We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FAO Heimdall and Greek-Traveller :)

London
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
FAO Heimdall and Greek-Traveller :)

We're back chaps, thank you once again for all your advice, it was invaluable to us, the fact that you encouraged us to definitely try Naxos even when we considered going elsewhere, thank you for perserving and staying steadfast in your love for Naxos.

How did we get on?

We stayed 2 days in St Georges beach area but our particular location was noisy at night and the hotel needed some improvement, so we decided to move to Stelida instead for the duration of our stay and it proved to be a good choice for us as we absolutely loved it there. We climbed the hills in the area with our children strapped to our backs, and being so close to the beautiful beaches of Anna and Plaka, gave our children hours of sandcastle building entertainment.

The views we had from our apartment in Stelida were incredible, at the back were the rolling mountains covered in wild flowers, at the front was a rather rugged beach which would see fishermen and windsurfers sharing the space. After a good day's trek and time on the beach, we'd head back and enjoy a glass of wine on the balcony as our children slept safely in the adjoining room - it was complete bliss and so incredibly peaceful.

The weather was superb as were the lovely sunsets. There were quite a few tourists out and about - in fact we left one day after a boat of 80, yes 80, (very hormonal) teenagers arrived on the island - their poor teacher was having quite the time of it!

On the restaurant front, Irinis was closed, as was Scirocco, but Maro's was open as was Il Girasole, we also tried Meze, Kozi, and in the area of Anna we tried the Mermaid (on recommendation of Stelida local girl) which was superb as well. On the whole, the restaurants provided good honest food which was very tasty and hearty, and the greek salads were something special.

We drove out to Demitra's Temple which was a very scenic drive in a very remote area, the views were incredible with spectacular mountains in the backdrop of the temple. My 3 year old knocked on the door at the site asking for Demitra as she was convinced he was home ;)

And the wildflowers - breathtaking - what a perfect time of year to go, it was absolutely covered in wildflowers, even on the sand at Plaka beach, the explosion of colour, and the sweet aroma is something I will keep with me for a very long time.

We took over 4 hours of video footage! And many photos, we are working our way through it all, once we do, we'll send you the link :)

As it is with all good holidays, there is that element of missing a place before one has actually left it, and this was true of Naxos for us. We very much look forward to returning.

I remain indebted to you both for being so kind and generous with your information to us, thank you, this forum is a much richer place due to your knowledge, positive spirits and kindness.

KR

Osbie.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: FAO Heimdall and Greek-Traveller :)

Hi Osbie,

I'm very happy you enjoyed your holiday on Naxos! Thank you for the feedback — it's good to hear that we have been of help. :o)

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,761 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: FAO Heimdall and Greek-Traveller :)

Hi ,

and many thanks for your feedback and kind words.

I am very surprised to find that the Spiros area was noisy - and especially at this time of year - but it seems you found an excellent choice in Stelida. The Mermaid (Gorgona) in Agia Anna is one of my favourites when I am heading in that direction.

This time of year is also breathtaking for the flowers and all the blooming, like you say. I will follow in your tracks in a week, when I leave to celebrate the Greek Easter in Naxos with my Greek friends. I hope you have saved some of the nice weather and temperatures for me !

:-))

Looking forward to your photos, and with your intention of returning to Naxos it might be that we will meet some day !

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,502 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: FAO Heimdall and Greek-Traveller :)

What a lovely report Osbie, I really enjoyed reading it :-)

Dungannon, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: FAO Heimdall and Greek-Traveller :)

Great report Osbie.

You have certainly whetted the appetite- just 7 weeks today and we will be arriving at the port of Naxos from Paros

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
498 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: FAO Heimdall and Greek-Traveller :)

Thank you for the report...Hope the flowers will still be blooming in four weeks.

Desford, United...
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: FAO Heimdall and Greek-Traveller :)

A most enjoyable read Osbie.

We haven't been to Naxos for five years now but will be back there in mid June.

Antwerp
Level Contributor
366 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: FAO Heimdall and Greek-Traveller :)

Yep Naxos... you love it, or you hate it...

No probs...WE LOVE IT!!!!

and like so many, only 47 sleeps to go.... ;o))

But you were right to switch to Stellida.... I wouldn't go for FREE, to Agios Georgios...to much people and to much noise...but every one has the right to his own choice of course... no probs with that... and glad you liked Nisi Naxos....

;o))

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: FAO Heimdall and Greek-Traveller :)

Stelida works well if you rent a car for your entire stay, since it is isolated, and you need to drive to have a beach swim.

Antwerp
Level Contributor
366 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: FAO Heimdall and Greek-Traveller :)

#Stelida works well if you rent a car for your entire stay, since it is isolated, and you need to drive to have a beach swim.#

Can't argue with that TJ!!!!

Belgium
Destination Expert
for Naxos
Level Contributor
460 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: FAO Heimdall and Greek-Traveller :)

Next time you go to Naxos, try to go a bit further down south, direction Mikri Vigla/Kastraki & I'll send you a list of gorgeous beaches in that area. You definitely need a car but like flcrx, I don't like Ag. Georgios at all & I am always happy to drive back to Kastraki to have a relaxed time on the beach with my friends and visit nearby gorgeous beaches which seem more quiet vs the busy Xora/St. George//Plaka area and beaches.

@flxr : 43 nights to go for me ;) ...

Get answers to your questions about Naxos Town