We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ft Eustis - Planning a Trip to See Grandson 4th of July

Mobile, Alabama
3 posts
Save Topic
Ft Eustis - Planning a Trip to See Grandson 4th of July

We are planning a trip the 4th of July - our grandson has a 4 day pass off base. He loves the beach - what would be the best hotel to stay at?

Virginia Living Museum
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Aquariums, Science Museums, Observatories & Planetariums
Newport News Park
Parks, Biking Trails
Destination Expert
for Hampton, Newport News
Level Contributor
514 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ft Eustis - Planning a Trip to See Grandson 4th of July

Fort Eustis is right around the corner from the Newport News Visitor Center (NNVC is at Exit 250-B off of I-64, while Ft. Eustis is Exit 250-A) so you might want to drop by for maps, discount coupons and the like.

You have choices regarding area beaches:

* In Newport News, you'll find a sandy river beach on the James River (Huntington Beach) right by the Virginia War Museum, Huntington Park and Newport News Rose Garden. It's about approx 25 min from Fort Eustis.

* Yorktown (about 15-20 min away) has a sandy river beach on the York River.

A bit further out:

* Hampton has a beachfront along the Chesapeake Bay, Buckroe Beach.

* Norfolk also has a Bay beach at Ocean View.

* And, of course, if you want the Oceanfront, that would be Virginia Beach.

Are you looking at staying by Fort Eustis or near the water? An interactive map of the city, showing hotels and attractions, can be found at:

Now if you want beachfront accomodations, NN does have nearby hotels but nothing right on the beach. However, many hotels in the city are pretty convenient to the water and you could cover a beach a day! Otherwise, Yorktown, Norfolk and Virginia Beach have beachfront properties.

Btw, please thank your grandson on our behalf for his service! :-)

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,722 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ft Eustis - Planning a Trip to See Grandson 4th of July

If your grandson loves the beach, I think Virginia Beach would be the place for him (and you). I would imagine, however, that the hotels are filling up fast for July 4th and the following weekend and I also imagine the rates will be at a premium.

We have stayed in two different hotels and enjoyed both very much--the SpringHill Suites and Hampton Inn Oceanfront North. The SpringHill Suites is at the far southern end of the boardwalk and the Hampton Inn is at the far northern end, but that doesn't really matter. You don't need to be right in the middle to enjoy Virginia Beach--there's something going on everywhere!

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
264 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ft Eustis - Planning a Trip to See Grandson 4th of July

Try one of the military facilities, since you'll have an eligible member in your party --

I haven't heard any more about Cape Henry Inn being operational again, but that might be worth keeping an eye on as well.

4. Re: Ft Eustis - Planning a Trip to See Grandson 4th of July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2014, 16:16