boulevard, Hampton Inn & Suites, Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, Mulberry Inn, Newport News Marriott at City Center, Omni Newport News, Point Plaza Suites and Sleep Inn & Suites. All of the hotels I listed have pools as well with the exception of Budget and Crestwood.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Busch Gardens/Kings Dominion/Newport News

Thanks so much for you advice. I actually booked 2 nights in the Point Plaza Suites and we opted to go to Virginia Beach for one night after Newport News. We will definitely be heading to the Living Musuem (also recommended by the hotel when I made my reservation). We are booked in a 1BR suite which seems to suit our needs well.

I will definitely look into Fort Fun.

Any suggestions on places to eat? One of my sons doesn't eat the normal kids meal things (hamburgers or hot dogs or chicken nuggets or pasta), he mainly sticks to pancakes, waffles, pizza, fruit.

Thanks.

Piscataway, New...
Level Contributor
56 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Busch Gardens/Kings Dominion/Newport News

I am considering Point Plaza suites for a July 4th vacation, & use as a base to visit WB/ VB. I would appreciate any feedback on this hotel. Thanks in advance

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Busch Gardens/Kings Dominion/Newport News

Luvtravel,

I can't comment on the Point Plaza hotel (haven't stayed there, but check reviews, I've heard some good comments on the forum), it's located in Newport News about 20-30 min from W'burg and 60 minutes from Va Beach. Unfortunately because of traffic in our area those are not realistic driving times during the summer. It routinely takes 1.5-2 hrs to get to Va Beach from NN (sometimes longer), and during rush hours going to and from W'burg can be an hour+. You may not mind traffic congestion and long commutes but I just wanted you to know what to expect. Good luck and enjoy the area.

Piscataway, New...
Level Contributor
56 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Busch Gardens/Kings Dominion/Newport News

Thanks, last yr. summer in 8/08 we used NN as a base for WB/ VB. I was fortunate as traffic was not an issue. It took 45min- 1hr to travel back/forth to vb and ~ 15-20 mins to get to BG/ col WB. I appreciate your feedback.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Busch Gardens/Kings Dominion/Newport News

luvtravel:

Since you have done the Newport News to Va Beach/Williamsburg trip before, any traveling tips between these places?

Thanks.

Piscataway, New...
Level Contributor
56 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Busch Gardens/Kings Dominion/Newport News

Hi, I may have been fortunate last Summer but we encountered no major problems with traffic from NN to Col. WB, Busch Gard./water world. We did experience some heavy traffic ( no worse than you would experience in NY/NJ) on one of our day trips to VB but we used our GPS to get around it via alternate route.

On average our trips took ~45 mins to 1 hr between VB/ NN. Have entertainment /snacks for the kids in the car and they'll be fine. We did this with a 4yr old, with no problems. Parking around the oceanfront appeared ample; We rented a family bike and we rode up/ down the boardwalk; and we enjoyed haning out on the beach. There were plenty of reasonably priced places to get treats/ meals.

We ran out of time and did not get to visit Kings Dominion, but will try to go this summer as they have a waterpark as part of the themepark; and appear to have multiple attractions for very young children.

Busch Gar. is an amazing park; it is super clean, and aesthetically appealing, much more beautiful than Orlando's Disney, and we are huge Disney fans ( Been To disney 6 times). NN was a friendly place to use as a home base, tons of family friendly restaurants, museums/ shopping venues/ parks( check out Fort Fun at Hungtington Park, for the boys ).

The staff at the hotel( HI/ Suites on Jefferson) in which we stayed were very friendly & warm; and gave us lots of info about the area/ attractions/what to expect at VB. This year I'm thinking about staying at the Point Plaza suites in NN as they offered a great family friendly deal.

You should have lots of Fun. With your short visit, you may only have time for BG/ WW. Kings dom. is ~ 2 hrs away. You may want to check out Virg. Living Museum also. We had such a good , fun, relaxing vacation last year, that we decided to pass on disney again this year, and return to Virginia.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Busch Gardens/Kings Dominion/Newport News

Luv:

Thanks for the info. We decided not to go to Kings Dominion. As we have a short stay w/ a long drive we are planning to do the VA living museum when we hit Newport News and just hang around at the hotel pool or area parks. The next day we will do Busch Gardens and the last day we will go to VA Beach and we have a hotel room for the night. ON our way back to NY from Va Beach (depending on the kids' temperment -- two 3 1/2 year olds can be very unpredictable) we plan to stop at the Children's Musuem of Richmond.

I'll let you know about the Point Plaza when we return so u can have an idea about it if u plan to stay there. We have a suite with a separate bedroom so that will be nice.

Do you recall the routes you took to BG and Va Beach?

Piscataway, New...
Level Contributor
56 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Busch Gardens/Kings Dominion/Newport News

Sounds like a good plan. Definitely let me know about the Point Plaza, I reserved a 1 BR Suite for a week in early July, so your feedback will be greatly appreciated. When I get home from work tonight, I will check the GPS address book to see if we saved the routes fr. NN-VB. If we did I will post. I hope you have a wonderful trip. I do remember that the route our GPS used was similar to the one on mapquest.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Busch Gardens/Kings Dominion/Newport News

Thanks. I will definitely post when i return. How long was the trip from Piscataway to Va? My sister in law lives in Piscataway so i could gauge from your timing. Thankfully we have a DVD player for the car. LOL