We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice--hotels in & around Newport News for baseball..

baseballfan1
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice--hotels in & around Newport News for baseball..

My son will be playing in a tournament this weekend in the Newport News area. We will play in Chesapeake, Williamsburg, and in several locations around Newport News. Having trouble deciding on which area to book a hotel, and then which hotel.Obviously no matter where we stay we'll have a 30-60 min drive to some of the field locations. Would like something reasonably priced and fairly nice, not a roach motel but don't need anything too fancy.

I'd appreciate any advice I can get from those that know the area.

Thanks!

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice--hotels in & around Newport News for baseball..

Because our summer traffic is quite bad (especially when you have to travel through a tunnel like NN to Chesapeake), I would stay in the area where most of the games will be played. From your post, that sounds like NN. There are lots of chain hotels in the area around the airport, there is also Patrick Henry Mall and plenty of restaurants, and near the airport is convenient to W'Burg. For the game in Chesapeake (hopefully you only need to make the trip once), give yourself plenty of travel time, check traffic condition by tuning 610AM or call 511 for recorded status. The Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel is normally the most congested route so check out I664 and Monitor Merrimac Bridge Tunnel as it can be a good way to get to Chesapeake.

Good luck

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice--hotels in & around Newport News for baseball..

Agree. Also which part of Chesapeake the games are held will affect your travel route. Do you know the name of the field/fields or whether it's Great Bridge or Hickory or Western Branch, for example? Chesapeake is definitely "the problem" in the equation. Assuming that the bulk of your games will be in NN or Wburg, look for hotels around the airport, Patrick Henry Mall, or even in Hampton around Peninsula Town Center or the Coliseum.

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
149 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice--hotels in & around Newport News for baseball..

If you decide to stay in Newport News, the Newport News Marriott Hotel at City Center is a nice hotel that is fairly new. It is located in a nice development, City Center at Oyster Point (www.citycenteratoysterpoint.com). City Center has a bunch of shops and restaurants, such as Maggie Moo's Ice Cream, Red Star Tavern, Hayashi Japanese Steakhouse, and Salsa's Mexican Restaurant, just to name a few.

baseballfan1
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice--hotels in & around Newport News for baseball..

Thank you all for your help. We are playing at Western Branch HS on Friday, William & Mary Saturday, and then various fields in NN on Sunday.

Unfortunately, most of the reasonably priced hotels in NN were booked for the weekend so we decided to drive to Williamsburg after Friday's games and stay there. At least my Saturday morning drive will be short. :) We chose the George Washington Inn because my friend's son has stayed there and said he liked it. (Not that teenage boys have a good barometer for cleanliness--so we'll see.)

I appreciate the traffic/route info that only locals can provide.

Thanks again!

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice--hotels in & around Newport News for baseball..

Great - you're coming to my neighborhood on Friday. Take the Monitor-Merrimac Bridge. Alternative is the James River Bridge.

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice--hotels in & around Newport News for baseball..

If you have growing boys, you may wish to investigate an all suites hotel such as the Staybridge Suites in Chesapeake. Room rate includes nice add ons such as breakfast, evening reception, etc. It is close to a mall for children friendly dining, movies and other activities as well.

travelguide-hamptonroads.com/virginia-hotels…

The Marriott Chesapeake next door to the Staybridge is also nice and has some great rooms. Keep it in mind as well.

7. Re: Need advice--hotels in & around Newport News for baseball..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2011, 05:17