We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bacharach/Rhine River Cruise Itinerary Help

Which Bacharach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Allentown, PA
Level Contributor
301 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Bacharach/Rhine River Cruise Itinerary Help

I will have only 2 nights and 1 full day to experience the middle Rhine area. I will be arriving in Bacharach in the evening and venturing out the next day by train to Bingen. I would like to visit Rudesheim and then board a river cruise boat and venture north with stops in St. Goar and Boppard only. From Boppard I plan to take the train back the Bacharach and have some time to spend there along with a late dinner. I will be leaving from Bacharach and heading to Heidelberg by train the next morning after breakfast. I know this will be a bit rushed, but can anyone advise me if this would be a good itinerary or if I should take a stop out or add a stop? Also, I am wondering how long it will take to cruise from Bingen to Boppard and if it is easy to hop on and off of the boats? Should I not cruise for the entire length I plan or take trains for a larger portion? Thanks much in advance!

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,192 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bacharach/Rhine River Cruise Itinerary Help

"can anyone advise me if this would be a good itinerary..."

Sounds alright to me for the most part if you're spending an entire day.

"...or if I should take a stop out or add a stop?"

Bingen IMO isn't quite as good as the other destinations; maybe just get off the train there and ferry over to Rüdesheim directly. I think Oberwesel is quite an attractive place - walking the old town wall and the town itself in an hour or two is quite nice. O'wesel is only 5 train minutes south of St. Goar.

"Also, I am wondering how long it will take to cruise from Bingen to Boppard..."

2 hrs., 20min. Schedule: k-d.com/en/…

You can end the cruise in St. Goar (trip time 1 hr. 25 min.) and see the St. Goar-Boppard stretch by train (11 min.) to save some time if you need to.

"and if it is easy to hop on and off of the boats? Should I not cruise for the entire length I plan or take trains for a larger portion?"

I'd stay on the boat. It's generally easier to stop in St. Goar and/or Oberwesel by train on the way south from Boppard. If you have to choose beween St. Goar and Oberwesel, I'd stop in St. Goar only if you want to see Rheinfels Castle; Oberwesel is architecturally more interesting and a better choice for a quick walk-around.

Find train schedules here:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

The Rheinland-Pfalz ticket (daypass) gets you by train from Bacharach to Bingen, and from Boppard to St. Goar to Oberwesel to Bacharach. It's 22€ for one, 26€ for two. Note weekday hours restrictions and ban on use of high-speed (IC, ICE, EC) trains.

vrminfo.de/en/…

Present the R-P ticket at the ferry dock in Bingen - I believe it works there for free passage - and also at the KD cruise boat dock in Rüdesheim (20% cruise fare discount.)

Edited: 23 September 2013, 04:37
Allentown, PA
Level Contributor
301 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bacharach/Rhine River Cruise Itinerary Help

Thank you so much! Based on your advise I will take the train from Bacharach to Bingen and ferry over to Rudesheim for an early AM visit, then take the boat all the way to Boppard, see the town of Boppard, take train to Oberwesel and then back to Bacharach. Depending on how the day goes I will plan to stop at St Goar only if there is enough time. The discount train ticket for 2 also seems like a good option. If you can think of any other tips please let me know. I plan to have dinner in Bacharach both nights and am staying at the Altkolnischer Hof, so if you know of any good restaurants there to recommend that would be appreciated. I plan to take train and overnight in Heidelberg after leaving Bacharach.

nyc
Level Contributor
451 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bacharach/Rhine River Cruise Itinerary Help

I really enjoyed the chairlift in Boppard as a beautiful lookout high above the river. Not too far a walk from town.

Allentown, PA
Level Contributor
301 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bacharach/Rhine River Cruise Itinerary Help

Hello all, still trying to plan my itinerary and in doing further research have decided not to visit Rudesheim since many reviews I have read suggest it is too touristy, so my question now would be since I will be staying in Bacharach, should I consider not starting my cruise from Bingen and instead cruise directly from Bacharach to Boppard vs taking the train to Bingen and starting it from there. Wondering if the section of the Rhine between Bingen and Bacharach is something I should not miss. I would be starting my cruise early AM and have all day to spend before having a late dinner in Bacharach.

So My 2 itinerary options would be:

A)

Cruise from Bingen > Boppard (take train from Boppard to Bacharach with stops in St Goar and Oberwesel)

B)

Cruise from Bacharach > Boppard (take train from Boppard to Bacharach with stops in St Goar and Oberwesel, and spend more time in each of the towns)

Russ, would much appreciate your valued advise on this.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,192 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bacharach/Rhine River Cruise Itinerary Help

"...so my question now would be since I will be staying in Bacharach, should I consider not starting my cruise from Bingen and instead cruise directly from Bacharach to Boppard vs taking the train to Bingen and starting it from there. "

Plan A is better. The area near Bingen is very scenic, and you'll see another 9 or 10 castles on the way to Bacharach; if you have the time, you should cruise this part. Starting in Bingen makes the cruise 45 minutes longer, and it takes10 minutes to ride the train from Bacharach to Bingen, so you probably will have to spend an additional 1.5 - 2.0 hours in order to cruise this section. And it costs 5€ more if you start in Bingen.

The Bingen-Bacharach segment is more attractive than the St. Goar - Boppard segment, in my opinion. If you don't have the time or the € for Bingen-Boppard, I would suggest Plan C: Bingen-St. Goar instead of Bacharach-Boppard, as I suggested in my previous post. The price for both cruises is the same - and Bingen-St. Goar (1:25) saves you 15 minutes of cruise time over Bacharach-Boppard (1:40.)

Allentown, PA
Level Contributor
301 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bacharach/Rhine River Cruise Itinerary Help

Thanks Russ. So in your plan C suggestion would you say I should skip Boppard altogether or is it worth seeing in your opinion enough to take the train there from St Goar? Just trying to minimize all of the boat/train legs of the trip. Was also thinking it might make since to stay in either Boppard or Bingen as opposed to Bacharach which might make it a bit easier logistically. I will be leaving the next day for Heidelberg via Bingen. Any thoughts on that? Appreciate all your suggestions!

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,192 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bacharach/Rhine River Cruise Itinerary Help

I like Boppard very much and have stayed there several times. It's larger and there's maybe a little more to do than in Bacharach - a nice chairlift ride to the Vierseenblick lookout, a busy town square with several outdoor cafes, a nice river promenade, and several in-town wineries. Bacharach has some nice half-timbered buildings, but if you wander the streets of Boppard, you'll find a surprising number of remarkable half-timbered buildings mixed in with the somewhat more modern ones. It's only about 10 minutes by train from St. Goar, so do visit Boppard if you have the time, or stay there - there are many lodging options.

Fruita, Colorado
Level Contributor
35 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bacharach/Rhine River Cruise Itinerary Help

This sounds like a nice trip. My wife and I will be heading to that area next summer. We are flying into Frankfurt, arriving at about 1:00 PM, or 1300 hours. We are thinking of taking the train to Bacharach and spending the afternoon/evening in Bacharach. We are also thinking of taking the boat cruise towards St. Goar. Spending some time in St Goar, and then heading back to Oberwesel to spend some time and then back to Bacharach to spend the night.

Is it practical to go see the Mosel as well or just visit the Rhine area. I use to be stationed at Hahn AB and trying to figure out if I want to see the base or remember it the way it was.

What would you suggest? Our original thought was to spend a few days in the area and flying out of Frankfurt to Copenhagen on Sunday.

Any thoughts?

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,192 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bacharach/Rhine River Cruise Itinerary Help

"We are flying into Frankfurt, arriving at about 1:00 PM, or 1300 hours. We are thinking of taking the train to Bacharach and spending the afternoon/evening in Bacharach. We are also thinking of taking the boat cruise towards St. Goar."

This in just one afternoon, right? Don't know your dates. It would be possible to cruise from Bacharach at 17:15 - the last boat - to St. Goar. But it's probably best to cruise from Bingen (which you bypass on the way to Bacharach) to St. Goar (a 1.5-hr. cruise) to enjoy the scenery more fully - a cruise from Bacharach to St. Goar is a mere 40 minutes long and omits some good sights. And it's better to do this without having to lug your bags with you. So I suggest leaving the cruise until the following day or later. Even if your flight is on time and all goes smoothly, you are unlikely to reach Bacharach before 15:00. I'd plan on enjoying Bacharach and call it a day - or maybe take the 5-min. train ride to Oberwesel for a walk around the old town..

"Our original thought was to spend a few days in the area..."

Why not? The next day, take a train south to Bingen and cruise north to see St. Goar and Rheinfels castle; after that, catch a train to Boppard, a nice town with some Roman remnants, some fine old-world buildings, and a great chairlift ride.

…staticflickr.com/2769/4245012678_95c5c8b305…

panoramio.com/…5895749

You could do a day trip to the Mosel to visit Burg Eltz castle and/or Cochem:

Cochem w/ Reichsburg Castle: hotel-karl-mueller.de/uploads/…burg2_01.jpg

www.burg-eltz.de

Or visit this excellent collection of historical buildings in nearby Bad Sobernheim:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g494948-d1…

Marksburg Castle - the only never-destroyed Rhine castle - is very worthwhile and lies just south of Koblenz on the opposite bank of the Rhine from Bacharach:

www.marksburg.de

Fruita, Colorado
Level Contributor
35 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bacharach/Rhine River Cruise Itinerary Help

Our intention is to fly in to Frankfurt, and then take the train to Bacharach. Were thinking of spending the rest of the afternoon/evening just enjoying the fact that we are in Europe and Germany....

And then the next day we would go to St. Goar and explore the river and Oberwesel. Just enjoying the sights and the company. Then we thought about spending the night in Bacharch (the second night) and maybe head to Trier or Cochem the next day. Were not really into big cities, but would rather sit back and relax with the locals.

Thank you for responding...