We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help please for 5 nights from Bacharach

Sydney
Level Contributor
271 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help please for 5 nights from Bacharach

Hello brains trust!! I hope you can help me.

My wife and I will be arriving by train from Heidelberg in June and staying in Bacharach near the train station for 5 nights before heading to Amsterdam by train.

I need some help with developing an itinerary. I don't plan to have a car (do I need one??) and was intending to travel by ferries and trains to various Rhine area destinations. We are not really wine drinkers and are interested in the area for its charm and beauty from what we have seen. This is our lower (and cheaper) version of one of those expensive Rhine River 10 night cruises that we can't afford.

I was wondering whether someone could map out an itinerary based on using ferries and trains please for 4 days.(arriving late to and leaving early from Bacharach from/to our previous/next destinations hence the 4 days).

Yes we are interested in Castles and naturally beaufitul areas as well as anything that is quirky. We will probably have had enough of museums after Paris and with Amsterdam coming up after.

If ferry trips are suggested is it possible to recommend a company? Also, any hand hints such as train to X and then Ferry back to save time would be appreciated.

thank you so much!!

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,647 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help please for 5 nights from Bacharach

Quirky in St. Goar: deutsches-puppen-und-baerenmuseum.de/English…

Not exactly quirky but a very unique, amazing experience: tripadvisor.in/LocationPhotos-g494948-d17308…

There is so much to do in the area that I hesitate to suggest a specific itinerary - you can probably make some of your own choices in advance. I'd suggest having a look at the "Romantic Rhine" and "Moselle" areas first at the following site, which is fairly complete:

flyhahn.com/rhineland-palatinate/travel-guid…

Linz am Rhein is conspicuously absent from the above pages - but it's a gorgeous town worth a trip:

http://www.linz.de/pdf/Linz_Prospekt_2007.pdf

This should help too: www.welterbe-mittelrheintal.de/index.php…

Marksburg (in Braubach), Rheinfels (St. Goar), Burg Eltz (Moselkern), and Reichsburg (Cochem) tend to be the most interesting and accessible castles for train travelers.

It's easy to spend 5 days just in the smaller places between Koblenz and Mainz. on the Rhine, and between Koblenz and Trier on the Mosel. You may be tempted by larger places too, like Trier, Mainz, Cologne, or Frankfurt, depending on your interests, so do some research and come back with a list of places that seem like "musts" for you.

Sydney
Level Contributor
271 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help please for 5 nights from Bacharach

Hi Russ,

thanks for your advice, much appreciated!! I think we will stick with the Romantic Rhine suggestion and/or the smaller stops between Koblenz and Mainz. I presume this would take in Marksburg (in Braubach), Rheinfels (St. Goar), Burg Eltz (Moselkern), and Reichsburg (Cochem)?

How would you map an itinerary out for these places using ferries (KD Line??) and trains? Which direction would you take the ferry and trains? Not sure which way is upstream on the ferries (presumably heading north towards Amsterdam would be upstream.

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
2,061 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help please for 5 nights from Bacharach

You could take the KD boat from either Bacharach or Bingen to Braubach to visit Marksburg. From Braubach, take the train to St. Goarshausen, the ferry (not the KD boat) to St. Goar and the train back to Bacharach.

Oberwesel, St. Goar and Boppard are only a few minutes from Bacharach on the hourly train. Train tickets from Bacharach to Oberwesel and beyond are good for one day and allow intermediate stops.

Burg Eltz is about a 1.5 hour scenic walk from the station in Moselkern. To get from Bacharach to Moselkern and/or Cochem, you would have to change trains in Koblenz. Moselkern is only served by the slow RB trains. If you start your trip after 9 a.m. or on the weekend, you could use a Rheinland-Pfalz Ticket. This is good for local trains only, so you cannot use it for the IC trains from Koblenz to Cochem.

You are already familiar with Köln-Düsseldorfer. For boat trips on the Mosel, look at

http://www.moselrundfahrten.de

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,647 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help please for 5 nights from Bacharach

"I think we will stick with the Romantic Rhine suggestion and/or the smaller stops between Koblenz and Mainz. I presume this would take in Marksburg (in Braubach), Rheinfels (St. Goar), Burg Eltz (Moselkern), and Reichsburg (Cochem)?"

The first two are Rhine castles - the last two are on the Mosel River - also a very romantic place, and with 5 days, a place you certainly have time to visit.

So after your journey from Heidelberg you'll have perhaps a half day on Day 1 and 4 full days after that, right?

I'd suggest using a single Rhine village as a base town for all outings. Given your travel goals, Boppard would work best for outings by train. It's a nice town with lots of accommodations and dining choices, numerous wineries. St. Goar could also work too - fewer choices and less to do there but the scenery there is the best and it's not far from Boppard. (Bacharach is further south and maybe a possibility but it will add close to one hour to the round-trip train journeys you'll be taking to see Cochem and Burg Eltz.)

Day 1: Settle in and enjoy the scenery.

First a short train primer, as Day 1 is a little complex.

Train to Boppard: Regular fare for two is 60-70€, but you can do better. At Heidelberg Hbf station, get a "Rheinland-Pfalz Ticket" daypass - 26€ for two from a ticket machine - to travel to Boppard (or St. Goar) on the regional trains. (The R-P ticket isn't actually valid in Heidelberg, but you can buy it there; you will need another ticket, 5.10€ each from a VRN machine, to first reach Ludwigshafen, where the R-P ticket kicks in.) The 8:33 and 10:33 trains from H'berg make for the quickest trip - about 2 hours. With either departure time, the connecting train in Ludwigshafen leaves after 9 am (the earliest you can use the R-P ticket on weekdays.)

The S-Bahn train from Heidelberg to Ludwigshafen is first, then the Regional Express train to Mainz, then another to RE train to Boppard. You'll reach Boppard at 10:38 (or 12:38.)

You can find train itineraries on your own for the day in question (schedules do vary by day) at the DB page below. Use "Heidelberg Hbf" as your start and "Boppard Hbf" (or St Goar) as your destination. Also, you should enter "Ludwigshafen(Rh)Hbf" as a stopover, with no stopover time, to ensure that you are traveling on the proper route for the R-P ticket (travel via Frankfurt isn't allowed.) AND - be sure to click on "only local transport" under the "means of transport" heading - that will give you regional trains that are eligible on the R-P daypass.

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Once your itinerary choices pop up, you can click on the white-on-red arrow at the left of each one to see what changes of train you will make, the change times, and the platform numbers in question.

OK - you're in BOPPARD, so drop bags at your hotel and explore the town a bit on foot. You might want to head up to the chairlift ride for some scenery and a beer or other refreshment at the Cafe Vierseenblick or the Gedeonseck: http://www.gedeonseck-boppard.de/ You'd also have time today to pay a visit to St. Goar's Rheinfels castle to the south - the 11-minute train ride to St. Goar would be free with your R-P daypass.

Day 2: KD Rhine cruise with visit to Bacharach and Oberwesel. Take train from Boppard south to Bingen (22 minutes, 11.40€ for two on any regional train.) Walk to dock. Catch 9:30 or 10:30 boat to Bacharach. Several options here - walk the old town, visit a winery, have lunch. Catch 15:15 boat north to Oberwesel. Walk old town wall, maybe some refreshment. Catch 17:35 boat north to Boppard for evening.

Oberwesel: flyhahn.com/cities/oberwesel-travel-guide.htm

Bacharach: tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g580190-Bacharach_Rh…

Show your train tickets at the KD dock for a 20% discount on the KD cruise!

Day 3: Daytrip to Linz, the most attractive of all the Rhine towns, IMO, and Marksburg. Both are on the east bank of the Rhine - Linz 35 min. north of Koblenz, and Marksburg in Braubach, 11 min. south and easy to reach by train. Use "Linz(Rhein)" and "Braubach" to find train itineraries.

Linz: http://www.linz.de/pdf/Linz_Prospekt_2007.pdf

Marksburg: http://www.marksburg.de/english/frame.htm (hike up or take shuttle)

Day 4: Daytrip to Moselkern and Burg Eltz; evening back in Boppard. Here's how to walk to the castle from Moselkern:

bensbauernhof.com/burgeltzfrommoselkern.html

Day 5: Daytrip by train to Cochem and river cruise. Tour the amazing old town on foot. Tour Reichsburg, see the free-flight falconry show there too - photos: falknerei-reichsburg-cochem.de/fotobuch.htm One-hour cruise each way to Beilstein with the Kolb company:

http://www.kolb-mosel.com/en/tours.php

For train outings on days 3-5, use the VRM 3-day mini-group ticket - 40€ for 3 days for two, good after 9 am weekdays, anytime on Sat or Sun. Buy at a ticket machine on the train platform in Boppard.

You don't have to do all this in the order prescribed. Weather may play a role for much of it.

Feel free to ask about details/concerns, etc.

Russ

Edited: 27 May 2013, 14:08
Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,647 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help please for 5 nights from Bacharach

About the VRM 3-day mini-group ticket/daypass:

I failed to give you the link:

vrminfo.de/en/…

And I gave you the "old" price in error. I'll blame the VRM website. The link above wrongly indicates a price of 40€ - the English pages have not been updated recently. The price is actually 42.40€ now.

Sydney
Level Contributor
271 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary help please for 5 nights from Bacharach

hey thanks everyone, particulalry Russ for the incredible suggestions. We only just recently locked in Bacharach as our place to stay but can use the itinerary Russ has suggested plus other advice received in any event.

THANKS HEAPS!!

7. Re: Itinerary help please for 5 nights from Bacharach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2014, 18:15